Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:10 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Colorado doesn't have four seasons? Not saying you shouldn't move wherever you want and NH is lovely, but that seems like an odd statement.

In any case, as someone who built new a couple of years ago, I have to say that there is something really nice about having had that much control over all the choices and everything all if it brand new right from the start. I'm not sure whether you'd buy and renovate and then move in or if you'd try to live there once some of it was done or what, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like real life ever works out like HGTV and you can get a full scale remodel done in 6 to 8 weeks like they claim to show.

So part of the question would be where would you live while work as being done - and that applies to new construction or to a renovation because either way, you are going to want to be on site as much as possible, over seeing it all and making that all of the choices you agonized over are actually being incorporated into the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 01:37 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Colorado doesn't have four seasons? Not saying you shouldn't move wherever you want and NH is lovely, but that seems like an odd statement.

In any case, as someone who built new a couple of years ago, I have to say that there is something really nice about having had that much control over all the choices and everything all if it brand new right from the start. I'm not sure whether you'd buy and renovate and then move in or if you'd try to live there once some of it was done or what, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like real life ever works out like HGTV and you can get a full scale remodel done in 6 to 8 weeks like they claim to show.

So part of the question would be where would you live while work as being done - and that applies to new construction or to a renovation because either way, you are going to want to be on site as much as possible, over seeing it all and making that all of the choices you agonized over are actually being incorporated into the work.
Thanks for answering, but I wanted to answer the bolded part, as many people have misconceptions about Colorado weather.

No, Colorado does not have what I consider to be a traditional four-seasons climate. I have lived in metro Denver since 1986 (with the exception of three years in Maine), and this is what I have observed to be a typical year in Denver:

December through February: Usually dry and brown, with occasional snows, sometimes very heavy, but usually not. Snow usually melts within a couple of days, and then it might not snow again for a couple of weeks. Most Christmases are NOT white. Temps sometimes can get up to the about 70, though (and, rarely, even higher).

March: This is historically the snowiest month, with a lot of wet and heavy snow (this year was definitely exception, as it was almost entirely dry, though)

April: Almost like March with frequent wet snows, but the trees usually starting to blossom in the last week of April. (This year, because of the dry winter, they blossomed starting about April 1st!)

May: Beautiful and spring-like MOST of the time, although we often have snow on Mothers Day.

June through September: Usually hot and dry with occasional rain and thunderstorms -- some years are much rainier and cooler than other years, though -- and in many years we have a heavy wet snow about September 20th, resulting in lots of tree breakage. (Almost no humidity, though!)

October: A wide variety of weather. Sometimes snowy, sometimes rainy, and sometimes very warm and dry. Temperatures can be anywhere from the teens to the low 80's.

November: Mostly dry and brown, and usually cool to cold. Not a lot of rain or snow, usually.

So, in short, we have about one month of spring, about four months of summer, no autumn (except for the trees being gold or whatever for about 2-3 weeks), and about seven months of brown with occasional snow. So, no, NOT a traditional "Currier and Ives" four seasons climate here!

(Btw, I worked for a mountain resort for seven years, and up there, the seasons are "Winter, July, and August -- although I would count September all by itself, too, as that is the best and most gorgeous month, imo, unless you are really into skiing!)

Old 06-08-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Thanks for answering, but I wanted to answer the bolded part, as many people have misconceptions about Colorado weather.

No, Colorado does not have what I consider to be a traditional four-seasons climate. I have lived in metro Denver since 1986 (with the exception of three years in Maine), and this is what I have observed to be a typical year in Denver:

December through February: Usually dry and brown, with occasional snows, sometimes very heavy, but usually not. Snow usually melts within a couple of days, and then it might not snow again for a couple of weeks. Most Christmases are NOT white. Temps sometimes can get up to the about 70, though (and, rarely, even higher).

March: This is historically the snowiest month, with a lot of wet and heavy snow (this year was definitely exception, as it was almost entirely dry, though)

April: Almost like March with frequent wet snows, but the trees usually starting to blossom in the last week of April. (This year, because of the dry winter, they blossomed starting about April 1st!)

May: Beautiful and spring-like MOST of the time, although we often have snow on Mothers Day.

June through September: Usually hot and dry with occasional rain and thunderstorms -- some years are much rainier and cooler than other years, though -- and in many years we have a heavy wet snow about September 20th, resulting in lots of tree breakage. (Almost no humidity, though!)

October: A wide variety of weather. Sometimes snowy, sometimes rainy, and sometimes very warm and dry. Temperatures can be anywhere from the teens to the low 80's.

November: Mostly dry and brown, and usually cool to cold. Not a lot of rain or snow, usually.

So, in short, we have about one month of spring, about four months of summer, no autumn (except for the trees being gold or whatever for about 2-3 weeks), and about seven months of brown with occasional snow. So, no, NOT a traditional "Currier and Ives" four seasons climate here!

(Btw, I worked for a mountain resort for seven years, and up there, the seasons are "Winter, July, and August -- although I would count September all by itself, too, as that is the best and most gorgeous month, imo, unless you are really into skiing!)
I've lived in Denver for a decade, so no, I do not have misconceptions about the weather. Apparently I just have a different definition of seasons. BTW, I also lived in New England for two and a half decades - it's not Currier and Ives there either.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I've lived in Denver for a decade, so no, I do not have misconceptions about the weather. Apparently I just have a different definition of seasons. BTW, I also lived in New England for two and a half decades - it's not Currier and Ives there either.
Yep, it does come down to perception and opinion, I think. All I can tell you is that the Maine climate was MUCH different from Colorado's -- and I liked it much better! Where did you live in New England, btw?

Also, I spent much of my childhood in Ohio (Akron) in part of the snowbelt, and that is also what I consider four seasons. At least in the early 60's, Akron was white (and stayed white) from mid-December through February, and March was very slushy. Spring was spring, summers were hot and humid, and autumns were cool and beautiful.

Again, I guess it is mostly perception (and opinion)!

Old 06-08-2017, 01:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default More questions...

Quote:
Thanks for all the input so far!

To clarify some things, we are wanting to move from Colorado to a traditional four-seasons climate, and New Hampshire greatly appeals to us for many reasons, although we are open to other northern four-seasons states.

The reason for the $450k price tag for a new small-ish home is mainly because we prefer to live in a lakeside community (but NOT one that is very rural), and even a half-acre is quite expensive -- plus, of course, we would need to add the cost of well and septic, driveway, etc. to the price of the home. In the New Hampshire lakes region, $300K is about the minimum one can expect to find for even a "fixer-upper" within a quarter-mile of a nice lake.

Another problem we have encountered in over three years of looking is that most NH homes have either gas fireplaces, wood stoves, pellet stoves, or no kind of fireplace at all. Another issue is that most NH homes are not "one level" living, which is a must for us, as is an open concept "great room" style that encompasses the kitchen, dining, and living areas-- these are very uncommon in NH. So, in short, our priority is in finding or building a home that fits our lifestyle, so we are talking about remodeling (vs. restoration). Frankly, I would rather just move into our "perfect" home, but I know that is not very likely! In short, I am asking which option would probably be the least hassle and which would probably cost the least in the long run, about 20 years or so. (I know that Option A might be better for one, while Option B might be better for the other. I do know, however, that it depends very much on the quality of the contractor!)

Regarding size, 1,400 s.f. would be plenty for us, as we would actually only need and want a 2 BR/2.5 BA (or possibly even a 2 BR/2 BA) home. Our current 4 BR/3.5 BA home in Colorado has about 2,250 square feet of living space on three levels, but we actually use only about 900 square feet of it 99% of the time, so 1,400 s.f. would be more than enough.

Regarding using money for other things, that is not an issue at all. We do not have any close family or any expensive hobbies, we don't plan on traveling very much (we've done that already), and we are mostly unpretentious, casual and introverted people, so our only expenses would be transportation (one car),utilities, house maintenance, groceries, taxes and insurance, medical, and local recreation. (Although we are healthy now -- knock wood -- medical costs will probably be our biggest expense, and our idea of recreation is sitting on a deck with a cup of coffee or glass of wine in hand, or going for a walk. However, yes, we would like to live somewhere that has a "downtown" and a major supermarket within a few miles of it.) We would, btw, be paying for the home in full.

Thanks again!

P.S. NH property taxes are generally quite high, but not usually as much in the "tourist towns".
The added information you've shared really raises more questions. In many "lakeside" areas the land costs are quite elevated because of the perception that folks want the recreational options offered in such a setting -- if you end up merely enjoying the view and NOT fishing, boating, swimming, etc the value of the lakeside setting is lost and you would have been better off getting a far less costly home a bit inland...

I also have a bit of experience with homes in "vacation" type areas and there are often issues with trying to make a home that was originally built as a "cottage" for only good weather being used year-round -- high utility costs from lack of comprehensive weather-sealing / insulation is foolish way to live on a fixed income...

The bigger issue, even if you feel that "money is not issue" is that EVENTUALLY it is not just inconvenient for older folks to live in areas with mostly seasonal vacationers, but it will become unsustainable. If current trends of smaller families, consolidated wealth, flat real estate prices, and other generational shifts it becomes harder to justify ownership over renting... Renting vs. Buying: The True Cost of Home Ownership - Can I Retire Yet?

Finally I would caution that paying cash for this home may be hard to justify. Assuming your lifespan is at least 20 years and the money could be invested for returns of about 7% that represents a future asset of about $2M which even if you are currently quite comfortable still represents the sort of "estate" that is very significant///

Old 06-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The added information you've shared really raises more questions. In many "lakeside" areas the land costs are quite elevated because of the perception that folks want the recreational options offered in such a setting -- if you end up merely enjoying the view and NOT fishing, boating, swimming, etc the value of the lakeside setting is lost and you would have been better off getting a far less costly home a bit inland...

I also have a bit of experience with homes in "vacation" type areas and there are often issues with trying to make a home that was originally built as a "cottage" for only good weather being used year-round -- high utility costs from lack of comprehensive weather-sealing / insulation is foolish way to live on a fixed income...

The bigger issue, even if you feel that "money is not issue" is that EVENTUALLY it is not just inconvenient for older folks to live in areas with mostly seasonal vacationers, but it will become unsustainable. If current trends of smaller families, consolidated wealth, flat real estate prices, and other generational shifts it becomes harder to justify ownership over renting... Renting vs. Buying: The True Cost of Home Ownership - Can I Retire Yet?

Finally I would caution that paying cash for this home may be hard to justify. Assuming your lifespan is at least 20 years and the money could be invested for returns of about 7% that represents a future asset of about $2M which even if you are currently quite comfortable still represents the sort of "estate" that is very significant///
Thanks so much for putting so much thought and effort into replying. Definitely something to consider!

(But, just to clarify, we truly don't care if we die with just enough left to pay our final bills and cremation expenses!)

Old 06-08-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yep, it does come down to perception and opinion, I think. All I can tell you is that the Maine climate was MUCH different from Colorado -- and I liked it much better! Where did you live in New England, btw?

Also, I spent much of my childhood in Ohio (Akron) in part of the snowbelt, and that is also what I consider four seasons. At least in the early 60's, Akron was white (and stayed white) from mid-December through February, and March was very slushy. Spring was spring, summers were hot and humid, and autumns were cool and beautiful.

Again, I guess it is all perception (and opinion)!
I lived in Boston, from the early 1980s when I moved there for law school, until I moved to Denver a decade ago.. And it definitely doesn't stay white in the Northeast. It gets packed mounds of plowed snow that last until June but they are gray and dingy, not white. Quite unpleasant, actually.

Yes, the climate is quite different from Denver. I prefer Denver winters where we do get snow but it melts off and you aren't dealing with those snow mounds and icy sidewalks for months on end. I miss New England spring and fall, there is absolutely nothing that can match a glorious New England autumn and the sudden burst of green in the spring is amazing as well. But both of those are short lived seasons, perhaps a couple of weeks longer than here, but really not that dramatically so, at least not most years. Summers are a toss up IMO, there are things about both areas that are good and bad.

In any case, I think a move to NH sounds great, just disagreed with that one comment. My personal choice is Maine over NH, but I'm more of a seacoast fan and think that Ogunquit is a little piece of Heaven on Earth.

One suggestion - check into the availability of contractors to do the work if you do decide on a resale reno. I don't know what it's like in NH (and it could vary by the specific area of course) but I do know in Denver, it's so hard to find anyone who will come and give you an estimate, never mind take on a big job and of course show up and actually do the work! Hopefully that's not quite as much as an issue there, but that's something that I think would be a smoother process with a new home builder vs. doing a reno.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:52 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I would consider:
1. location. which house is where you want to be? how close are neighbors, restaurants, stores, hospitals?
2. energy. how much mental, physical, and emotional energy can you put into this project?
3. workers. Do you know a good contractor in the area, or have friends who know one? Have you worked with contractors before? Good ones can be great, bad ones a nightmare.
4. surprises. Are you familiar with the possible pitfalls of a 1950s home, like asbestos and lead paint? Has the house been remodeled or added to in the past? A really thorough inspection is a must, but probably won't turn up all problems. Don't forget to budget a contingency fund.

There's a show on HGTV, "Lakefront Bargain Hunt" that travels all over the country shopping for lakeside homes. It's a nice way to discover new areas from your living room.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Personally, I would put a lot of value on a wonderful view (esp. in retirement when you have a lot of time to enjoy it!) and would not consider it to be lost value even if I didn't participate in fishing or boating, etc. Watching the water is calming and good for my mental health like nothing else I can think of (even though as I mentioned, I personally prefer oceans to lakes). And even if not participating in on the water activities, it sounds like OP would enjoy being near the water for walks and watching sunsets and things that a waterfront view provide. Their definition of enjoyment doesn't have to be the same as someone else's.

Life is about far more than accumulating and dying with money, and I personally think the OP has their priorities exactly where they need to be.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Personally, I would put a lot of value on a wonderful view (esp. in retirement when you have a lot of time to enjoy it!) and would not consider it to be lost value even if I didn't participate in fishing or boating, etc. Watching the water is calming and good for my mental health like nothing else I can think of (even though as I mentioned, I personally prefer oceans to lakes). And even if not participating in on the water activities, it sounds like OP would enjoy being near the water for walks and watching sunsets and things that a waterfront view provide. Their definition of enjoyment doesn't have to be the same as someone else's.

Life is about far more than accumulating and dying with money, and I personally think the OP has their priorities exactly where they need to be.
I agree with the bolded 100 percent! (I also love the ocean, but nice oceanfront homes are even more expensive, I think, than lakefront homes. I would happily "settle" for either one, however.)

P.S. And thanks for the affirmation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate