Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:50 AM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times

Advertisements

I'm helping someone post a home on Zillow, where do you put the price down without using their thoughts?
We know very successful realtors who have walked it and given prices that are much higher then Zillow's thoughts when this market area is super hot, with most homes selling in one day. I've never posted in Zillow before and I can't find where to put asking price? Thank you in advance if anyone can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 PM

I figured it out, had to do it on the website, not on app.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Come back and let us know when your friends have given up. I'm sure this group can provide excellent advice about hiring a good realtor who can actually get the job done.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:12 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I'm helping someone post a home on Zillow, where do you put the price down without using their thoughts?
We know very successful realtors who have walked it and given prices that are much higher then Zillow's thoughts when this market area is super hot, with most homes selling in one day. I've never posted in Zillow before and I can't find where to put asking price? Thank you in advance if anyone can help!
Wait a second . . . so you brought in a bunch of agents to give you price opinions and then didn't hire any of them? Now you're taking the information they gave you and research they did and are trying to sell it on your own. That's pretty scummy.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:16 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Not really. At least he gave them a chance to wow him. And perhaps he will come back to one of them later. Isn't that the price of doing business? As outsiders, we don't know the circumstances.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:45 PM

165 posts, read 145,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Wait a second . . . so you brought in a bunch of agents to give you price opinions and then didn't hire any of them? Now you're taking the information they gave you and research they did and are trying to sell it on your own. That's pretty scummy.
We've had realtors come look at our house that was up for sale, not because they were showing it to a client, or even previewing for a client, but because they had a similar house they were going to list and wanted to compare.

Each one used up a couple hours of our time because we had to prep the house for a showing that was not actually a showing, and then actually put aside time to show it.

Not really much different from bringing in a realtor to get a value on your property, and then not listing with them. Not every interview is going to result in a listing for an agent.

I think it's all part of playing the game called Real Estate.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Friends niece is a realtor, his live in gf, her best friend is a realtor, and one of our businesses clients just wanted to look through. All were told well in advance it was being sold by owner. They chose to give needed advice. They put up signs (we trade services with a sign company) on Sunday and had 9 couples come look at it in a 2 hr stretch. The realtor friends are also figuring it out for if he does choose to go that route, that he'll pick them. Not a bad option.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Not really. At least he gave them a chance to wow him. And perhaps he will come back to one of them later. Isn't that the price of doing business? As outsiders, we don't know the circumstances.
We don't know the circumstances. I just made my comment based on what was stated in the thread.

Taking someone's hard work and using it for your own gain without compensating them is not tolerated in other industries. There have been countless law suites over such things. Why is it people seem to think it's so acceptable in real estate?

I'm certainly not saying a person has to hire an agent just because they came in and breathed the air in their house. However, if an agent comes in and gives you work that you've deemed "good enough to use yourself" then they have "wowed" you as you put it and you should have hired them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CieloIn20 View Post
We've had realtors come look at our house that was up for sale, not because they were showing it to a client, or even previewing for a client, but because they had a similar house they were going to list and wanted to compare.

Each one used up a couple hours of our time because we had to prep the house for a showing that was not actually a showing, and then actually put aside time to show it.
If those agents weren't up front about the purpose of their visit then that was equally scummy. What was it that my mother always said? Oh yes. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CieloIn20 View Post
Not really much different from bringing in a realtor to get a value on your property, and then not listing with them. Not every interview is going to result in a listing for an agent.

I think it's all part of playing the game called Real Estate.
Again, I'm not saying that just because you invited someone in that you need to hire them. However, if their work was good enough for you to use yourself then they were probably good enough for you to hire them.

People who invite agents in to their home to steal their ideas and their work typically are not looking for to be "wowed." They never had any intention to hire the agent and inviting someone into your home for the sole purpose of stealing from them is scummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Friends niece is a realtor, his live in gf, her best friend is a realtor, and one of our businesses clients just wanted to look through. All were told well in advance it was being sold by owner. They chose to give needed advice. They put up signs (we trade services with a sign company) on Sunday and had 9 couples come look at it in a 2 hr stretch. The realtor friends are also figuring it out for if he does choose to go that route, that he'll pick them. Not a bad option.
Well, that is definitely not scummy as you were up front with everyone about your intentions.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
We don't know the circumstances. I just made my comment based on what was stated in the thread.

Taking someone's hard work and using it for your own gain without compensating them is not tolerated in other industries. There have been countless law suites over such things. Why is it people seem to think it's so acceptable in real estate?
Perhaps people live in different worlds. Some are very liberal with free advice and do their best to only offer it when they have either data or experience to back it up. In the some industries, such as real estate, it is a little like throwing out tidbits into the water to draw in some bigger fish. The free tidbits bring in clients who start to think they can trust you. People in the plant nursery business and furniture sales do it all the time. Same with auto repair--free advice once in a while brings in steady customers. Heck, some experts on C-D offer free and useful advice.

Not blaming you MikePRU for your comment. You were defending your industry. But when you think about it, some of that free advice has probably turned interested parties into clients.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:21 AM

229 posts, read 240,777 times
Interesting how REA's get upset about their time being wasted but sure don't worry about wasting yours. I am so tired of being contacted by them telling me they just sold a house in the neighborhood and would love to show me how they could sell mine. Then when I respond to the phone call I get some nitwit on the phone who knows nothing of the call but will call me tomorrow when she clears it up. That is the last I hear from them.

And the telemarketers they hire who absolutely are telephone pests. They don't think that is wasting my time?

I honestly wish I felt there was one honest REA out there to hire. This business was always a bit on the sleezy side but now seems to be really down in the gutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate