Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

Ugly curb appeal often means major work needed on the inside too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I've had clients where 'curb appeal' was one of the things they wanted designed into their houses.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
It's seems to me that "curb appeal" in the US took a major blow with the rise of the big chain builders like Ryan, Beazer, Pulte, etc. (tract housing).

These businesses go in and clear cut the land and remove 98% of the trees and come up with 4 or 5 plans that everyone is supposed to be happy with. The architecture cannot stand the test of time (90s homes look awkaward now, with all of the arched windows everywhere). There is no sense of proportion or scale. The homes aren't ideally suited to the lot, and often there are no trees taller than the home to break up the sense of perspective between roofline and sky.

Classic design, which is often a more simple design, will always to my eye have more appeal than what is being spit out and mass produced today.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I am buying my late aunt's house and it has awful, awful curb appeal. She painted it a horrible dark green, the shutters are too long and narrow for the windows and the walkway is a combination of cement that goes to the screened in front porch but not where the door is so it is a cement walkway that goes nowhere. Then she had someone put large cement pavers to make a walkway from the driveway to the part of the screen porch that does have a door.

The dirt in front has been washed away over the years (no gutters) so the bottom of the foundation is showing. All in all, there's not one positive thing I can say about the outside of this house. I like the inside, it suits my purposes and I'm buying for a price so ridiculously low it's hard to believe, so with a little effort I hope to make it look beautiful.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree, and what it comes down to is almost subliminal. In my mind, I'm thinking, "these people want to sell this house, they should be doing everything in their power to put their best foot forward".
If they aren't, I'm thinking one of two things
-They couldn't be bothered with any upkeep on this house, so what might I find weeks or months after moving in.
-They can't afford to make it look good, so again....what has been left to go that I might find out about weeks or months after moving in AND they may HAVE to move so I can get the best deal possible.
Subliminal. That's it. I'm putting my house on the market next month. I hope my year old exterior paint, my trimmed landscaping, my new door mat and my flower pots give the right impression. If it were a hot mess out there, I'd hope someone would use their brain and say "we can paint and landscape,etc." but sometimes your heart stops the practical from ever getting to the brain.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:59 AM

182 posts, read 239,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Yes !

I can fix the curb appeal on the house I'm buying but if the house next to me has a curb appeal that is an eyesore, then no thanks.

Amen to this but even with google street view you get hosed. Saw a great house online--street viewed the hood up and down and it looked go so we drove out. Yikes...the house 3 doors down had a huge sign nailed to his garage that said..."warning will shoot on site if you ring this doorbell".

We noped out of there. Then I realized that you can look at the lower right corner and find the date the street view was taken-it was 4 years old. So crazy neighbor is dragging down the whole community by his crazy. This was in Florida space coast- so I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
While we are talking on the subject of what we look for in a house, I know curb appeal is important to many people, but curb appeal can be fixed.
After watching those "find a home" shows for how many years, the one thing I learned is that most people don't know how to see beyond what they actually see.

I totally agree with you....as a buyer. I don't care about curb appeal of the house I'm looking at as I can fix that. As a seller though, curb appeal is important.

The other important thing...curb appeal of the neighbors/neighborhood. I don't expect professional landscaping, but y'know, somewhat neat/tidy would be nice.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:00 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I totally agree with you....as a buyer. I don't care about curb appeal of the house I'm looking at as I can fix that. As a seller though, curb appeal is important.

The other important thing...curb appeal of the neighbors/neighborhood. I don't expect professional landscaping, but y'know, somewhat neat/tidy would be nice.
Yeah - buyers and sellers actually are on opposing sides of the house sale/purchase game. Sellers want to be able to fix up and spruce up to bring buyers into their house and to give a good first impression - often the one that sticks. Whereas buyers want two things: to be able to see beyond the skin-deep fixups to the main features of the house, and to be able to visualize how a dog can look once it's fixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate