Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Hm....if I talk to them and want to look at it I can still use my own representation?
I'm not an expert so my suggestion may not be sufficient so take it with a grain of salt - when you first speak to the listing agent, tell them you have a buyer's agent but you're doing your own research on this property. You can't go wrong with stating that up front.

The Realtors on this board can offer better insight on this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Hm....if I talk to them and want to look at it I can still use my own representation? I really don't need a whole nother level between me and trying to get questions answered at this phase. Its easier to email. But I will call as an experiment how is that?

I suspect they are not getting hundreds or thousands of emails. This is the Upper Peninsula, not Atlanta.
Email is easier. But, it is not getting it done, is it?
Fact: In a twitter/snapchat/mobile device world, no one is reading your long emails. ONE question in an email is about 20% more than most people read.

So, call the listing agent.

"To be clear and up front, I will be using a buyers' agent to represent me.
Now, can you tell me, please,
yadda
yadda
yadda yadda yadda...."

It is the listing agent's job to sell the property, and if they won't talk to you, they may be doing a disservice to their client.

But as Falcon says, don't milk them of all their time and then spring an agent on them.
Déclassé behavior, at best, that. Your agent is getting paid to do legwork and dig up fact.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
This is the busy season for many realtors. If you aren't on a particular time table, you might get more answers after June, and definitely in late fall/winter.

Having said that, are there realtors who have ads that talk about nature (or who make a point of noting it in their listing)? That might be a better choice for you, since it's a strong interest. If you really feel you have to beg for information, another (less busy) realtor might be the way to go. Someone just getting started, for example.

All the listings have potential for various wildlife. It is usually not discussed outside of hunting or fishing which is what most people are interested in. Once in a while a realtor will mention it but that doesn't mean the other listings don't have it. So why limit myself the the very few its mentioned? In an not particularly dense area that really does mean limit.

If there are any internet forums, neighborhood watch sites, local news sites or facebook pages for the neighborhood, they might be able to answer your questions. And, you might make some friends to hook up with after you move there.
There is a reddit forum for the UP that has 1000 readers. Thats for an area the size of Maryland with a total population a little over 300,000 total. Most towns are smaller than most neighborhoods. I hate to keep peppering the few there with questions considering the place is so big and many may not be familar with the areas I'm asking about.

Haven't found anything specific on facebook but will keep digging.

200 inches of snow is common. That is 16 feet. 4 season access is no joke.

Really I just want basic answers to what I consider basic questions before I start calling. I get that many won't know the answer to my loon question.

But a little more info on plowing and internet is not asking for much nor is I think the basic type of lake it is. Quiet nature type or lots of people happily jet skiing. The reason I post this isn't based on one email. Its a couple. Of course there are a couple non responses.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I am extremely sensitive to using someone's time. Answering an email on ones own schedule I would think its far better than phone tag, especially for initial stop/go information.

Not sure why I posted. In the realtor world its always the buyers fault.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Giesela, you asked a lot of questions, and got pretty good general answers to most of them. If you want more detail, just ask follow up questions that are more detailed. We can't read your mind for what you mean on every question. So ask again about those questions you want better answers on. Good luck

Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Sorry, but I thought that the agent's response was appropriate. He answered most of your questions in a way in which most people would. You could easily follow up if you needed more specifics.

Quote:
And yes Loons is a deal breaker.
As for the loons, I first thought that you were looking in the Traverse City area (I think you've posted about looking there before). There are vey few lakes in the Lower Peninsula where there are nesting loons on lakes which allow motors. Water sports--jet skis and water skiing--are much more prevalent in the Lower Peninsula than the Upper Peninsula, so the fact that motors are allowed may not be as conclusive. It will also depend upon the size of the lake. There are some larger lakes in the U.P. (and fishing is a primary activity on those lakes, so I can see why he mentioned it) where motors are allowed, yet there are secluded areas which support nesting loons.

Unfortunately, Common Loons aren't so common anymore. Below is a link to the Michigan Breeding Bird Atlas which shows generalized locations of nesting loons. The primary caveat is that the Atlas sometimes makes it appear that a bird is more prevalent than it actually is. That's because it was compiled over several years and each nest location over each year is documented--making it appear that there are multiple occurrences when there simply is movement among locations.

Common Loons will be seen on many lakes in the U.P. as they migrate through, but far fewer lakes will have nesting loons which will be around throughout the season. Your best chance of seeing them will be at the Seney National Wildlife Refuge. I can appreciate your passion for loons. They were some of my favorite companions during my canoeing days in Canada.

http://www.mibirdatlas.org/Portals/1...OLOaccount.pdf
Make sure to click on the link showing the comparison between the two atlas surveys. Those maps are a little more clear--yet still greatly generalized.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 04-25-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
I am extremely sensitive to using someone's time. Answering an email on ones own schedule I would think its far better than phone tag, especially for initial stop/go information.

Not sure why I posted. In the realtor world its always the buyers fault.
I'm sorry that you felt you were attacked. I thought we gave you decent advice on how best to get the answers you are seeking. FWIW, I'm not a realtor.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
See I don't call that reply about 4 season access an answer. I suppose I could word
an email: "how many feet off the nearest plowed county road is the cabin" "Who plows it" "If not the county, how much does it cost" "how much time after it snows till they get to this road". I'm not expecting that level of detail but I'm expecting more than yes there is access. There is access everywhere if you have a snowmobile. That is not an answer.

Internet is pretty important these days. How could they not answer?

And yes Loons is a deal breaker..
Uh, I get the desire to have loons nearby, but honestly this kind of info is a bit unrealistic for an agent to know off the top of the head. They certainly could ASK the owner or neighbors about it, but a better resource for YOU would be to contact an Audubon Society or other conservation group near the property.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I'm not a Realtor. I thought Falcon head and Mike Janquish gave good, fair and accurate advice that, as a consumer, sounds spot on.

Furthermore, I thought the response you received from the listing agent was polite and reasonably thorough. She/he did miss the boat on the Internet question. If I had read your initial email, I would have assumed that you were a looky-loo.

If you're a serious buyer, I'd strongly suggest you get your own representation now from the local area. If you pick wisely, they can probably answer all your questions themselves, eliminating the need to contact the listing agent until the appropriate time.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Since you want to use your own representation, hire that buyer agent now. An experienced buyer agent will be able to answer some of those questions on their own. Others they can look up for you, and then they can get that information directly from the listing agent.

The UP is made up of a bunch of small towns, and while you think the listing agent might have the answers to your questions, they likely don't. They cover a huge swath of area. So get a buyer agent. They will then know what kinds of questions you need answers to and can rule properties in or out for you based on your criteria.

And no it isn't always the buyer's fault, but I don't think you realize how generic your questions are. When I read your question and the agents response, it seemed like they answered your question (minus internet access). The problem is that in your mind, you wanted a more specific and detailed answer, but you didn't make it clear that is what you wanted. So you need to ASK specific and detailed questions. Agents aren't mind readers.

Last edited by Silverfall; 04-25-2017 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate