Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:07 PM

33 posts, read 72,093 times

Advertisements

My agent posted on her social media webpage (with 1,000+ followers AND mutual friends) how much I will net from the sale of my home. She did not state the purchase or sale price - but stated my actual NET. She did not use my name but shared several details that made it clear to our mutual friends who she was talking about AND made it quite easy for anyone that read the post to figure out that it was me.

This clearly breaks the confidentiality clause of our contract. I do not feel comfortable or safe with people knowing how much money I will have after this sale closes and she was completely out of line posting it.

I asked her to remove the post and she eventually did but was rude about it, saying no one knew it was me. I explained how/why they knew it was me and she still argued that I was being silly. She apologized the following day and said she thought she was in the "Safe zone" when she posted it (which acknowledges that she finally realized what she did was wrong.)

So now what?

I did tell her broker as I have been paranoid since I found out this happen. She has stated that she has crazy people that follow her and crazy people that even came to my open house, so obviously I'm worried one of these crazy people might try to hurt me or steal my money or find a reason to sue me or who knows what.

The broker said shew as wrong and apologized. But now what? Is that it? We close this week and she gets to walk away with her commission and go on her merry way? I understand I can report her to the board, I'm not trying to get her to lose her job completely, but there should be some consequence for her and some compensation for me - not saying money but something to restore my privacy and safety (although I really can't think of what...)

So what happens in this case? Is there something I should be asking her or her broker for? Something I should be doing or saying? We have not closed yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Send a formal letter stating: broke contract = no money.
You'll need more words than that.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
I think you're overreacting. She's definitely in a grey area since you have so many mutual friends but she's essentially a salesperson and in order to get new clients she has to brag about what she got other clients. No one is going to hire you if you can't say what you've done for past clients.
I don't think you're going to get robbed.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
How much you bought the house for and how much you sell for are all public record. So... I'm not sure what the secret is here

Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
OP, I agree with you. I can't imagine a scenario where your net profit would be a blog entry. Who needs to know that?

While your sale price is public record, your mortgage and loans against it could radically alter the bottom line. Nobody's business I say.

I would probably approach the broker again and say that you feel very uncomfortable completing the sale with this woman. Maybe they will have another solution for you. Though I don't think you are in danger of being robbed unless you keep your profit in cash at your house (not a good idea) I find it amazing that anyone would share this information. Its just not professional behavior.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:49 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
OP, I agree with you. I can't imagine a scenario where your net profit would be a blog entry. Who needs to know that?

While your sale price is public record, your mortgage and loans against it could radically alter the bottom line. Nobody's business I say.

I would probably approach the broker again and say that you feel very uncomfortable completing the sale with this woman. Maybe they will have another solution for you. Though I don't think you are in danger of being robbed unless you keep your profit in cash at your house (not a good idea) I find it amazing that anyone would share this information. Its just not professional behavior.
Life is about 2nd chances. It doesn't sound to me like his agent meant anything devious. I say just finish the deal and move on. No need to make a mountain out of this. I'm sure she learned her lesson.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Here in TX, someone can pull up the deed history on a house, that shows mortgage amount and yr, and use a mortgage amortization table to get approximatr amount owed. Subtract that from list price, minus commissions, and you get a pretty good idea of what a seller is going to net.
Sorry, but I think you are overreacting. As long as you weren't named, and address wasn't named, you actually haven't had anything exposed that peopke couldn't easily figure out on their own.
I often do those calculations when looking at properties to see if seller is in a position to sell a home for what I think it's worth.
Your friends probably have a rough idea of if you have financial security...but they don't care. People that don't know you, don't care. And even if someone unsavory found out what you are going to net, most people don't put their money under their mattress.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:42 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
If she is a Realtor why have you not complained to the local Realtor Board. They have high standards.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:22 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I think you're overreacting. She's definitely in a grey area since you have so many mutual friends but she's essentially a salesperson and in order to get new clients she has to brag about what she got other clients. No one is going to hire you if you can't say what you've done for past clients.
I don't think you're going to get robbed.
I don't get how posting the "net" price helps her get new clients. Obviously, the net proceeds depend on a lot of different factors including whether a mortgage has to be paid off. So why would she post the net to begin with? And yeah, I think it's a total violation in that the closing hasn't happened yet. If she can't post the sold price until the closing, how can she post the net without being in violation of her contract?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:36 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,014 times
Imagine how her sellers are interpreting this....is the agent a novice? Or just not thinking?

Mae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate