Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of posts on this forum from people complaining about various types of noise coming from other apartments, townhouses, condos, etc. (All the same in my opinion, some just "glorified" versions of apartments that you own vs. renting)...

Even though I agree that some things are inappropriate, in my opinion, I think that if you're the type who is sensitive to noise, you should avoid living situations in which you share walls with other people.

The fact is, even with the most respectful neighbors, there is a good chance that you are going to hear your neighbors around you. In a single family home, you hear what the others are doing in other rooms. The same is true in an apartment, except they're neighbors and not family members or roommates.

If you can't stand hearing footsteps, music, the television, arguing, neighbors having crazy sex, etc., I'd suggest buying or renting a single-family home. Because, no matter what, you're going to hear your neighbors in this type of setting, even if they try hard for you not to. And guess what? They hear your noise too!

If you are even more sensitive about noise, like one recent poster here who can't stand to hear garbage trucks or lawn maintenance crews, then you should probably buy a home out in the country, with a bigger lot.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 PM

347 posts, read 427,223 times
Not everyone can afford a single family home, especially in HCOLAs. So that isn't the answer for everyone. Or they don't want to deal with the maintenance of a single family home.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
My thoughts are you don't know what you are talking about. Your opinion on apartments being the same as condos prove it.

A purpose built condo is quiet. It is nothing like an apartment. You also have pride of ownership that you don't get in an apartment which can also affect noise.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I see a lot of posts on this forum from people complaining about various types of noise coming from other apartments, townhouses, condos, etc. (All the same in my opinion, some just "glorified" versions of apartments that you own vs. renting)...

Even though I agree that some things are inappropriate, in my opinion, I think that if you're the type who is sensitive to noise, you should avoid living situations in which you share walls with other people.

The fact is, even with the most respectful neighbors, there is a good chance that you are going to hear your neighbors around you. In a single family home, you hear what the others are doing in other rooms. The same is true in an apartment, except they're neighbors and not family members or roommates.

If you can't stand hearing footsteps, music, the television, arguing, neighbors having crazy sex, etc., I'd suggest buying or renting a single-family home. Because, no matter what, you're going to hear your neighbors in this type of setting, even if they try hard for you not to. And guess what? They hear your noise too!

If you are even more sensitive about noise, like one recent poster here who can't stand to hear garbage trucks or lawn maintenance crews, then you should probably buy a home out in the country, with a bigger lot.

Thoughts?
Single family homes are not a solution. Noisy neighbors are everywhere. I've seen million dollar homes in expensive neighborhoods with noise issues--blasting music, parties, etc.

If you do enough research and find the right place, you can, in fact avoid the noise issue. Or as you say, live out in the country. But the fact is, you can find places to live in a civilized area where people respect the privacy and peacefulness of others. You kind of have to find a neighborhood, subdivision or building where most are respectful and considerate of others. It does exist.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:10 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
Not everyone can afford a single family home, especially in HCOLAs. So that isn't the answer for everyone. Or they don't want to deal with the maintenance of a single family home.
That means that you can't afford to be picky about noise, then. Or, if you don't "want to deal" with the things that go along with living in a single-family home (such as lawn care), then you "have to deal" with the things that go along with sharing walls, like noise.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I lived in a townhouse. It was well insulated. The only time I heard anything was when the neighbors kids came over and were running up and down the stairs with very heavy steps.
Otherwise you couldn't hear anything.
Different buildings have different noise dampening

Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

Thoughts?
You are essentially correct, common sense is pretty simple. The closer you live to people the more you have to deal with people. The more room between you and other people, the less you have to deal with them and their actions.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
I hate when the neighbors are having crazier sex than I am. It makes me look bad. I suppose I could just up my game but sometimes I think they're just showboating.

Luckily I'm in a single family home now so I don't have to worry about that, although some of the noises the neighborhood cats make outside my window at night make me a little uncomfortable.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
My thoughts? All your post did is state the obvious.

If it was that easy obviously most people who are noise sensitive would move far away from others if they could. As it is, even in the country you run the risk of having noise issues.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I lived in a townhouse. It was well insulated. The only time I heard anything was when the neighbors kids came over and were running up and down the stairs with very heavy steps.
Otherwise you couldn't hear anything.
Different buildings have different noise dampening
Exactly. I've lived in a townhouse (that I own) for the last 14 years. In that time, I've had 2 different neighbors on the other side of the wall. If it is very quiet in my house and the current owner's dog barks, I can BARELY hear it if I am in a room that shares the wall. And oddly, if she slides a hanger on the rod in her closet on the wall we share, I can hear that if I'm in my bathroom on my side of that wall. Otherwise, I don't think I have ever heard a sound from the other side.

I actually hear my neighbors on the other side, with whom I do NOT share a wall, far more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate