Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 PM

8,102 posts, read 8,254,577 times

Advertisements

I am aware of a condo building in Dallas that has a no smoking AND no pets policy. I was really surprised it exists and maintains its rules. But it seems to work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,440,429 times
Yes. There are no smoking rules in many of the condos I looked at in DC. Like a no pets rules you can pass them and fine people who break them. Or choose not to enforce them. I feel as though many of these rules were okayed to appease residents who don't like smoke, pets or whatever. They are next to possible to police unless you conduct random checks of units. Which you kinda can't.

Funny story, when I was moving out of one place, I had these guys who REEKED of smoke taking my furniture to the moving truck. One of my neighbors complained about the smell and called the management. The management came over, apologized and went back to managing. She then called the fire department claiming there was a fire! The firemen came out and chided her for wasting their time when they smelled my movers.

So yeah, these rules are there to appease people.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:23 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,191,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
State law is a huge part and you need to consult your HOA management attorney to see if a ban is even legal. If it is allowed then you need the percentage of unit owner votes as specified in the bylaws to pass. Usually it's 3/4 of the homeowners (not renters, unit owners only).
If I were buying non smoking would be a huge plus for me. What about smokers who are already there as owners?

Old 04-24-2017, 04:06 AM

11,019 posts, read 6,555,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I am aware of a condo building in Dallas that has a no smoking AND no pets policy. I was really surprised it exists and maintains its rules. But it seems to work for them.

Until the "emotional support" animal contingent descends upon the building.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 AM

24,523 posts, read 18,044,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm always blown away at how self-entitled and inconsiderate most dog owners are. If you don't own your own yard, you're not entitled to have Fido **** and crap in my yard. In a communal living situation, your Fido is not entitled to **** and crap on the lawn the rest of us use.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,684,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
If I were buying non smoking would be a huge plus for me. What about smokers who are already there as owners?
The only way would be yo grandfather in existing owners.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,199,495 times
Legally, how can you tell owners that they can't smoke inside their own unit? I can see an owner telling a tenant who is renting his unit that they don't allow smoking but this is going a little too far.

It reminds me of the condos that say "no pets" to owners. If I have a strictly inside cat, how is that bothering anybody else in my own unit?

This is the USA, not communist China people. As long as smoking is still legal in our country, I don't see how you can tell people what they can do in their own home. Are you going to have periodic checks to see if someone is smoking? What are you going to do if you find out they have been smoking during a check? Fine them? Force them to leave?

I'm an ex-smoker myself but this is really just too much.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Legally, how can you tell owners that they can't smoke inside their own unit?
It's about who the YOU is.
In a condo the YOU is the group he belongs to agreeing to make a rule.

Quote:
I'm an ex-smoker myself but this is really just too much.
Actually enforcing a rule (or law) is very different than making one.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:05 AM

7,996 posts, read 10,350,166 times
I think (don't take my word for it) that bans on smoking (and pets) are completely legal. Reason being that both are choices people make. Generally speaking, if it's a choice, it's not discrimination. You may have to grandfather some people in however.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 AM

8,102 posts, read 8,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wow! That's so true! Good point; wonder how this building is dealing with that issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate