Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree that you might want to canvass your potential neighbors regarding requesting street lights or not. Personally I love my pitch black street at night - i can go out and gaze at the constellations all I want, and the only hazard I have to worry about is possibly a stray fox or, worst case, an even more stray coyote.
He's not going to buy there--he's just looking. He's been looking everywhere, including in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Our very large subdivision does not have streetlights (except on 2 major streets which have no homes on them) by design. It's to avoid light pollution. This neighborhood may very well be the same way. They technically are the jurisdiction of the county (not owned by an HOA or subdivision).

Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
You'll never please everyone. The same people asking for lights are the same people who ask to have the speed limit lowered. Because the safety nannies are more vocal than the rest of us they usually get their way eventually.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
WTF? CD gives me such a dim view of humanity. Ok, so you DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE and you want to add street lights? If street lights are your thing, great! Don't move here then. Mind your business.

seriously I hope the OP is not looking in my neighborhood OR my TOWN as he will be in for a rude awakening...

My town is so against street lights and light pollution that it actually shut off a lot of existing street lights to reduce the light pollution and the tax burden. It only left on street lights at intersections for safety purposes.

We also have regulations about lighting up a site like Walmart as well. everything has to be dark sky compliant.

Our town also has no side walks. (The horror!)

OP must not be used to living in a safe location or in the country....

Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
One neighborhood I looked at does not have street lights on the entire block that is otherwise stable. It is a dead end street is probably the reason why street lights weren't considered for the block. I don't think the lights outside the homes are enough lighting. These are all row homes so the outside lighting of the house does provide SOME lighting but not enough or not as powerful as a bright street light.

You can't seriously think it is just as simple as demanding the city install the lights, right?

Just like any other government action, you need to contact your elected representative and share your concerns. You will also need to be able to prove that other voters care about the same issue. Even once you have an elected official ready to fight for your request, they will have to convince other elected officials that your request deserves priority treatment and a spot in the budget. If you have great skills at navigating this system, you might get 50% of what you asked for installed a few years from now.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:42 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
That was my only little nit-pick with this entire thread--'I want to TELL someone what to do as opposed to ASK'. People who think that way are annoying to me, as if they think they're that important that local government is actually going to rush and do what they were told to do.

Again, I'm nit-picking here, nothing serious, just the phrasing of the thread title is amusing.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM

600 posts, read 566,717 times
I'm in Liberal Orange County SoCAL. My neighborhood has no street lights. Just the way it should be. The only light we get are from homes that leave their front lights on or from the motion detecting flood lights and landscape lighting.

Instead, the $$$ should be used to plant more trees or reroute the hideous power-lines that are a safety hazard with all trees people are growing.

I vote for re-routing the power-lines underground. Instead of installing ugly street lights that attracts drug dealers and prostitutes.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would protest if you wanted to add lighting on my dark street.

I wanna see stars...
That is exactly what I was going to say! Not everyone wants street lights.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Back to the thread title, you don't "tell" the city, you petition or "ask" the city. Unless the OP is willing to foot the bill, it may talk months or years to get approval.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Our town also has no side walks.
So you can only drive and are unable to walk anywhere? Incredible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate