Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 10:25 AM

36 posts, read 24,968 times

Advertisements

It is illegal to shoot down a drone spying on you, trespassing and violating your privacy. Great direction we are going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,981,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I would be clearly pissed off about this! This realtor would see me on his door step throwing his glossy flyer in his face. Just like the time I went down to the real estate office to throw the yard sign they placed on my property back at them. They had the balls to place a for sale sign in my front yard that was for a house down the street. Oh and David......keep shootin down those drones buddy!
I would also write a letter to the editor.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 AM

8,151 posts, read 6,895,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We, as a people are still trying to figure out how to feel about drones.

I think the fear of them is an over-reaction, but I can also predict a future that is more congested with them, and rules will probably need to be developed.

It is NOT illegal, in all jurisdictions, to fly over someone else's property. It is illegal to fly over uninvolved people. Rules may vary locally. We probably will settle on consistent rules eventually. I hope so.

FWIW, it would not be able to sneak over anyone sunbathing in a back yard and take a picture from close enough to show anything. Cameras on drones are typically wide angle lenses, to capture wide panaramas. They're not zoom lenses, so they're not going to be able to photograph anyone close up without that person knowing it is there. You can hear them, if they're that close.

Out here in the country, for years, helicopters would go overhead and take aerial photos of properties, and come up the driveway later, offering prints, framed, for sale. Lots of people bought them. I see them all the time when I visit farms. I don't remember anyone saying they were bothered by it, from a privacy standpoint, though a low flying helicopter sounds scarier to me, and my animals, than a drone. It's all about what we're accustomed to.

Not picking you out really, but your post contained a lot of things that I hear from other people when discussing privacy, etc.

To understand the importance of privacy, (or to at least see it in a different light) this is a very good talk by Glenn Greenwald.
It trickles down to many areas of our lives, from government surveillance, to yes even your neighbor who happens to have a drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcSlowAhvUk

peace,
sparrow

Old 07-04-2017, 12:38 PM

14,430 posts, read 11,989,150 times
I am in a low signal area in our pasture so I can't watch the video but the important context in what I was trying to say there is that it's not going to take close-up pictures without you knowing it is there. With the quality of lenses currently available on drones if it is close enough to get detail, it will not be a secret. That's not an excuse for anyone taking unwanted pictures... it's just a reality check on what they're capable of.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:49 PM

Well, OK! that settles that, then!

Old 07-04-2017, 08:03 PM

34 posts, read 46,733 times
They should just use one of their brochures from a property they listed as an example.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:34 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,102,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_quinn View Post
They should just use one of their brochures from a property they listed as an example.
I was thinking the same thing. Not only would this be easier for a realtor to do, IMO he would get more business this way. He would have to make hundreds of postcards to find listings the other way. It would make me wonder if this guy has too much time on his hands or if he doesn't know much about efficient marketing. I personally wouldn't hire this realtor, but everyone's different. Who am I to say? Maybe using a drone in this way would impress some people. But I suspect it would create more bad will than good will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I would also write a letter to the editor.
In a similar way, when we had a problem with a realtor going overboard on posting signs, a complaint on the neighborhood watch forum (along with about 50-60 comments adamantly agreeing) got the problem solved.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
But I suspect it would create more bad will than good will.
You can say that again! Never would have guessed the level of hostility about them. Good to know!

Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 AM

628 posts, read 285,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INSOM NNY View Post
It is illegal to shoot down a drone spying on you, trespassing and violating your privacy. Great direction we are going in.
I agree - I really do think it's great that I don't have to worry about some idiot discharging a weapon in a residential area in an overblown response to something that is so high up that it's not even close to 'spying' on you.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:27 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,513,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We have an investment property in a very hot area. Over the weekend my tenant showed us a flyer that a local realtor had made as a mock ad to get us to sell the house. It included some exterior pics and some drone shots that showed the back yard and roof, all very glossy and professionally done.

Now, is this me or is it too much? Our tenant is a young woman who lives alone and she said she feels creeped out that a local realtor is flying a drone around while she could be sunbathing in the (privacy fenced for a reason) yard. We have no intention of selling right now.

Is this common? Should I do anything?
Depending on your state's laws, your tenant may have an action for invasion of privacy. If they flew over the property line, you may have an action for trespass. There's not much else there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate