Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:19 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

We have an investment property in a very hot area. Over the weekend my tenant showed us a flyer that a local realtor had made as a mock ad to get us to sell the house. It included some exterior pics and some drone shots that showed the back yard and roof, all very glossy and professionally done.

Now, is this me or is it too much? Our tenant is a young woman who lives alone and she said she feels creeped out that a local realtor is flying a drone around while she could be sunbathing in the (privacy fenced for a reason) yard. We have no intention of selling right now.

Is this common? Should I do anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
I would be uncomfortable with this.

Did they take the shots from the street or did they have to fly over your property? I know here it is illegal to fly a drone over someone else's property.

I would call them and let them know they you do not appreciate it and feel it is inappropriate and invasion of privacy. If you can tell by the shots that they flew over your yard, I'd also inform them of the laws around drone usage.

I wouldn't make a big deal of it, but I would speak up so someone else doesn't have the same experience.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
> Is this common?

Well if it's not common yet it's probably gonna be.

Yes, it is creepy. No, there is probably nothing much you can do. I suppose there is a long shot possibility that telling the guy that he is now off your possibles list will help. But I don't know, creeps gonna be creeps.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I would be uncomfortable with this.

Did they take the shots from the street or did they have to fly over your property? I know here it is illegal to fly a drone over someone else's property.

I would call them and let them know they you do not appreciate it and feel it is inappropriate and invasion of privacy. If you can tell by the shots that they flew over your yard, I'd also inform them of the laws around drone usage.

I wouldn't make a big deal of it, but I would speak up so someone else doesn't have the same experience.
They did a nice exterior shot, probably from across the street but they definitely had to fly over the property. I looked up this agent and all of his listings are kind of formulaic in that they include the same types of drone shots that he included on this flyer.

I have no idea what the laws are in this area regarding drones.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
They did a nice exterior shot, probably from across the street but they definitely had to fly over the property. I looked up this agent and all of his listings are kind of formulaic in that they include the same types of drone shots that he included on this flyer.

I have no idea what the laws are in this area regarding drones.
I only know because my neighborhood has a Facebook Crime Watch group and they posted the city ordinance. It hasn't stopped a few of my neighbors from breaking rules though. One of them is an older man being nosy and spying on everyone. So creepy. Anyway...

I would look it up for sure.

I don't really get the appeal of drone shots. Here those types of shots only appear on the most expensive properties. And most of them offer nothing more than standard photos. I could understand if you are lakefront or have an elaborate yard with a fancy pool and tennis courts or something, but a standard house on a regular old lot? Even with a regular pool? Nah. I flip past them when looking at pictures. I'd rather see closer shots from the ground.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I only know because my neighborhood has a Facebook Crime Watch group and they posted the city ordinance. It hasn't stopped a few of my neighbors from breaking rules though. One of them is an older man being nosy and spying on everyone. So creepy. Anyway...

I would look it up for sure.

I don't really get the appeal of drone shots. Here those types of shots only appear on the most expensive properties. And most of them offer nothing more than standard photos. I could understand if you are lakefront or have an elaborate yard with a fancy pool and tennis courts or something, but a standard house on a regular old lot? Even with a regular pool? Nah. I flip past them when looking at pictures. I'd rather see closer shots from the ground.
Yeah I don't get them either. I think this guy just wants to get his money's worth out of his toy as he seems to use them a lot. Maybe it sets him apart from his competition-- I don't know.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:03 AM

14,482 posts, read 12,107,650 times
We, as a people are still trying to figure out how to feel about drones.

I think the fear of them is an over-reaction, but I can also predict a future that is more congested with them, and rules will probably need to be developed.

It is NOT illegal, in all jurisdictions, to fly over someone else's property. It is illegal to fly over uninvolved people. Rules may vary locally. We probably will settle on consistent rules eventually. I hope so.

FWIW, it would not be able to sneak over anyone sunbathing in a back yard and take a picture from close enough to show anything. Cameras on drones are typically wide angle lenses, to capture wide panaramas. They're not zoom lenses, so they're not going to be able to photograph anyone close up without that person knowing it is there. You can hear them, if they're that close.

Out here in the country, for years, helicopters would go overhead and take aerial photos of properties, and come up the driveway later, offering prints, framed, for sale. Lots of people bought them. I see them all the time when I visit farms. I don't remember anyone saying they were bothered by it, from a privacy standpoint, though a low flying helicopter sounds scarier to me, and my animals, than a drone. It's all about what we're accustomed to.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 AM

14,482 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
We have a drone and use it, mostly for farm properties, where it's difficult to see the whole property and how the land and buildings are laid out. REALLY beneficial for that.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We, as a people are still trying to figure out how to feel about drones.

I think the fear of them is an over-reaction, but I can also predict a future that is more congested with them, and rules will probably need to be developed.

It is NOT illegal, in all jurisdictions, to fly over someone else's property. It is illegal to fly over uninvolved people. Rules may vary locally. We probably will settle on consistent rules eventually. I hope so.

FWIW, it would not be able to sneak over anyone sunbathing in a back yard and take a picture from close enough to show anything. Cameras on drones are typically wide angle lenses, to capture wide panaramas. They're not zoom lenses, so they're not going to be able to photograph anyone close up without that person knowing it is there. You can hear them, if they're that close.

Out here in the country, for years, helicopters would go overhead and take aerial photos of properties, and come up the driveway later, offering prints, framed, for sale. Lots of people bought them. I see them all the time when I visit farms. I don't remember anyone saying they were bothered by it, from a privacy standpoint, though a low flying helicopter sounds scarier to me, and my animals, than a drone. It's all about what we're accustomed to.
I know people who have purchased the helicopter shots. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me. My creepy neighbor will follow me while I'm out walking. Ugh. He isn't subtle, either, because I hear it despite headphones being in. I know he is harmless, just nosy, but it doesn't matter when it makes you feel like you are constantly being watched.

We have a school within walking distance. A few weeks ago, on a Sunday, my niece and I walked over so she could play on the playground. We were the only ones there. All of a sudden, here comes a drone. It came from the direction of my subdivision, so it was likely the creepy neighbor, but I can't be certain it was his. Still, drones over schools and playgrounds are completely inappropriate without written consent of the school, in my opinion. Regardless of the local laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We have a drone and use it, mostly for farm properties, where it's difficult to see the whole property and how the land and buildings are laid out. REALLY beneficial for that.
And that is where it makes sense. But I've seen a few shots where the only new information I learned is the location of the mailbox, lol.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:23 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Any drone flying lower than the tops of a few very tall trees on my property will get shot down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate