Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,604,350 times

Advertisements

There's a sucker born every minute...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,771,429 times
$325/night? And they already have nearly $40,000 worth of rentals booked on the calendar? This is crazy! It' not like this tiny house is on a beach or is surrounded by high valued homes/properties that might somehow justify (even slightly) this ridiculous selling price.

There are 950k different ways to spend money on things that make sense. This isn't one of them!

Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
As someone who likes to visit B&Bs in "small town Texas", I can tell you that Waco aka GainesTown isn't such a big draw :/ I'd rather go to Granbury, which is on a lake, or Fredericksburg or the Hill Country. Those places are perfect for B&Bs, not Waco, which doesn't have the small country charm or enough things to do. It's a day trip type of place...you drive there for the Zoo or now Magnolia but that's it. There's a better bakery outside of Waco along 35 (can't remember the name). Waco unfortunately is "just there", sandwiched between two MSAs.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The infrastructure that drives homes over 400K is not really in Waco except for the medical
And I think it is county seat so it has courthouse and court offices and more attorneys
There are probably some Baylor people who could afford that price range especially if both spouses are working...

I was really surprised especially in the first season to see people with kids buying homes inside the city with such a distain for the neighborhood
How do you recoup a 100K remodel when none of your neighbors are doing the same???
Exactly. Plus Waco proper has so many areas with crime issues :/ I can only see out of state people plunking down that type of money to live there based on the allure of a TV show du jeur. Locals wouldn't spend that kind of money except for the estate areas. Though don't get me wrong, I would like to see Waco prosper and if there's a show that makes that happen, then I'm all for it

Old 07-05-2017, 02:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
Not actually the case--
The sellers likely have no expectation they would get anywhere close to that but they love the buzz of having their house talked about because that will help advertise it to people renting on AirBnB...

Old 07-05-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not actually the case--
The sellers likely have no expectation they would get anywhere close to that but they love the buzz of having their house talked about because that will help advertise it to people renting on AirBnB...
that's the thing. Waco just isn't the place where I'd want to stay when it comes to B&Bs.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
But if you are a big Baylor alumnus or a parent with a kid at that school with family wanting to come to graduation or some special event--believe me it is better to stay at one of Chip and Jo's redos than some of the hotels in the area...
We rented a house in Lakeway (Austin area) when my son was married and it was so much better than hotel room...we had family friend w/her married daughter and toddler and then we had my husband's nephew and his wife stay with us since we had extra bedroom not using...
More space to move around--people had some privacy--decent kitchen...
For some situations renting a house is definitely the way to go than motel rooms...
And the price by the time we figured 3 hotel rooms was comparable...

Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 AM

989 posts, read 2,494,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It looks more like a decorated out-house. Not worth more than $50,000.
I don't like it. Who'd wanna live in that weird looking barn. In any case, for 12 acres near Waco and that building, realistically perhaps $200-$300, but nothing close to 1.2M

Fixer-Upper is fun to watch but frankly all their stuff tends to look the same. Shiplap, same kind of flooring, same kind of look, essentially everything ends up looking like their own house on their "farm".

Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I don't like it. Who'd wanna live in that weird looking barn. In any case, for 12 acres near Waco and that building, realistically perhaps $200-$300, but nothing close to 1.2M

Fixer-Upper is fun to watch but frankly all their stuff tends to look the same. Shiplap, same kind of flooring, same kind of look, essentially everything ends up looking like their own house on their "farm".
agree that they all look the same, but I would assume that's what people are going for, they know they are getting a "Joanna Gaines house" and would presumably be disappointed if it didn't look that way.

It's interesting to me because I would say objectively, she's very good at what she does and the houses look very nice, but subjectively, they aren't really my taste. Sure, I like certain individual elements, but overall it's too rustic/farmhouse/shabby chic/whatever adjectives are being used these days for me

Old 07-06-2017, 12:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Just no. Waco is one of the cheapest markets in the country. Here is what you get for under $900,000 (magnificent almost 7000 square foot ranch for those who don't want to follow the link): https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_f/...1000000000.jpg
Waco is cheap because their job market is a joke. It's sad really...Waco COULD be a decent place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate