U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM

175 posts, read 1,428,899 times

Advertisements

I've been interviewing agents to pick the best one to list my home (or perhaps sell FSBO, or use Assist-to-Sell.....not sure yet)
A couple of the agents said it would be the usual 6%. But one said she'd charge 4.5%, two and a half percent to the buyers agent, and she'd keep two percent for herself. This was not a negotiation, this is what she told me she'd charge. When I asked why, she said "I like to help people out, give them a little break". Hmmmm....your thoughts?
And what about this? Will a buyers agent even show my house to potential buyers if they know they'll only be getting two and a half percent commission?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM

237 posts, read 918,233 times
Hi, i know alot of people on here will say no. But my realtor did it for 4% and I had 25 showings and maybe a possible two offers comming in tomorrow. So I would say yes, at least in MA they do. Mindy Good Luck

Old 03-10-2008, 05:51 PM

930 posts, read 2,301,178 times
I know a lot of realtors who will do it for 1%.

After all...3% of zero is zero.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM

4,146 posts, read 9,900,356 times
Is she a new agent? That's weird for her to just offer that up. I don't take listings for less than 6%, because I know how expensive it is to "properly" market a home. If I list a home and it sells in a few days, meaning that I didn't have to spend much on it, I MAY cut them a deal. Most Realtors that come in with that being the first thing they say are new or bad. We were all new once, so I understand that she needs business, but I'd ask her to go into detail as to why. If she's new, she may be gung ho to work and get that listing sold. Who knows.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 PM

10,333 posts, read 20,128,123 times
You normally get what you pay for. She's taking less than market norm there so you'll probably get less service, skill, and/ or marketing. Taking less is what lesser agents do who know they can't compete with the top dogs. They buy listings, either by taking less or saying they can sell for more. Seller beware.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM

27,025 posts, read 43,606,119 times
That could help the realtors to get more clients and more happy people, I'm all for it. 6% is way to much, maybe if you have a client that wants to see 30 or more homes than 6% is okay other wise it ridiculous high, specially in my case since I have always done most myself. So I will never pay 6% again.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
I know a lot of realtors who will do it for 1%.

After all...3% of zero is zero.
What on earth is 3% of zero is zero supposed to mean here?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 PM

175 posts, read 1,428,899 times
Actually she's not new, she's been an agent for many years. Maybe it's her way of getting more listings in a 'down' market?
I interviewed a total of three agents (including her). Is that enough to choose one to sell your house? They all seemed similar in the fact that they will list your house on the MLS, will print up a brochure, take some pics, mention your house to other agents, put an ad in the local paper, do an open house if you want. What else do agents do? Do they hook you up with the title company stuff? The legal paperwork?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,405,171 times
I'd stay the heck away from Assist 2 Sell. Period. Been there, done that. Our Assist 2 Sell office closed shortly after my listing contract expired with them.

Maybe they operate differently in other areas, though...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
I'd stay the heck away from Assist 2 Sell. Period. Been there, done that. Our Assist 2 Sell office closed shortly after my listing contract expired with them.

Maybe they operate differently in other areas, though...
Ours is the worst company in our market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate