Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:49 AM

88 posts, read 526,720 times

Advertisements

We have two kids 5 and 1. Hence we have been avoiding buying houses that are near electrical lines or transformers. We were lucky that a few months ago we almost bought a house that we did not notice a small power substation probably 30 ft away from it. Finally my frend looked up maps and saw the substation. It was behind the backyard covered with tall trees, hence could not be seen from the house.

Now there is another house in the market which is a great fit for us. However about 650ft from this house, there is a large bank of electrical transformers. We are wondering if its far enough that we dont have to worry about it.

Someone suggested that we should take an EMF meter and just measure the radiations. I am not sure what to measure. Any suggestions from the experts here.

Please find a picture of google maps attached

http://imgur.com/a/DvX7F

Last edited by IDontKnowWhyIDidIt; 05-05-2017 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Trying to embed the picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 04:41 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnowWhyIDidIt View Post
Now there is another house in the market which is a great fit for us.
However about 650ft from this house, there is a large bank of electrical transformers.
We are wondering if its far enough that we don't have to worry about it.
You're already worrying about it.

From the standpoint of electrical safety etc... I'll call it a non-issue.
From the standpoint of protecting yourself when later selling... find another property.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're already worrying about it.

From the standpoint of electrical safety etc... I'll call it a non-issue.
From the standpoint of protecting yourself when later selling... find another property.
I agree. It makes no difference whether it's safe or not, the negative perception is always going to be there. If you thought enough to ask about it here, so will the potential buyers when you go to sell.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:01 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Does the backyard back up to the driveways for the homes behind you?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:44 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I personally wouldn't buy it, but that's just me. We found a house last year that was perfect until I went out into the backyard and there was a big transmitter tower in my view. NO WAY! We kept looking!

Old 05-05-2017, 06:54 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
You should beware of Transformers - they're more than meets the eye!

You'll laugh if you get it.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
The fact that you're already worried about it tells me buying it will be a mistake. You'll always be wondering what those transformers are doing to your children, even if they aren't doing anything at all.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 PM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
Heard some are claiming the static electricity or whatever else off these transformer stations and high voltage country power lines causes cancer. If near transformer station, Might need to talk to electrician about what could be done for whole-house circuit breaker fry protection. Sad, happens in lots of old neighborhoods when a simple round transformer fries a whole house of everything that is plugged in and electric company + insurance company refuse to make it right with the victim as is 'act of god'. Can be hellishly expensive mishap if poor/elderly and own the appliances or oxygen machine.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:03 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
You'd be far enough away the electromagnetic fields would be very low. Of course, sometimes transformers explode, and there is occasionally construction. Visual pollution is the biggest concern. Sometimes utilities design substations to blend in. Looks like they didn't in this case. Should you get a whole house surge protector? Yes, I recommend that no matter where you are.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:03 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
When you go to sell, it will turn off a lot of buyers. That negative should already be factored into the price you pay. If it is an amazing deal, you might be willing to overlook the transformers. Just remember, you will probably have to sell it at an amazing deal later. Even if there is not a health risk, there is still a widespread perception that there is.

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1425
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate