Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM

132 posts, read 272,243 times

Advertisements

A 1.5 inches hail storm passed by a couple of weeks ago after the inspection. The closing is next week. Now We are a little worried about the condition of the roof and I am wondering if we could bring a roofer or the previous inspector to the closing with us. We do have it in the contract that the house needs to be in the same condition as before.

Btw, First time home buyers here. Our agent is just nonexistent. He basically ignored all of our concerns. Not only did he laugh at our worries, but also he is going on vacation and won't be there at the closing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 08:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr2163 View Post
...and I am wondering if we could bring a roofer or the previous inspector...
...to look the house over TOMORROW?

Yes, you should.

If there's an issue related to the storm the current owners insurance should get involved
as well as YOUR ATTORNEY regarding the prompt and thorough repairs needed to keep
the home in the same condition that your lenders expect and getting the repairs done asap.

Ideally that would be before the date of closing, but could also mean postponing the closing,
or making a cash arrangement where you do the work after settlement.

But the first step is assessing the damage.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
You're the buyer, right? You could bring a roofer to the closing office to testify if you like but you skipped saying to are going to bring the roofer or inspector who saw it before the storm to the house you want to buy. Have him check the house asap.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:30 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Had a somewhat similar situation a couple of houses ago. We were the sellers. The inspector found hail damage. We decided it must have occurred about 4 months prior (I had taken pictures of the hail on the deck it was so bad). Called Our State Farm agent, he knew exactly what storm I was speaking of. We could not get the roof replaced before closing, but State Farm had a provision where they would pay the roofer direct, leaving us out of it (so we couldn't take check and cash it ourselves) as well as leaving out the mortgage company, who of course by then would have no interest in the home. The buyers were agreeable to that, roof was replaced about 20 days after closing, and I learned to inspect the roof after every hail storm bigger than pea size.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You're the buyer, right? You could bring a roofer to the closing office to testify if you like but you skipped saying to are going to bring the roofer or inspector who saw it before the storm to the house you want to buy. Have him check the house asap.

Yes, sorry I didn't state it clear.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I don't know how bad the storm was or whether it's right to worry or not. I'll leave that to you. But you are confusing two events that are not the same thing. Let me clarify Closing is when you go in, probably to the title company, and sign all the papers. An inspector is useless there. Final walk-through, is where you walk through the house one last time to make sure everything is as it should be. You could certainly bring your previous inspector, or a roofer, along with you for that final walk through. Prior to closing.

If your agent is not available or responsive, contact his broker.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If the storm was a couple of weeks ago, you should have had someone look at the roof a couple of weeks ago. Why are you waiting so long? If there is damage, you cannot get home owner's insurance.

First, either you or the seller needs to get a roofer over there to see if there's damage. If there is, the seller needs to immediately file a claim with insurance to get an adjuster out there. Depending on how quickly that happens, you will either close on time or have to extend your closing date.

Get someone over there NOW, not at your walk thru and not the day of closing, but now.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Doesn't make sense why you have waited? You should have had your attorney call their attorney the day after the storm. At any rate......call your RE attorney ASAP! Insist on a roof and siding inspection. If there's damage have the owners put in a claim with their home owners insurance company and have it fixed. No big deal!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the advice!! We don't have any house buying experience and our agent kept telling us that it was not a big deal. He also said that the inspection contingency has passed so we couldn't hire an inspector or roofer ( which now I know is not true). That's basically why it is got delayed. We did drive to the neighborhood to see if there is any sign of damage but didn't find anything.

With only a few days left, we need to act quickly to find someone to look at the roof. One thing to add, the inspection report ( before the storm) stated that the current roof has about five year left. And the seller gave us 4000$ credit for that.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't know how bad the storm was or whether it's right to worry or not. I'll leave that to you. But you are confusing two events that are not the same thing. Let me clarify Closing is when you go in, probably to the title company, and sign all the papers. An inspector is useless there. Final walk-through, is where you walk through the house one last time to make sure everything is as it should be. You could certainly bring your previous inspector, or a roofer, along with you for that final walk through. Prior to closing.

If your agent is not available or responsive, contact his broker.

Ah, walk through is what I meant. Thanks for pointing it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate