Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

They are probably getting a HELOC for the updating/repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I once met Tom Silva at a home show. His point was "when you see the homeowners worrying over cost, that's the best acting on TV." Often the "buyers" actually already own the home and the others are for show or on the fix it up shows the workmanship is shoddy or as on TOH, they have a blank check type bank account and a lot of donated material in return for showing it on the show.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default It is rarely an act...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I once met Tom Silva at a home show. His point was "when you see the homeowners worrying over cost, that's the best acting on TV." Often the "buyers" actually already own the home and the others are for show or on the fix it up shows the workmanship is shoddy or as on TOH, they have a blank check type bank account and a lot of donated material in return for showing it on the show.
I am fortunate to live in a part of Chicago suburbs where there are many homes that do sell for well above $1M and believe me though many of the buyers have VERY solid income they still WORRY a whole lot about what anything related to their home is going to cost. It is no different than in an area where homes are much more affordable -- the difference between somebody having an income of maybe $40k and living in a home that might cost less than $150k and somebody making 10x and having a home worth 10x scales pretty consistently. Heck, given that the more expensive home probably is filled with quite a few more advanced technological gadgets from the kitchen to the laundry & bath to very pricey AV systems and even fancy "outdoor kitchens" it is not uncommon for the pricier home to consume a large part of one's income with maintenance and updates!

The "TV shows" do get quite bit of materials from sponsors at reduced cost / free BUT somebody is still paying the crews to install it and the trade-off is the home owners basically have to DISAPPEAR for huge parts of the filming which also slows down the renovation (editing magic makes it all fit into neat episodes and they rarely if even allow any mention of the TRUE timeline!!!). Even if the production company pays for substantial parts of the remodel the end product is still going to result in not just property taxes but any "gifted" labor $ material results in income tax liability.

The bigger issues about how even the really "over the top" builds / renovations like HomeTime was famous for -- the host was literally BUYING houses and fixing them up as part of the show. He "acted" like a homeowner but was really a pretty sophisticated flipper -- ``HOMETIME' LOST WHEN JOANNE LEFT | | greensboro.com

Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
The down payment difference can account for what I was wondering. I guess the higher your original max pp, the more you can do with a house under it.
I just don't think it applies when they have a 300-400k max and see a house 50-75k under but act like it's going to allow kitchen and bathroom guts, new floors, etc. 10-15k isn't going to go far unless you are or have a family member contractor.
Wouldn't it be smarter to get the more expensive house instead of the heloc? I would rather have one payment and not have a second account attached to the house, especially in the beginning. How can you even get a heloc in the beginning if the home has no/little equity?

Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Clearly, the buyers are not depleting their savings for a down payment.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The down payment difference can account for what I was wondering. I guess the higher your original max pp, the more you can do with a house under it.
I just don't think it applies when they have a 300-400k max and see a house 50-75k under but act like it's going to allow kitchen and bathroom guts, new floors, etc. 10-15k isn't going to go far unless you are or have a family member contractor.
Wouldn't it be smarter to get the more expensive house instead of the heloc? I would rather have one payment and not have a second account attached to the house, especially in the beginning. How can you even get a heloc in the beginning if the home has no/little equity?
For regular people, they can do rehab loans. The FHA 203k is one, and then there is the Homestyle one. We have a bank that does another one here that is 5% down.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
As far as I've heard, almost ALL the "buyers" already own or are under contract for the house they "choose". Think about it. Does the show want to do the filming, have the people choose a house and then have the sales contract fall through? Nope, they want to show a done slam/bang deal.

Notice that the house/condo that is bought almost never has any furniture in it. That's because the old owners have moved out because they sold the house. If the house looks lived-in, it's just a "dummy" house that they're using. The only exception to this is usually a "vacation" house, which is being sold with all furniture included.

House Hunters is for entertainment value, just like other "reality" shows. There is very little "reality" in any of those shows.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
For regular people, they can do rehab loans. The FHA 203k is one, and then there is the Homestyle one. We have a bank that does another one here that is 5% down.
For some reason, I thought the rehab loan was for major issues, not cosmetic. I only see them mentioned on home listings that are real fixer uppers.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sure they do, you must be of an age where people put down the minimum amount for a down payment with nothing left over. Believe it or not, there once was a time where 20% down and money leftover was the norm....apparently some people still do this.

If you are looking at $300K houses and want to put down 20%, you have $60K saved. If you buy a house for $250K and put down $20%, that's $50K. Right there you have $10K.

People today also WANT IT DONE RIGHT NOW I CAN'T LIVE WITH FORMICA COUNTERTOPS AND WHITE APPLIANCES OH MY GOD. It is actually possible to live and function in a house with those things for a few months, or even years, giving you time to save up to make improvements over time.
Not to mention, it wasn't that long ago where you had to buy appliances when you bought a house. Houses didn't come with, generally. Most people took the appliances with them.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
In the particular case of House Hunters, they 'buyers' already must own the home before they will be given a chance to be on tv. It is very staged.

That's why if you've ever noticed, the new homeowners already have some of their belongings moved in.

If you see an episode where there is a big ticket item already inside the show like a piano or pool table, that's the clue that it is the house they picked because they already own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate