Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times

Advertisements

Recently I've seen reports that current buyers apparently prefer smaller houses. Or maybe it's that they can only afford the smaller houses. Same result, either way.

I've also read (and noticed) that very little new construction includes such houses. Apparently builders continue to build mostly 3,000-5,00 sf McMansions. What do you make of this?

I realize that builders make more money when they build big, but if nobody is buying them you'd think they'd start building smaller. Then again, I'm not in the construction biz so what do I know?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Recently I've seen reports that current buyers apparently prefer smaller houses.
Apparently builders continue to build mostly 3,000-5,000 sf McMansions.

What do you make of this?
Reporters are talking to two (or more) different audiences.

First timer buyer and budget conscious = smaller
Move up buyer and spendthrift = larger

Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM

748 posts, read 833,659 times
An issue is the margin of profit on investment (ROI) when building a home. The bigger the home, the more economies of scale, the less per square foot to build something. Selling a larger home equates (often) to a larger return on the investment. Investors seek profits.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Recently I've seen reports that current buyers apparently prefer smaller houses. Or maybe it's that they can only afford the smaller houses. Same result, either way.

I've also read (and noticed) that very little new construction includes such houses. Apparently builders continue to build mostly 3,000-5,00 sf McMansions. What do you make of this?

I realize that builders make more money when they build big, but if nobody is buying them you'd think they'd start building smaller. Then again, I'm not in the construction biz so what do I know?

Thoughts?

Not true, depends on the area. We built in NW Indiana last year and the builders home plans start at 1700 square feet and the largest plan is 2,700. Most of the home builders around here are not building bigger homes as that trend is gone. There are still a few that offer bigger plans of course, but in our area the homes being built are closer to 2000 sq ft than 3.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
When the market demands smaller homes, and builders founder with large home inventory, there will be an adjustment.

But, as long as the market absorbs larger homes, widely desires larger homes de facto, what is the motivation for the builder to fight the market?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM

749 posts, read 735,075 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
The market provides what the market demands.

Maybe the people who want smaller houses are buying used houses. But obviously there is adequate demand for these (in my opinion) stupid, ugly McMansions.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:02 AM

35,079 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
New, small to medium sized SFHs are just not being built in many locations. Median HHI in my area is between $30k-$40k, depending on the town. The cheapest new construction that I've seen is around $200k for about 1500 sq. ft. Most new construction is over 2000 sq. ft and over $250k. Compared to many areas, this is a bargain, but these are not fancy homes by any stretch and seem out of sync with local income realities.

Personally, I don't know who is buying them - most likely retirees from outside the area bringing money in. I don't know many people able to afford homes in that range. Most folks in this area can only afford older homes not in great shape.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
If what you say is correct, there will soon be bargain-basement prices on large houses built by distressed builders.

Personally, I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 AM

749 posts, read 735,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
If what you say is correct, there will soon be bargain-basement prices on large houses built by distressed builders.

Personally, I wouldn't bet on it.
The market always corrects itself, and somebody takes it in the shorts in the process.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Another cause for lack of smaller new homes ( <= 1000 sq ft) can be city planning and zoning rules. The town where I lived for 38 years (1973-2011), over the years steadily increased the minimum requirements of size and appearance that they would approve for new construction. The "starter" house I bought new in 1973 ( 3/1 ranch on slab) would not be allowed to be built today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate