Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM

182 posts, read 238,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well OP was apparently willing to pay $267,500 for it initially...

True- like I mentioned previously-- when you come from a state where your taxes are over 10 grand a year and the house is 267.000 compared to 400,000, it seemed like a bargain.

Bottom line - was the bank willing to pay 250,000 (mortgage after my down payment) and the bank said "nope."

I suppose the whole point of my thread was appraisals and the big difference between sell price and appraised value and if anyone else had experienced something similar and if it was worth it to find another lender and go through it again when a difference like that is so large.

Doesn't matter now because the situation has resolved. Our agent told us that even if we got a 2nd appraisal and it came back around the same that the seller "wasn't going to give her house away". Told us all we needed to know so we cancelled the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 AM

47 posts, read 35,940 times
I'm buying a house of 500k in South California. Appraisal came back 485. I was willing to go to the middle and the seller also. 7500 each. This is reasonable. 37 for 250 house is not reasonable.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:04 AM

182 posts, read 238,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmith76 View Post
I'm buying a house of 500k in South California. Appraisal came back 485. I was willing to go to the middle and the seller also. 7500 each. This is reasonable. 37 for 250 house is not reasonable.

That does seem reasonable. If ours had been only a difference of say 10 grand..I would have no problem splitting that.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM

204 posts, read 180,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A house is worth what a willing buyer will pay. If a cash buyer pays the full asking price, that's what it is worth. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, what you owe on it or what you think it's worth. It doesn't matter what the assessor says or the appraiser says or what the comps come in at. The appraiser merely provides an educated guess for the lender to make a decision on how much to loan.
Only in fantasy land.

In the real world title, banks, insurance companies go by the appraisal.

Sure it could be wrong, thats what second opinions are for.
Placing the blame on the agent or seller won't fix the issue at hand.

A rich buyer could certainly pay more than its worth.

A distressed seller could take less than its worth.

In the end you're at the mercy of price per square foot + land offset by similar comps.

Unless there was $37K worth of gold buried in the garage you're SOL when borrowing money.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:55 AM

792 posts, read 492,545 times
It's been a few years now, but when we bought our current house it was appraised less than our agreed price because the basement "scored" lower than "living" space, it was something like 75% of the value per sqft. Which is silly because I spend the vast amount of non-sleeping time in that space. The difference was a few thousand dollars, I just paid it myself. I figured the seller and I had agreed on a price, I wasn't going to ask them to drop it and I wasn't going to waste time over 3k on a house I wanted.

I do remember the lender being surprised they didn't just "make" the number work being so close to what we had agreed on.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM

25,384 posts, read 17,044,373 times
Our home is not for sale just yet. We may sell in a few years; we already have a place to go, but not just yet.

My first call will be to an appraiser. I'll pay for it up front.
Then the realtor.
I am not going to be surprised when it comes to valuing our home.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:16 PM

32,523 posts, read 47,566,435 times
Had OP looked at a lot of houses before offering? It seems that if this house was so overpriced that OP could have found something just as good for a lot less. How fast are prices going up in that area?

I'm in escrow now. If the house doesn't appraise, so what? I've spent months looking to find a house that works for me and I've seen what I can get for the price and I've had several good prospects snatched right out from underneath me, so someone is buying at that price level. If the appraisal comes in low, I am still going to pay the price we agreed on, because I know this house at this price is the best I am going to be able to do.

I would think that OP's house, at that price point, because the price is a large percentage over fair market value, that any sort of shopping around at all would have revealed that the house was priced considerably higher than comparable houses.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:17 PM

47 posts, read 35,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Our home is not for sale just yet. We may sell in a few years; we already have a place to go, but not just yet.

My first call will be to an appraiser. I'll pay for it up front.
Then the realtor.
I am not going to be surprised when it comes to valuing our home.
Smart.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:21 PM

14,366 posts, read 11,859,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
It's been a few years now, but when we bought our current house it was appraised less than our agreed price because the basement "scored" lower than "living" space, it was something like 75% of the value per sqft. Which is silly because I spend the vast amount of non-sleeping time in that space.
Split levels suffer this fate in appraisals. Had a split level under-appraise because they only count the upper floor at 100% value... even if the lower level is all above grade, it's counted as basement, and lesser value. Hard lesson, but way to get a bargain too, on a larger house. Look at split levels.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,534,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
BUT, even if the OP gets a new lender and new appraisal that still doesn't mean the appraisal would come back higher; therefore, costing the OP more time and money paying for such. Plus....it would be another pull to the OP's credit! NO way are the "improvements" mentioned worth $80K and the roof and A/C are now 8 years old, so not exactly new. This seller is in denial and has a crappy realtor at that!

OP, find a new house!
Yup. Time to move onto another house. The seller doesn't care if she sells unless she gets exactly what she wants. Let it be her problem. Find another house. Don't start off life in your new home tens of thousands in the hole.....so not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate