Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

We pulled out of buying a piece of land when the NEIGHBOR was playing games to make the seller's land unaccessible for utilities. I strongly suspect that they did it to drive the price down to almost nothing so they could buy it for one of their adult kids, plus they are trying to hide something about their own property. Developing the seller's land would bring in county inspectors who might detect something amiss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:03 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
A local hoa has a series of lawsuits against the builder 10 years after new construction. Apparently there are massive water leakage problems due to quality of construction and flashings. Builder says they met all warranty claims and obligations and blames the hoa on not maintaining properties correctly.

Hoa is raising dues t0 $375 per month for all units to cover repairs in the meantime and it will take a few years to correct all problems. They stated there is s risk of up to $700 more per month it could go up if the builder doesn't cover some of the repairs.

I say adios to this community.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:37 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
I withdrew when the inspection revealed that the home needed a new roof and the owners refused to do the work. The house needed other work (which I wasn't asking them to do, just the roof) and it was an all cash offer. They had a back-up offer so I guess they thought it would work out ok, however the back up offer fell through (loan problems) and the house sat. I came back again and made an offer 60K less than my original offer (and I would get the roof fixed myself). They accepted the offer!

Old 04-29-2017, 02:41 PM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
I just walked away from one when the sewer system inspection showed it was about to go. They didn't know if it would be a day, or a year (on the outside) but the quote to replace would have been well over $20,000 to fix.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
I made an accepted offer on a piece of rural property several years ago. On a whim, I stopped by the county recorder's office for an official map -- and was shocked to find that 20% of the 2 acres I thought I was buying were under an easement for a road that had never been put in. It meant (verified by the county rep) that the present septic system was illegal and that a new one would be almost impossible to configure given the required setbacks (the easement made an already long and skinny lot even skinnier). In short, I would be responsible for maintaining the strip, but couldn't plant/build/grade/fence or otherwise use the land in any way. The sellers were in deep denial and I paid a surveyor to verify that the county maps were correct and withdrew my offer. To this day I feel a great sense of relief at having dodged that bullet & won't ever make an offer on real estate again without stopping at the county first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate