Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:47 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Would fit well into a neighborhood of double-wides. A neighborhood of nicer single-family homes in the suburbs would find it an eyesore.

Unless in the country, there will be zoning/ HOA issues to deal with.

My view as well !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
(LOL)

Yeah, the metal garage is kinda tacky, and downgrades whatever your thinking of improving in the house.
A perspective buyer might be more discerning and smile at you but cringe at that damn garage.
Yes.

That "garage" looks more like a big portable "dime a dozen" storage building with a garage door.

As others have stated, it would look right at home in a mobile home park.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Personally I wouldn't want to look at it if I was your neighbor. I think it would be an eyesore instead of adding value. What is going to add value is a regular built wood garage. If you don't want to put that kind of money into the home, then I'd say just leave it as is.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:51 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The ones that do have typical detached wood garages.

It's an old neighborhood. It's not my house but I'm thinking of buying this property to live-in flip. It's definitely got a lot of potential. Down side is no garage. I'm thinking of adding a garage to it and just thinking out loud the best way to go about it.
For a flip? No don't do it.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:12 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Yes.

That "garage" looks more like a big portable "dime a dozen" storage building with a garage door.

As others have stated, it would look right at home in a mobile home park.
I think its hard to say. Here in the south it isn't uncommon for a $1MM house not to have a garage. I lived in an old, tony neighborhood of lots of half million dollar houses that had alleyways and metal carports, the type you see advertised on the road way. In a working class neighborhood, I don't see it being an issue.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
It depends on the neighborhood. Where I live, people have metal roofs and buildings all over. My neighborhood butts up to farm country. I live in a very snowy area and many folks have converted to metal roofs because of the snow. The snow build up here frequently damages shingles. These types of buildings are very practical and inexpensive comparatively. And no they're not just in trailer parks. Geesh.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:07 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
That was unnecessarily rude.

And kind of ridiculous. A one page thread and a properly quoted post should not require restating the question.
Ok, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. And please don't send social justice warriors after me. I'll do anything.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The metal "garages" I have seen are all in RURAL areas, where things like NOISES and damage from hail / rust are not as important as simply having something to keep mechanical farm equipment out of the harshest weather extremes.

The metal side panels typically are attached to metal framing with sheet metal screws -- trying to adapt that system to support a facade of vinyl siding is not worth the trouble of starting with a properly framed WOOD garage. The "kit price" does not include the very crucial CONCRETE PAD nor the LABOR of erecting the garage. Most potential renters would also expect a garage to have at least enough electricity for a LIGHT and garage door opener...

Costing out a "normal" garage would likely show that there is not really much potential for "saving" by going with this kind of metal kit... The material costs of a TRADITIONAL wood framed garage with normal siding and shingles is very similar to the metal kit - Two Car Garage from $4008.74 | Menards.com
Ok, you've convinced me. I'll put in a regular wood frame garage.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:39 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I was going to go against the grain...

Utilitarian can provide the most for the buck... plus it did mention installation included and termites don't eat metal...

Curious as to what the 130 mph certified upgrade costs as this generally worthwhile.

It may just be just the ticket in a more rural or secluded setting.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
There are a lot of factors to consider as to the metal being acceptable.

1: Depends on the siding and roof on the house. If it is metal similar to the garage, the garage would be appropriate and fit in well. If it is a brick house, it may not be appropriate. In many parts of the country with harsh weather, metal siding similar to the garage in the picture is the chosen siding. Three years ago, an ice storm with large hail and winds tore up a lot of houses. Most roofs were replaced with metal roofs, similar in looks to what was on the one in your picture. And newer high end homes were some of the most likely to get the metal roofs which stand up to harsh weather.

2: Depends on the siding in the neighborhood of houses and detached garages. Does it fit in with the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate