Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:21 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

For us.
1. Location
2. The window wall in the staged model
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
For us.
1. Location
2. The window wall in the staged model
Neighbors are stealing yer power

Old 07-30-2017, 02:54 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I want good neighbors and at least a two car garage. I would settle for less bedrooms for more garage space. No dining room either. They make no sense unless you are a formal diner. Dining rooms are a waste of space. Like the bedrooms to be separated ,not right on top of each other. Don't want an old home either unless it's inspected. Plumbing and electrical usually are a problem with older homes.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:28 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Well, today I attended an open house. The listing had caught my eye due to location and two main floor masters. I knew going in there would be things I wouldn't like.

First stop - the kitchen. Opened a drawer. Flimsy and not soft-close. Ditto the cabinets. The counters were the ugliest quartz I've ever seen.

Dining room... lovely views... but with all the windows and 4 sets of doors there's very little wall space to place furniture. The longest wall... 3 feet.

Ceilings on the second floor were too low. 7'7" Main floor 9ft.. finished basement 7'9".

Walkout basement had cork floors. CORK?? The unfinished basement turned out to be my favorite part of the house. Fabulous work bench that stays... and tons of space and ventilation for my projects.

Then I read the service record attached to the oil fired furnace. It's been a PITA since day one. Seems every 18 months or so there's an emergency call for no heat or no hot water.

The highly touted emergency generator turned out to be only 8KW.

Then I saw the framed blueprints on the wall and saw the builder's name. Ugh.. known for great looking homes.. but no substance.

At current list $880K... it's still over-priced almost $100K against sold comps. For the particular town and location it's in the top 1% of the market.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:04 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The garage. Is it big enough for me. The rest of the house, I really don't care.
hahaha same here.

I do look carefully for an inspector though.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:26 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
obviously all of the above, but no one here mentioned standing at the front door and looking out, as if you already live there.

1- do you like what you see? (because it isnt going to change.) does it please you, or annoy you, and all it will take is seconds. You either like what you see or you dont.

2 - Are there any noise type of generators on any of the roofs neraby, or any nearby stores, does your next door neighbor have the a/c condensor right where your patio would be....

Im noise sensitive, so thats stuff I like to look for.

3 - Any street with a basket ball hoop, is a big fat NO way in hell for me.

4 - I dont wanna live near a park and hear screaming little kids and basketballs

I'd never in a billion years live on a two way street, or a major boulevard, or avenue, or ay street where buses drive down on a daily basis.

i wouldnt live on a cul de sac or a dead end.

The reason i fell in love with my apartment was because it was on the top floor and nothing is obstructing my views, and no one lives above me.

its bright sunny and we have big windows and all my sons are on thier own and I no longer feel the need to want or take care of a house. Im never moving ever again.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
One thing I always do is make a prioritized and weighted list of the top twenty specific things I want in a new home. Then, when viewing homes, I weigh each of these things on a 1-5 scale - and take pictures. If something desirable comes-up that I hadn't considered, it can be added to the list as an 'extra credit' item.

This helps maintain objectivity when looking at homes, avoids confusing houses on reflection - and gives the realtor a clearer picture of what I'm interested in seeing.

It also gives me an objective tool with which to evaluate whether the realtor is working to find what I want or whether they are only trying to sell me what they have.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I want good neighbors and at least a two car garage. I would settle for less bedrooms for more garage space.
I totally agree, in fact we take it a step further and look for places listed as having oversized two car garages. Sometimes a "two car garage" is pretty small. Made the mistake of getting a house with a small garage the first time we bought a place and won't do that again.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I have to say I'm surprised at the number of people who prioritize garage space over living space. To each their own, I guess!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I have to say I'm surprised at the number of people who prioritize garage space over living space. To each their own, I guess!

yes, i was thinking the same thing as you...

but then, i have never in my life ever had a garage...so any garage would make my happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate