Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

#1 selling point is a house that is clean and neat. Some investors that I've known will 'refresh' a house or condo with a creamy white in all rooms, with a pale blue in one bath and a soft beige in the other if more than one bath.

This allows the buyer to choose their own colors in the living areas and kitchen which is a selling point. Kitchen colors are usually dependent on the color and style of cabinets and countertops. Flooring is a whole different animal ... ugly flooring will kill a sale and "begs a low offer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
The whole gray thing is cracking me up. It is the last color we would put in our house.
Trends suck and lack imagination, to me.

My husband served 21 years in the U.S. Navy and went out to sea a lot. Although he liked his time in the Navy he has seen enough gray. There's a saying in the Navy: "Haze gray and underway".

Quote:
The United States Navy saying "haze gray and underway" refers firstly to the color "haze gray". Haze gray is a paint color scheme used by USN warships to make the ships harder to see clearly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haze_gray_and_underway

There will never be any gray walls or trim in any of our houses. Besides, I personally think it is a depressing color for interiors. I am in the market to buy another house right now and if I saw gray walls I would immediately paint them if I bought the house. But hey, to each their own, I realize.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
#1 selling point is a house that is clean and neat. Some investors that I've known will 'refresh' a house or condo with a creamy white in all rooms, with a pale blue in one bath and a soft beige in the other if more than one bath.

This allows the buyer to choose their own colors in the living areas and kitchen which is a selling point. Kitchen colors are usually dependent on the color and style of cabinets and countertops. Flooring is a whole different animal ... ugly flooring will kill a sale and "begs a low offer".

Oh yes, I so much agree with you about the flooring!!!

Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
The whole gray thing is cracking me up. It is the last color we would put in our house.
Trends suck and lack imagination, to me.

My husband served 21 years in the U.S. Navy and went out to sea a lot. Although he liked his time in the Navy he has seen enough gray. There's a saying in the Navy: "Haze gray and underway".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haze_gray_and_underway

There will never be any gray walls or trim in any of our houses. Besides, I personally think it is a depressing color for interiors. I am in the market to buy another house right now and if I saw gray walls I would immediately paint them if I bought the house. But hey, to each their own, I realize.
Shrug. Whether or not you vehemently oppose grey, this is THE neutral. Beiges are early 2000s, especially in east cost urban markets. Grey is king. Don't paint it if you don't like it. Just saying its THE neutral of choice.

Greige and Taupe are starting to make headway too.

As I said in my other thread, when you are selling its not about YOU and YOUR personal taste or lifestyle. Its about getting your commodity (house) sold as quickly as possible and for the best price. People take things very personally when they are selling a home. The minute you put your house on the market the goal should be to appeal to buyers, not to advertise the things you think are "imaginative and not trendy." Because I have a newsflash- A LOT of people watch HGTV and follow those trends. This is not about validating your belief system. Its about finding a cash in hand buyer so you can move on to the next phase of your life.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:30 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Our sales contract included staging services and as soon as the stager saw we had painted the inserts of our wainscoting and crown moulding a color other than white, she said, "Paint them white. Buyers will expect them to be white and have trouble seeing past any other color."

So white they became.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Shrug. Whether or not you vehemently oppose grey, this is THE neutral. Beiges are early 2000s, especially in east cost urban markets. Grey is king. Don't paint it if you don't like it. Just saying its THE neutral of choice.

Greige and Taupe are starting to make headway too.

As I said in my other thread, when you are selling its not about YOU and YOUR personal taste or lifestyle. Its about getting your commodity (house) sold as quickly as possible and for the best price. People take things very personally when they are selling a home. The minute you put your house on the market the goal should be to appeal to buyers, not to advertise the things you think are "imaginative and not trendy." Because I have a newsflash- A LOT of people watch HGTV and follow those trends. This is not about validating your belief system. Its about finding a cash in hand buyer so you can move on to the next phase of your life.
Holy smokes, calm down!!! You must have missed the part of my post where I said to each their own. Or are you getting all hot under the collar because you might be a trend follower. I don't care if you are or about the others who are. Like I said before, to each their own. I was just expressing myself and don't see anything wrong with my post. You did remind me, however, of why I hardly post in the forums that talk about real estate or decorating.

Thanks for that and also for the laugh!

Old 06-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Our sales contract included staging services and as soon as the stager saw we had painted the inserts of our wainscoting and crown moulding a color other than white, she said, "Paint them white. Buyers will expect them to be white and have trouble seeing past any other color."

So white they became.
Smart choice!

Old 06-06-2017, 12:15 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Holy smokes, calm down!!! You must have missed the part of my post where I said to each their own. Or are you getting all hot under the collar because you might be a trend follower. I don't care if you are or about the others who are. Like I said before, to each their own. I was just expressing myself and don't see anything wrong with my thread. You did remind me, however, of why I hardly post in the forums that talk about real estate or decorating.

Thanks for that and also for the laugh!
Funny, I thought your response to a very normal question was WAY over the top! I can't say that I am anything other than calm.

Like the veiled insult for "trend following"-- sad that someone who is at least in their late 30s still worries about "trends" like they are in high school. But whatevs.

I am only someone who buys and sells houses as investments and has made a very good living doing this for over a decade. But hey, I am sure that your taste is fantastic and you really don't need anyone else's input. I can only tell you what works in my experience, and what has made me very financially comfortable.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Funny, I thought your response to a very normal question was WAY over the top! I can't say that I am anything other than calm.

Like the veiled insult for "trend following"-- sad that someone who is at least in their late 30s still worries about "trends" like they are in high school. But whatevs.

I am only someone who buys and sells houses as investments and has made a very good living doing this for over a decade. But hey, I am sure that your taste is fantastic and you really don't need anyone else's input. I can only tell you what works in my experience, and what has made me very financially comfortable.
You sure did read more into my post than what I actually said. I can't change that though. Oh, and then you proceeded to put words in my mouth.

I'm glad you are very financially comfortable. I'm sorry I shared my opinion here. I didn't read the rules for this forum before I posted. Silly me!

Old 06-06-2017, 02:18 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
I'm looking at houses for sale now... If I see one more gray room, gray carpet, gray bathroom, gray kitchen... I will scream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate