Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:18 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting. A friend of mine in her 30s who is shopping for a new home will not consider any house on one level. The reason? "Those are for elderly people who don't like stairs."

Aesthetically, I love a cottage, but ranch styles often leave me cold. There are exceptions of course. Though I am more attracted to multi story dwellings, I have never thought of them as belonging to a specific age bracket.

Has anyone heard of younger people shying away from one story houses? I know that many older folks have trouble with stairs and may prefer them. Is it common for younger buyers and families to prefer a multi story home or do you see no trend in that direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 02:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Trend? Not so much... Perceptions are shaped by lots of experiences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I thought this was interesting. A friend of mine in her 30s who is shopping for a new home will not consider any house on one level. The reason? "Those are for elderly people who don't like stairs."

Aesthetically, I love a cottage, but ranch styles often leave me cold. There are exceptions of course. Though I am more attracted to multi story dwellings, I have never thought of them as belonging to a specific age bracket.

Has anyone heard of younger people shying away from one story houses? I know that many older folks have trouble with stairs and may prefer them. Is it common for younger buyers and families to prefer a multi story home or do you see no trend in that direction?
In many parts of the country ranch homes are significantly less common than multi-story -- it is cheaper to build up compared to having everything on one level.

There are trends that do show folks concerned with "aging in place" are much more likely to choose a ranch but even that is influenced by many factors. Fact is there has been kind of "boom" in all homes having at least some space on the main level that can be used as bedroom for anyone with mobility issues. There are several good options for folks that want to have the convenience of home elevator at relatively attractive prices, basically less than what most folks spend on pre-owned vehicle...

Depending on what sorts of experiences the OP's friend has had it is not nutty for her to associate ranches with older folks but I would suggest that depending on where she is shopping she might miss out on some very interesting homes that may have features / layouts that could be ideal for her needs. There is nothing about this sort of home that says "old people only" -- https://www.architecturaldesigns.com...e-plan-36061dk

Old 06-08-2017, 08:07 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I think that most people don't think ranches are only for old people, but in areas where they aren't common, I think I would assume that people did have a specific reason to seek them out, and a very likely reason is being older and not as good at managing stairs, or at least thinking ahead for when they are.

But in many areas, they are so common that you'd be severely limiting your pool of potential houses if you ruled them out from the start.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

What an inexperienced viewpoint. It just sounds like something she overheard someone say one time.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
As a realtor, I am concerned with my clients having good resale value. I look at location first, then encourage them to look at 1 story homes first, 2 story with mstr and 1 other bdm and at least a 3/4 bath dn stairs on main level next, then one guest rm w/ 3/4 on main level and rest of bdms up, then all bdms up with a 3/4 ba on main level. Multi levels are last on list. People with yoddlers, adults with elderly parents and older people avoid multi level homes, generally. For resale I want the broadest mkt. Which is a one story home.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:39 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,011 times
What a silly viewpoint. Ranches hold appeal for many people who aren't elderly, including those like me with a child with a physical disability.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
One story is the only type of home I want. I think of all the times I get up in the middle of the night with a baby or kids and frankly I don't want to stumble on the stairs and have a fall in the dark while trying to stay awake. Or the kids fall. We had one kid sleep walk and thankfully we were in a one story at that time.

It's also a consideration for pets. I don't want my dogs on the stairs or piddling on the carpet upstairs.
Frankly, I love to open the back door and step right out into the yard. Or jump in the pool. I love being steps away from what needs doing and not all this up and down stuff just to get something, then forgetting and needing to make another trip. Then there's the fact that you spend less on utilities in trying to keep the upstairs cool.

So many reasons to love a one story. And split plans are the way to go with the master away from the other bedrooms. A well designed one story isn't always a ranch.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
I don't think this is a common opinion. I think this is just your friend's opinion which may be shared by some people but not many.

I am a 39-year old, healthy, able person and I would love to have a one-level home.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
It depends where you live in south Florida most homes and almost all older homes are one level. In the northeast where land is more expensive it's very hard to find a one level home.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It's a matter of taste. A multi-story home provides more yard space, is a lot easier to paint and clean the roof, if you do that yourself, cheaper if you pay someone. It's a good idea for seniors downsizing to go to one story but it's certainly not just for them. I grew up in a 3,500 SF ranch, with 1/2 acre lot, and no seniors. For me the only house that's totally off the table is the "mid entry" or "split-level" that's common here, you go up some stairs to an entry area, then have to go up or down more stairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate