Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times

Advertisements

Property sales are public information in my state and I believe all states.
Taking public information and using a tool to evaluate data should not be illegal.
The way to fight Zestimates is not through the law, it is to show that it is inaccurate and unreliable.

My neighbor recently sold their house. They listed it for $100,000 over the Zestimate. I thought it would not sell. It was under contract within days of being put on the market and has since been sold for the the list price.

Zestimate is bumped up 50K, mine has gone down 3K. Redfin estimates list mine as much higher and my neighbors house at less than it sold for as well.

If I want an estimate I will get a real estate agent and have them do some comps, but the available tools are nice to get a good understanding of what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
The price history on this townhome is hilarious. She is all over the place..and yes, its still for sale.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...13952055_zpid/
The price history at Redfin is just as crazy. https://www.redfin.com/IL/Glenview/2.../home/45509574

And, just to make things MORE confusong6, zillow has this same home listed twice
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...19087963_zpid/
That one shows property taxes at $35,000!)

Makes Ya wonder about the accuracy of BOTH sites.

I get the hate for big, bad Zillow. BUT plenty of other sites make estimates, too - Redfin, Trilia, ReMax and Weichert in some areas. They just don't have the cool name and marketing of zestimates.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-28-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 10:01 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The price history at Redfin is just as crazy. https://www.redfin.com/IL/Glenview/2.../home/45509574

And, just to make things MORE confusong6, zillow has this same home listed twice
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...19087963_zpid/
That one shows property taxes at $35,000!)

Makes Ya wonder about the accuracy of BOTH sites.

I get the hate for big, bad Zillow. BUT plenty of other sites make estimates, too - Redfin, Trilia, ReMax and Weichert in some areas. They just don't have the cool name and marketing of zestimates.
REALTOR.com took down the estimate on my home when I asked them. And, now it is back up.
I shouldn't HAVE to ask.
It should be an Opt-In valuation, only.
I don't cry for regulation of all things, but commercial AVMs? Yeah. Regulate them.

The rest of them, ReMax, Redfin, Zillow/Trulia, refused to do so. Reflects on ethics of all these operators, methinks.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
REALTOR.com took down the estimate on my home when I asked them. And, now it is back up.
I shouldn't HAVE to ask.
It should be an Opt-In valuation, only.
I don't cry for regulation of all things, but commercial AVMs? Yeah. Regulate them.

The rest of them, ReMax, Redfin, Zillow/Trulia, refused to do so. Reflects on ethics of all these operators, methinks.
I agree with you, Mike (big surprise, huh?) And I ABSOLUTELY think it should be either an opt in, though I'd settle for an option out.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree with you, Mike (big surprise, huh?) And I ABSOLUTELY think it should be either an opt in, though I'd settle for an option out.
I'm gathering thoughts for a letter and a petition.
Seriously.

But, it will be a get it right or forgettaboutit endeavor.

Here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Ov..._hsmi=54803990

They will actually SELL me AVMs for Millennials, I guess in the assumptions that Millennials are the dumbest generation ever?
Second only to me for paying for this drek?

That makes payment much more direct than Zillow/Trulia, Realtor.com, Redfin, Remax doing them for commercial purposes, where the fee is tied to traffic counts.

Regulation needed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate