Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
How did you "know"? Where you related to the sellers i.e. non-arms length transaction?
My parents did know the sellers, but the sellers didn't know an offer was coming in, either. Because of the connection, I knew they had someone look at it three times in two days. So, I was pretty certain they were getting an offer.

It just so happens that my agent works in the same office as the agent working for a buyer who submitted an offer, so my agent knew there was another offer. I wasn't told this explicitly ahead of time, nor given any information about their offer. Because of my work schedule, I was meeting with my realtor on a Tuesday. He called me Monday and said it had to be tonight, even if I didn't get there until late. My offer was written and submitted around 9pm on Monday and it expired Tuesday at noon. It was over asking, conventional loan, no seller concessions, and quick close. They were actually presented with three offers on Tuesday morning. My offer was chosen. I have no idea if it was my parents' connection or my offer that got it done. Maybe both.

I paid over asking, but it is in pristine condition and actually over-improved for the area. (And by over asking, I paid only $600 over.) In the neighboring town, it would have sold for 100% more. There is a house under contract on the next street that is in terrible condition and the asking price is only $12K under my purchase price. I'll be watching to see what it actually sells for. It would take at least $50K to make that house comparable to mine. Plus my lot is more than twice as large and backs up to woods, where their lot backs up to another neighborhood.

Last edited by jaynarie; 05-18-2017 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
What happened to being able to buy a house in Detroit for $5K? Wasn't that the big story for so long?
He said Metro Detroit. Metro Detroit has always been full of wealthy suburbs. Some are among the wealthiest in the country. All but a couple of Detroit's suburbs are on fire right now and you practically cannot buy without cash. I've lost track of how many offers my friend has submitted. It has to be over 10 now. She's gone under contract twice, but everything falls apart at appraisal since she needs financing.

But even in Detroit proper, those days are looonnnngggg gone. They've been gone for a few years. You may be able to buy a burned down shell for $5K now. Maybe. And it will be in a bad neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
He said Metro Detroit. Metro Detroit has always been full of wealthy suburbs. Some are among the wealthiest in the country. All but a couple of Detroit's suburbs are on fire right now and you practically cannot buy without cash. I've lost track of how many offers my friend has submitted. It has to be over 10 now. She's gone under contract twice, but everything falls apart at appraisal since she needs financing.

But even in Detroit proper, those days are looonnnngggg gone. They've been gone for a few years. You may be able to buy a burned down shell for $5K now. Maybe. And it will be in a bad neighborhood.
Interesting. Detroit is part of the country I really don't know anything about. I just remember getting all these emails from old house blogs and contacts (I buy a lot of older homes-- love them) and those from Detroit were stunning but generally being given away.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Detroit is part of the country I really don't know anything about. I just remember getting all these emails from old house blogs and contacts (I buy a lot of older homes-- love them) and those from Detroit were stunning but generally being given away.
You can still get a bargain in Detroit proper, but houses aren't given away.

1470 Iroquois St, Detroit, MI 48214 - realtor.com®
Maybe a new riverfront McMansion is to your liking- 18 Sand Bar Ln, Detroit, MI 48214 - realtor.com®
Or Barry Gordy's (of Motown) old house 918 W Boston Blvd, Detroit, MI 48202 - realtor.com®

In other cities, or in the suburbs, all of those would go for much, much more.

As I said, you can still get an under $5k house:
8096 Georgia St, Detroit, MI 48213 - realtor.com®

But, overall, prices are getting more comparable to normal cities. Still cheap in comparison, but not being given away.
13974 Asbury Park, Detroit, MI 48227 - realtor.com®
500 E Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48207 - realtor.com®

Old 05-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
You can still get a bargain in Detroit proper, but houses aren't given away.

1470 Iroquois St, Detroit, MI 48214 - realtor.com®
Maybe a new riverfront McMansion is to your liking- 18 Sand Bar Ln, Detroit, MI 48214 - realtor.com®
Or Barry Gordy's (of Motown) old house 918 W Boston Blvd, Detroit, MI 48202 - realtor.com®

In other cities, or in the suburbs, all of those would go for much, much more.

As I said, you can still get an under $5k house:
8096 Georgia St, Detroit, MI 48213 - realtor.com®

But, overall, prices are getting more comparable to normal cities. Still cheap in comparison, but not being given away.
13974 Asbury Park, Detroit, MI 48227 - realtor.com®
500 E Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48207 - realtor.com®
WOW!

These are still bargains to me! There is some stunning architecture in Detroit.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
No.

It can be.

I guess I'm lucky in that the houses that I've wanted I always paid less than the asking price. I don't believe in paying more or bid wars. Just not my style.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Almost everywhere is a sellers mkt

So, yes there are offers over asking
I know of two home sold in a day over price

Old 05-18-2017, 12:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
That home could very well be worth more now (not sure about $100k more, but maybe). It all depends on comparable homes that have sold. The market is a lot higher now than it was in 2015! We sold our home last year in May and if we waited till this year we could have sold it for $40k more But my new home that we purchased from a new home builder last year is now worth $30k more as that's how much the builder has raised prices (and are selling), not to mention improvements we have made to the home.

No one has a crystal ball to know what the market is going to do. But I can tell you that home prices have significantly gone up in the last 2 years! At least in the Chicagoland area anyway!
No. Sorry. While prices have gone up they haven't gone up to that extent. The guy is out of his mind. Trust me the guy is a douche (Read below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Pout?
I think not.
I don't mind at all seeing agendas at play.
Have you learned from the thread that price and value are very loosely linked?
Just to let you know. That house (I just looked it up ) just dropped from 599,000 to 553,000 and went from FSBO to agent represented. So it gives you a idea of gross overpricing at sellers idea of worth vs buyers perception of worth. That house right now would sell quickly for about 525-530,000.

I know exactly why it's not selling. The wife wants to move and he doesn't. I remember how much he fought in anything and how much of a jerk he was. Walked in on our showing grabbed some coffee and started just talking rudely. Let his dog out, told us she bites. Funny as he said it the dog walked up to me and I started petting her. Guy sabotaged the whole showing. I feel sorry for his agent.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
What happened to being able to buy a house in Detroit for $5K? Wasn't that the big story for so long?
WOW, seriously? Detroit is a big city with lots of different neighborhoods with different price ranges! There are more expensive homes and cheaper homes. You can find homes next to nothing in all major cities such as Detroit, Chicago, LA, but you probably wouldn't want to live on that street as it's probably a bad area; however, in the same towns you can also find homes at $200k, $300k, $500k, 1 mil, etc.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
WOW, seriously??? You can't be that clueless! Detroit is a big city with lots of different neighborhoods with different price ranges! There are more expensive homes and cheaper homes. You can find homes next to nothing in all major cities such as Detroit, Chicago, LA, but you probably wouldn't want to live on that street as it's probably a bad area; however, in the same towns you can also find homes at $200k, $300k, $500k, 1 mil, etc.
I know nothing about the center of the country-- never really had many dealings in the midwest. Yes I am clueless. I was born and raised in Sweden. Why don't you tell me what you know about our real estate laws?

This is the kind of stuff I would get in my inbox:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1415014

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-belt-america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate