Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 PM

37 posts, read 34,693 times

Advertisements

So I bought a house with my ex in CA and we are splitting up. I am going to move out and she is going to buy my 50% share, after we have the house appraised. She stated that even though I am moving out, I need to continue to pay half the mortgage for 3 months because when she decides to sell (in one year, five years, whenever), it typically takes about three months to sell, and those three months would be "on her" so to speak.

Long story short: am I obligated to pay the mortgage after I sign the quitclaim deed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 08:47 PM

14,637 posts, read 12,305,115 times
You're obligated to whatever you agree to with your soon-to-be ex.

I'm assuming there are other issues, property and otherwise, to work out to an equitable split. Can't look at one issue in a vacuum.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 PM

11,848 posts, read 34,517,528 times
No. And I bet you are not tenants in common either.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 12,305,115 times
Another important point. A quit-claim deed releases your ownership of the property, it does NOT release you from the mortgage. Only the lender can do that.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,753,721 times
As mentioned above, it is something you would have to agree to. Her reasoning in the matter is ridiculous. She takes over ownership, so all responsibilities going forward are hers.
Anyway, whatever you agree to will be spelled out in the divorce decree. She will likely have so many months to refinance the loan into her name only and get the equity buyout funds to you in exchange for the quitclaim deed. If she has the available liquid funds to buy you out, she would still have to refi to get your name off of the mortgage, but you would get your money much sooner.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
As mentioned above, it is something you would have to agree to. Her reasoning in the matter is ridiculous. She takes over ownership, so all responsibilities going forward are hers.
Anyway, whatever you agree to will be spelled out in the divorce decree. She will likely have so many months to refinance the loan into her name only and get the equity buyout funds to you in exchange for the quitclaim deed. If she has the available liquid funds to buy you out, she would still have to refi to get your name off of the mortgage, but you would get your money much sooner.
We're not married so there will be no divorce decree.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:17 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,753,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer1 View Post
We're not married so there will be no divorce decree.
Well, then you have to be even more careful. Make sure she refinances the loan. Don't sign the deed until she refinances. The title company is used to handling all of that. The deed will get recorded at the same time the new mortgage is.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Well, then you have to be even more careful. Make sure she refinances the loan. Don't sign the deed until she refinances. The title company is used to handling all of that. The deed will get recorded at the same time the new mortgage is.
Thank you

Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,703,330 times
Even though this is not a divorce you would do well to retain an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate