Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
But the OP said they used to be a close-neighbor neighborhood.
When someone new moves in, I feel the onus is on the current residents to reach out first.

if the new neighbor says, "thanks, but no thanks", that's fine, but at least you know their name!
Not so fine really... you're stuck with an at best anti social presence.
At worst... it can really be worse.

House next door with the nice friendly older couple sold last year to one of those unpleasant
"thanks, but no thanks" families and just this week they put out a for sale sign. No specific idea
why (they don't talk about anything anyhow) but I think it's a divorce which wouldn't surprise.

Hopefully the next buyers will prove appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 05:39 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I hope they do, too!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 AM

722 posts, read 1,108,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not so fine really... you're stuck with an at best anti social presence.
At worst... it can really be worse.

House next door with the nice friendly older couple sold last year to one of those unpleasant
"thanks, but no thanks" families and just this week they put out a for sale sign. No specific idea
why (they don't talk about anything anyhow) but I think it's a divorce which wouldn't surprise.

Yeah, we have had about 3 divorces in our immediate area and 3 unhappy relationships and that does seems to spill out into the neighborhood in one way or another. If they actually did keep to themselves that would be one thing, but they tend to share their misery. It's unfortunate.

We had a couple with three young children next to us one time and it didn't seem like they had the best relationship. And I could hear him cussing out his dogs at times through the fence, it was a privacy fence. I thought it was odd that he really went off on the dogs but oh, well. Turns out he was cussing out his kids.

The couple in the house behind us also have a weird relationship. The wife got a bunch of dogs, which the husband isn't happy about, and she tells him to just leave them outside and let them bark and then he complains that she cranks up the volume on the TV to 40 so she can't hear them. He tries to bring the dogs in, she gets mad and puts them back out. Whether this is a power struggle between them or not it impacts us with the dog constantly barking. Especially since their house is back further on their lot so it is closer to our house and they have an elevated deck. That dog is right on top of us and it depends on who is "winning" at home on what our experience in our back yard is like.

I am not super friendly myself, but I don't make everyone else suffer because of my problems. We got invaded by weeds from the dog-lady (because they don't bother with the back yard since the dogs ruined it) and now those weeds are creeping into my good neighbors yard. So we are spending the money to have them killed even though they will just come back after a while. I know common sense and courtesy are dead and I shouldn't expect it but I still do.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 AM

162 posts, read 198,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
It's junk vehicles, not actual garbage. They don't run, just sit there. I have tried the HOA, they basically told me they can't enforce covenants anymore but I can come to the next meeting where they talk about updating them. I also tried the county, I think unless the HOA gets involved I am kind of stuck with it. We stayed put because my son liked it here and wanted to stay in this house until he was grown and I really didn't want to buy another house. I had thought this one would be it. He has changed his mind now though and I can't say I think it makes sense to stay either. My husband is thrilled. Oh, boy.

Learned from a gal at work whose husband works in the building industry here we are indeed in a less desirable neighborhood. That was not the case when we moved in. But I think we still have a window of getting out easy before it really goes downhill. We are just going to start looking for our "retirement" home even though that is a ways off. It is a lack of friendliness, wmweeza. I think a lack of consideration too. But we still have three pretty good neighbors left.
LOL, move with us to Olympia Washington! We can be friendly neighbors! We are leaving California for dozens of reasons, but part of it is the neighborhood change, it just doesn't feel like home. Mostly nice people have moved in, but they are in different places then we are in life. Also they don't seem to believe in saying "Hello".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate