Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM

163 posts, read 171,582 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I am planning to sell my home around the end of August, but unfortunately when it was purchased it was during the bubble of 2007 and I paid way too much for it. When I sell, if I use a realtor I'll most likely end up PAYING out of my own pocket just to get out of the home I'm seriously considering the FSBO route, but I am totally new to this game.

So...tell me about your personal successes and/or failures if you've used the FSBO method and any advice you might have. The main takeway I see so far is to secure a good, qualified real estate laywer to draft up the paperwork, but otherwise I'd be responsible for showings, marketing, etc. What are we missing? Is it worth this route or should we just suck it up and rely on a realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:34 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Are you sure your area has not recovered?

Interview several local-to-the-property agents and ask them for their opinions on what you need to do to get your house ready for the market and what price they would recommend. Then in July, bring back the top two to talk about their marketing plan.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:54 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
Flat fee is great. Around $300 will get you on MLS but you'll need to pay the buyers agent. Just as fast as having a seller's agent.

Fsbo is very tough. People simply aren't geared to looking and many fsbo are over priced in my area. Not impossible to do, just very difficult to get traffic.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
If you're still looking at bringing money to the table after 10 years, you're probably in a slow market, unless you kept borrowing against the equity you were building. So that's the first question. How is real estate moving in your location?

Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
Hi Everyone! I am planning to sell my home around the end of August, but unfortunately when it was purchased it was during the bubble of 2007 and I paid way too much for it. When I sell, if I use a realtor I'll most likely end up PAYING out of my own pocket just to get out of the home I'm seriously considering the FSBO route, but I am totally new to this game.

So...tell me about your personal successes and/or failures if you've used the FSBO method and any advice you might have. The main takeway I see so far is to secure a good, qualified real estate laywer to draft up the paperwork, but otherwise I'd be responsible for showings, marketing, etc. What are we missing? Is it worth this route or should we just suck it up and rely on a realtor?
Congrats for hanging in there without walking away from your debt. I can't imagine the debates that occurred in your own head in the past ten years.

You need to decide if you are willing to pay the buyer's agent, and if so, how much? 3%? 2%? If you are willing to pay the buyer's agent, they will have a Board of Realtors contract for their buyer's offer - saving you some attorney fees to draw up the agreement. You would still need it to be reviewed.

As others have recommended, do consult a Realtor to see if you are being realistic on market value.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
I'm in Kansas City, not exactly a sizzling market, and houses here are back up to at least 2007 levels.

I think that more important than the paperwork is finding a QUALIFIED buyer. We FSBOed a long time ago, and wasted a lot of time on two unqualified buyers.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If you're still looking at bringing money to the table after 10 years, you're probably in a slow market, unless you kept borrowing against the equity you were building. So that's the first question. How is real estate moving in your location?
True, but that assumes the OP didn't use one of the more creative loan types.

Given a typical 30 yr note and downpayment of 5%, OP should have 25% or so equity.

Unless they grossly overpaid for the home, which was happening at the end of the bubble.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Yes, I was one of those young, naive people who purchased their first home on an interest-only loan. I put $15K down, so right now if I sold at the current comps, I'd make a bit of profit if I sold it myself. If I use a realtor, the 6% commission would put me in the negative at least looking at the current asking prices in the area.

I put my home on Zillow with a "make me move" price and have had a couple of realtors contact me. My question then would be: If I am approached by a buyer's realtor, and they find me a qualified buyer, I assume I only have to pay their part of the commission since I did not hire a realtor on my side? Is that correct?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Yes, I was one of those young, naive people who purchased their first home on an interest-only loan. I put $15K down, so right now if I sold at the current comps, I'd make a bit of profit if I sold it myself. If I use a realtor, the 6% commission would put me in the negative at least looking at the current asking prices in the area.

I put my home on Zillow with a "make me move" price and have had a couple of realtors contact me. My question then would be: If I am approached by a buyer's realtor, and they find me a qualified buyer, I assume I only have to pay their part of the commission since I did not hire a realtor on my side? Is that correct?
Get documentation of buyers' agency status and commission request right up front before letting them see the property.

Yes, you should only have to pay them for serving their client, as long as you don't require services yourself. And at that, you should have an attorney to review documents.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Get documentation of buyers' agency status and commission request right up front before letting them see the property.

Yes, you should only have to pay them for serving their client, as long as you don't require services yourself. And at that, you should have an attorney to review documents.
Thanks Mike... appreciate the quick reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate