Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 03:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,657 times

Advertisements

This is a hypothetical at the moment, but one I'm curious about. If you wanted to have a small events space (for say things like small concerts, wedding receptions, etc.) what would be the cheapest property type you could buy to convert into one?

My guess would be a warehouse, but it seems zoning laws make that a nightmare. However, I recently found some news articles about people who have done just that so I guess it's not impossible.

Also, for reference I live in suburban Massachusetts currently and am most curious about this question applied to here and other areas like Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:39 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
This reminded me of a recent tragic event in Oakland

Oakland fire prompts nationwide crackdown on artists

You don't want the cheapest space, you want the cheapest space that can be made safe.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:31 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,080 times
I would guess that an abandoned church might be a good choice too. Great acoustics in one large area, reception areas, lots of different sized rooms and generally a kitchen and restrooms for crowds. Plus large parking lots!

And there seem to be lots of churches on the market in some areas of the country.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:52 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Old rustic barns are a popular wedding and party location.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
The cheapest type might be a nice park-like property with a nice view. Add a bathroom and a covered picnic area, and perhaps a gazebo with a nice backdrop for wedding pictures.... and you've got yourself a summer venue.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:30 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
This is a hypothetical at the moment, but one I'm curious about. If you wanted to have a small events space (for say things like small concerts, wedding receptions, etc.) what would be the cheapest property type you could buy to convert into one?
The biggest issue your going to run into is zoning and town regulations. Many properties you would want to convert into something else, cannot be. This is happening with barns right now. Neighbors are very upset the quiet countryside is being turned into loud music party all night barns and is getting them shut down because its not zoned for it.

So whatever you want....... gotta check if its allowed first.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:58 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
The biggest issue your going to run into is zoning and town regulations. Many properties you would want to convert into something else, cannot be. This is happening with barns right now. Neighbors are very upset the quiet countryside is being turned into loud music party all night barns and is getting them shut down because its not zoned for it.

So whatever you want....... gotta check if its allowed first.
Absolutely right! OP needs to remember that his/her clients will need to park someplace too. The space will also have to have a commercial water/sewer system, probably a commercial kitchen, and meet commercial fire requirements. Be prepared for pushback from the neighbors who will foresee big traffic jams and noise all hours of the day and night. It's not just a matter of finding a big empty box.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Old rustic barns are a popular wedding and party location.
Also, really old schools, or homes. Warehouses, I don't know. Just doesn't seem to have the same appeal.
For the best success it also needs to be in a scenic area, with decent views.

Hollywood Schoolhouse

Issaquah, WA - Official Website - Pickering Barn

The Admiral's House - Scenic Seattle Venue

Old 07-12-2017, 01:41 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Some sort of big box store that has been vacated.

The local Walmart moved to another location and left a huge vacant building with an enormous parking lot. That could have been turned into quite a nice event building. Excellent location, easy to find, lots of parking, right off the highway.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:52 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
As others have said, old churches would work well. Another might be an old social hall. (has the local Masonic temple closed, for example?) An old restaurant might be a good option.

I agree with others that converting something like a barn or warehouse might not be a good idea, because they weren't designed to be assembly spaces, and you might get resistance from locals--who you might need support from--for changing the use of a property. Also, any savings you have from buying an old warehouse, would probably be used up doing the renovations needed to bring the space up to code. (if the building is already an assembly use, like a church, you might not need to do as many renovations.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate