U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM

27,889 posts, read 37,835,405 times

Advertisements

While we are talking on the subject of what we look for in a house, I know curb appeal is important to many people, but curb appeal can be fixed.

I see very little good landscaping and changing the landscaping can make a huge difference in a new house.

If I pull up in front of an ugly house, I take a minute to think about what would fix the curb appeal. Sometimes a front porch, which is cheap if not covered and expensive if covered. Maybe a small covered area over the front door. Possibly new shutters.

Sometimes just changing the paint color is all it needs.

Houses are all just a series of boxes and you can change how they look. Sometimes it would cost too much money, sometimes there is an easy fix.

I don't like the McMansions with 4 different types of fake stone or brick facade and lots of do-dads. I suspect that most of those would be an expensive fix to make them look more like a normal house, although it could be done.

The plain houses are usually an easy fix and often a low cost fix.

Sellers really need to consider it, but buyers, especially in a tight market, maybe should think about it, too. Houses that lack curb appeal don't sell well and sometimes can be had for a good price. Fixing the curb appeal can add an awful lot of value.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 01:11 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,650,863 times
Landscaping is a good way to increase curb appeal.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:16 PM

3,513 posts, read 2,140,222 times
Yes, OP, curb appeal is so important. Often a prospective buyer won't even go into a house that they consider "ugly" from the outside. And sometimes it takes so little to make a big difference. Sometimes, of course, the place is unfixable, but usually there's SOMETHING that can be done. My DH and I like to drive by neighborhoods, take a tacky-looking place as example, and say what we'd do to fix its curb appeal. Sometimes, as you say, it's just paint. Less, more, different, or accenting.

Landscaping definitely makes a difference, too, SouthernBelleInUtah. It's amazing how many houses have none at all.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:21 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,763,819 times
Paint also works wonders. My house isn't listed--yet. But I just painted my door and trim and added new house numbers. I was surprised how much better it looks. It's not like it looked bad prior to that.

I'd also say mulch really helps, too. It hides a multitude of sins and I actually coordinate the color with the color my house. It's cheap and really simple to add.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:24 PM

3,513 posts, read 2,140,222 times
The place where all buyers get a good look at the house close up is the front door area, because the realtor is often fumbling with keys, etc. So you are standing there, looking around, taking everything in. The atmosphere of this small area is something Sellers often forget when sprucing up for selling.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:43 PM

21,128 posts, read 31,734,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
The place where all buyers get a good look at the house close up is the front door area, because the realtor is often fumbling with keys, etc. So you are standing there, looking around, taking everything in. The atmosphere of this small area is something Sellers often forget when sprucing up for selling.

Agree, and what it comes down to is almost subliminal. In my mind, I'm thinking, "these people want to sell this house, they should be doing everything in their power to put their best foot forward".
If they aren't, I'm thinking one of two things
-They couldn't be bothered with any upkeep on this house, so what might I find weeks or months after moving in.
-They can't afford to make it look good, so again....what has been left to go that I might find out about weeks or months after moving in AND they may HAVE to move so I can get the best deal possible.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:12 PM

182 posts, read 210,719 times
I love gardening but as I'm growing older I find that I like houses with simple gardens that I would be able to maintain. Although I adore looking at complex and busy yards I don't want to buy one.

I found a really nice house online but every square inch of it was planted with flowers and shrubs and as much as I liked the inside of the home-I knew the upkeep of that yard would be a full time job and that's not what you want to do in Florida.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:59 PM

11,531 posts, read 13,047,151 times
To me, it's not about what could easily be changed, but if the sellers don't care enough about curb appeal, what else don't they care about? If it's just cosmetically not appealing, that's not very important, but if the trees are overgrown, and the hedges need cutting and it hasn't been painted in years, those things say more. Maybe more serious things are lurking beneath the surface. A property that isn't kept up isn't worth looking at.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 937,663 times
When we were shopping, I looked at Google street view before even doing a drive by, then an actual drive by for sure before ever deciding whether to set up a viewing. I wasn't particularly concerned about the 'curb appeal' of something we were looking at because that can be fixed... but I WAS concerned about the neighborhood over all.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:46 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,310,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
When we were shopping, I looked at Google street view before even doing a drive by, then an actual drive by for sure before ever deciding whether to set up a viewing. I wasn't particularly concerned about the 'curb appeal' of something we were looking at because that can be fixed... but I WAS concerned about the neighborhood over all.
Yes !

I can fix the curb appeal on the house I'm buying but if the house next to me has a curb appeal that is an eyesore, then no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate