Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,311,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Just one.
Your buyer.

Two buyers who engage in a bidding war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,456,856 times
I'm not a realtor, so I don't know how many people a realtor would consider necessary to have come visit a home for an open house to be considered "successful".

In my own opinion, an open house would be successful if it results in at least one reasonable offer being made on your property, no matter how many people actually attended the open house.

Years ago my parents were trying to sell their home and after listing it with a local realtor failed to get any offers at the level that the realtor had originally led my parents to believe was realistic for their house, we decided to try to sell it on our own. We scheduled an open house for two days in a single weekend, placing ads in the local newspaper as well as a newspaper for the nearest large metropolitan area (the New York Times). I can't remember now how many people came to see the house that weekend, but we ended up with two people bidding against each other to buy the house. The winning offer ($365K) was just $5000 less than the figure the realtor had told my parents she could get for the house, and my parents didn't have to pay any realtor's commission since their contract with the realtor had ended. We considered our open house to be a success.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:29 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,181,814 times
Smile Another hot area

Northern New Jersey

Open house - 3 weeks ago

18 came

5 offers - all reasonable

Bidding war ensued - all is good

I think my daughter considers this is a success especially since it appraised over the sales price.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM

10,894 posts, read 21,852,908 times
30 showed up-wow! In my metro of 750k if we get 2 or 3 visitors it's great. 0-1 is "normal" in my location.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:32 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,163,491 times
We listed last Thursday and held open house today. Five appointments before today, and our realtor said that 11 groups came to see it. We're thinking that we at least priced it right, otherwise nobody would have come.

During our open house, we went to see another open house in the area that was competitive with ours. The door was closed. We banged on it and there was no answer. We went around the back and the agent was sitting at the kitchen table, reading a book and oblivious to the world. We knocked on the window and she let us in. She later told us that we were the only people that had shown up so far today. Duh!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,082,948 times
Where we live in northern VA 10-12 people is normal. Open house is successful because agent gets a chance to meet potential customers and get some computer work done in between visitors. Occasionally a buyer might come from an open house, but I don't think it's all that common.

By the way, this is somewhat of a seller's market, and a lot of homes sell before being listed. Home that make it to the open house stage are usually on the B list. That may be one reason most of the visitors are neighbors or people trying to gauge comps before setting the price for their own listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate