Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We were across country with three kids and finding a new home to live in etc. Our realtor should have monitored that daily IMO. She knew we were on this vacation and told us we were leaving our home in good hands. We had written instructions in our viewing requests that our AC be kept at 78 when not showing. BIG MESS!
Why was your realtor not responsible for the damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
We have experienced the large group looking at homes when it came down to making a decision. It was generally a cultural thing where the whole family needed to see the home,share their wisdom and make a group decision on behalf of the family that would actually buy the house.

I am trying to recall right now what the occasion was for another occurrence. I think it was the time people were taking a long time in the basement, sounded like they were even partying down there. I turned the lights off, slammed the door and locked it loudly. They didn't like that. Acted like I was shocked they were still there.

I, too, do not like people dawdling over items that do not convey. I don't even like them commenting on items that don't convey. I'll say "Oh, that doesn't convey". They'll say a stunned, "Whaaat?" Found out it's not that they are upset the item did not convey but rather they are astonished at being called out on handling and dawdling over and criticizing private property which they already knew did not convey. They were just having a day window shopping in my house.

A good place to hide away last minute things we wanted out of sight was the vehicle. Pack it in, drive it around for a while.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:08 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaJoe View Post
Have your agent put in the private remarks section in MLS that no offers contingent on a home sale will be considered.
Another suggestion is to tell your realtor to make a note that people have to be preapproved, NOT prequalified. That way you know the buyers actually have the credit scores, etc. to buy your house and they are not just looky loos wasting everybody's time.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:19 AM

86 posts, read 84,116 times
When we were selling our house years ago, my son was a baby. He had his baby toys around. One of the kids who was with his parents looking at our house took my son's special toy and hid it in another room.

Hello, if you bring your little kids to someone's home, control them. Hands off the seller's possessions.

Then again, these people were idiots who bought our house and never came back until the closing.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:26 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It is the responsibility of the realtor doing the showing to make sure things are taken care of properly. People bring their kids along and they do all kinds of stuff and the parents just walk out without supervising them. A good realtor would check to make sure everything is back in place like it show be.
Agree with this. The realtor has the responsibility to make sure everything is as it was when they entered. If this had happened to me, there would have been a come to Jesus meeting with said realtor and his/her boss.

Not sure how to weed out the tire kickers though unless you only show to serious, pre approved buyers.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It is the responsibility of the realtor doing the showing to make sure things are taken care of properly. People bring their kids along and they do all kinds of stuff and the parents just walk out without supervising them. A good realtor would check to make sure everything is back in place like it show be.

While I agree that a realtor, good or otherwise, should check these things, a decent prospective purchaser wouldn't need a realtor to make sure it had all been done right.
I've only ever bought two houses, and sold one, I didn't need anyone to check on me, I went in, looked around, maybe measured this and that, then left the properties exactly as I found them.
Had I left a door or window open, or a footprint on the carpet, I couldn't have lived with myself.
When I sold the first house that I bought, to finance the the next one, where I live now, the young couple who bought it fell in love with it, and said that they'd match or improve any subsequent higher offer that I got.
I said that that wasn't the way I rolled, I wanted £X for the house, they were ready to pay it, the house was theirs, no matter who or what came down the pike later.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
What was rude?

A last minute appointment when we have a 2 hour minimum

At dinner time

Then staying for 90 minutes

And not putting things back how they found them

When they are not in a position to buy

This should have been an opportunity for their agent to preview the home.

Moreover, IMO, during a first showing, you are a guest in someone's home.

During a second showing, I think you can get much more into the nitty and gritty.

But I would NEVER open someone's dresser drawer, as they did mine.

Cabinets, closets, sure. But someone's personal furniture? No way.

This is the only showing that has been like this, so I do not expect it and will hope it is the exception and not the norm.

BTW, for those questioning the temperature, we do not have a regular heat pump, so that is why 74 may be cool and comfortable, while you may need yours set to 72.
I guess we just view it differently. The last minute appt thing is very common. They did check with you first & you said yes. The problem with showings is that you're pretty much at their mercy, if you want to sell the house. Opening a dresser drawer, I agree with you there, I thought you meant kitchen drawers. Staying for 90 minutes is typically a good thing when you have showings, I don't see anything negative about that at all. If I'm interested in a house, I'm measuring for furniture on the first showing. Of course if they weren't in a position to buy, that's another story, but my bet is that their sales rep didn't know that non contingency offers weren't acceptable or maybe they could have bought w/o selling their house. It's sales though, a sales rep is always gonna try.

I'm just going based on my experience a year ago We didn't have even 1 showing where the lights were left correctly, even AFTER I left a sign telling people not to touch the lights. Not one. On at least 1/2 of them, the blinds had been changed & this time IDK how many last minute cancellations we had without notice, b/c we didn't have to leave the house & wait for them to be done, but I've had that in many other house sales before. I've even called the showing agent's boss to complain about not receiving a cancellation call. I remember many times, doing last minute urgent cleanings, taking unexpected time off in the middle of the day, coming home to get the dogs out of the house after taking time off work, sitting in my car, around the block or down the street waiting for the people to leave & often they were very late or did a drive by & never went in & sometimes didn't show at all.

I completely get that this stuff is irritating & annoying, but to me it's just a part of the lovely experience of selling a house. I know when I'm house hunting & I may have 10 showings lined up in a row, my schedule sometimes changes or I decide not to go inside at one of the houses. It happens. It doesn't make it any less frustrating or annoying to deal with, when you're on the receiving end though. You're right, this stuff IS annoying & I reread & saw that you wanted to vent, so I get it, it's just so common to me, that I don't view it as unusual :-(

Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 AM

857 posts, read 975,196 times
I had one realtor show up an hour early and almost got mauled by my three very large guard dogs. She said......I was in the area and thought I'd stop by. That almost was her last day on earth. She was lucky that I was close to the door and shoved her back out the door.
Someone else came at another time and let my chickens out....not happy at all.
If I decided to sell this house, I will not leave the property. When someone is inside, I will go in my backyard, when they look at the yard, I will go inside. I've also had my doors left unlocked.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post

How about going on vacation with the kids and pets? Just take off and tell your realtor to have at it. Hopefully it'll sell when you're gone. That's what happened to us. We went on vacation and had an offer while gone.
I'd never go on vacation and leave my house in the hands of a realtor. First off, that's not their job. My realtor won't be present at every showing and they're not going to go over and check the lights, water, windows, doors, etc. Secondly, if something happens, no one knows when it happened or who was in the house because the seller's been gone for days. No thanks....too many headaches possible.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why was your realtor not responsible for the damage?
Why would the realtor be responsible? They didn't cause the damage and they're not house sitters. Totally different profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate