Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 PM

351 posts, read 667,019 times

Advertisements

You buy a house you don't like but if you sell it you will lose ten's of thousands of dollars and you will be in the street. So could you rent the house for the same your monthly payments are because it's a VA loan and that way you would break even and then go and rent a house of your liking and that way you won't lose you entire bank account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:45 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
You buy a house you don't like but if you sell it you will lose ten's of thousands of dollars and you will be in the street. So could you rent the house for the same your monthly payments are because it's a VA loan and that way you would break even and then go and rent a house of your liking and that way you won't lose you entire bank account?
You can rent out a house for whatever amount you want, provided you have a willing tenant. Whether the average rent for your property would cover your monthly carrying costs, you'll have to look at your market (or talk with an agent and have them run some numbers)

Old 05-14-2017, 06:46 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Maybe just make sure you like a property/home before you buy it!!

Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
It it's a VA loan, make sure you can rent it out

Old 05-14-2017, 11:59 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Why would I buy a house I didn't like?

If you have a VA loan, you must owner occupy the house for a time period. I think maybe it is two years, but you would have to check on that.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:11 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
and in practice you will lose money renting it at break even rates.
It will not get 12 months rent on average, there are always maintenance costs.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Hope you can afford your rent AND the mortgage on the old house, since you cant always count on renters.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM

I'm 70 years old and everything I do is wrong. I look for a house for a year and couldn't find much so I became hard up and I knew better than to buy it but I couldn't think of what else to do and I have a dog. Thanks for the input but I'm a computer geek and my IQ is above average and I'm still stupid.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:30 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I'm 70 years old and everything I do is wrong. I look for a house for a year and couldn't find much so I became hard up and I knew better than to buy it but I couldn't think of what else to do and I have a dog. Thanks for the input but I'm a computer geek and my IQ is above average and I'm still stupid.
Instead of getting all wrought up about the house and calling yourself stupid, which won't help anything anyway, you need to analyze the situation. What is it about the house you don't like? Location? Size? Layout? Finishes? If the house is habitable and in a decent neighborhood, and you didn't overpay for it, then there are probably a lot of cosmetic tweaks you can make that will make it feel more "homelike" to you. After all, it does provide shelter for you and your dog, which apparently renting didn't. So try and start at the basics and look at the good things about the house, then the things you can improve. That will be a lot better way of dealing with the situation than renting it out and possibly getting yourself in an even bigger pickle than you're currently dealing with. Renting your own SFH can be a mentally, physically and financially draining experience, believe me. Plus, you'd have to find another place to live again as well.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 PM

Default Bought a new house

I just bought a house with a VA loan however I think I made a mistake like most things I do in life. I'm one of those people that no matter what I do and how well I think it out, it turns to crap. Dogs barking all the time and the place is too small and the list goes one. Can I rent the house I just bought because if I try to sell it I would lose $25 or $30K which would ruin me so if I could rent this house I would go anywhere and just rent a house like I should of done in the first place. If I absolutely had to sell, I could study on putting the house for sale by owner? I'm an old man and I just feel like crying.

Last edited by lostsoul62; 05-23-2017 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate