Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 AM

13 posts, read 20,200 times

Advertisements

I bought a townhouse last year and now we hate it. Why? Because of a neighbor who keeps throwing a ball against the wall we share with them nearly every day, day and night. I assume it is one of the kids who live there.

I have gone to the neighbors and complained and they just stare at me and slam the door. They are really rough looking. Talking to them is not going to work.

I thought about the homeowners association but looked at the paperwork and I see nothing about noise. The police will come by if it is noise that leaves the house, like a loud stereo, but they told me nothing can be done if the noise does not impact other neighbors too. Crazy.

I am afraid if we complain to the homeowners association then we will be at risk of physical harm or vandalism from these rough looking neighbors.

Anyone here have experience with working the system with noisy neighbors in a townhouse community?

(Both of us own our homes.)

Last edited by lots of money; 05-18-2017 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
As far as what an HOA can do, if there is nothing in the bylaws or covenants, it seems like there isn't much they can do - they can only enforce rules that exist, they can't force someone into having common courtesy.

Do they have a shared wall on the other side? Have you checked with those neighbors to see if they are having issues too?

Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 PM

13 posts, read 20,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
As far as what an HOA can do, if there is nothing in the bylaws or covenants, it seems like there isn't much they can do - they can only enforce rules that exist, they can't force someone into having common courtesy.

Do they have a shared wall on the other side? Have you checked with those neighbors to see if they are having issues too?

The bad neighbors live in an end unit.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM

569 posts, read 439,823 times
A friend of mine went through similar situation with neighbor's loud surround sound. I think she tried speaking to the neighbor, the HOA sent a letter as a courtesy since there was nothing binding in the covenants, and she ended up calling the police. Noise ordinances are tricky because sometimes they are tied to the hours of day and it is fine for someone to be obnoxious and noisy as long as it is outside of the hours the noise ordinance applies. Luckily in my friend's case, the neighbor just moved so she is hoping for better.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lots of money View Post
I bought a townhouse last year and now we hate it. Why? Because of a neighbor who keeps throwing a ball against the wall we share with them nearly every day, day and night. I assume it is one of the kids who live there.

I have gone to the neighbors and complained and they just stare at me and slam the door. They are really rough looking. Talking to them is not going to work.

I thought about the homeowners association but looked at the paperwork and I see nothing about noise. The police will come by if it is noise that leaves the house, like a loud stereo, but they told me nothing can be done if the noise does not impact other neighbors too. Crazy.

I am afraid if we complain to the homeowners association then we will be at risk of physical harm or vandalism from these rough looking neighbors.

Anyone here have experience with working the system with noisy neighbors in a townhouse community?

We have the same issue as you. Our HOA does not enforce noise ordinances. Our county does have noise ordinances, and we have called the police when they have violated the ordinance (multiple times over the years). Our local police will come and speak to them.

We also have the option to remain anonymous but I'm certain our neighbors know that it's us complaining.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
If they are slamming the door in your face, they are probably not going to care about a letter from the HOA. The HOA is unlikely to go further than that.

It's horrible, so sorry this is happening to you. I would try talking to them again. Maybe he can bounce the ball on the outer wall?

Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
I'm with you when you say you risk harm or vandalism. I'm afraid any recourse you try that doesn't put a final stop to it will only make it worse.

"Son, we know you're bored, but the neighbors don't like you banging your ball against the wall, so Stop It." "Sure, Dad."

Oddly, if you do nothing, the racket will most likely stop on it's own as soon as Jr. gets a hobby, a job, or arrested.

Which room is affected on your side? You may have little choice but to put up a mattress and close that room off as a storage room until the problem goes away by itself.

Does it suck? Yes it does. But it doesn't seem your neighbors are gonna suddenly turn neighborly any time soon.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:57 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:

Couple of options, wait them out and they leave, or you leave.

Police will not do anything with a noise ordinance because it can not be heard outside or over a certain decibel. Their answer will be, it is a civil matter, not criminal.

HOA with nothing in the covenants/restrictions they have no power, even if they did the people would not care. Then you are right back to it's a civil matter.

I'm sure you could find some lawyer to write a cease and desist letter but really not sure if anything could be done past that, over a ball on a wall. You pay a lawyer enough they could come up with some creative ways but $$$.

Sorry but your kinda stuck on this one.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:

Sell and move.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:

In my experience, if an HOA doesn't have a violation in their deed restrictions related to the issue, they tell you to deal with the police.

I did know a woman whose condo was under a place with noisy kids running around and she did call the police every time, and they did come and talk to the neighbors. If the neighbors know it is you and they respond with vandalism, they are risking harassment complaints, but that does not stop some people.

We had a similar issue. Next door to a noisy trampoline full of kids (and I mean screaming kids) for hours (placed about 20 feet from our bedroom window). They were in the adjoining yard and even with a fence, we could not use the lanai or pool when the playground was in session. Complained to the HOA--nothing they could do. Spoke to the police who said even if we took it to court for 'peaceful entitlement' lawsuit, no judge would do anything. Kids play. They are noisy. We were advised to move, which we did eventually.

Here's the thing. If you file official noise complaints, they are on record. If you sell the place and do not disclose the noise, you can be sued by the buyers later. This has actually happened, though in the case I know of, it concerned loud party neighbors.

Maybe they are renting and they'll move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate