Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,947 times

Advertisements

Let's say I'm at work, and the buyers agent brings in a family to show my house (via lockbox) and someone steals or breaks something? Who is responsible? The agent? The (potential) buyer? Or am I stuck with the damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
I have never seen this happen. I'm sure it does though, so I always advise my sellers to put away/hide anything that is valuable.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
About 6 years ago when we sold our first home I could not believe the things we would come home to after an agent showing our home. A few left the back door unlocked. We once came home and found the showing agent sitting in the car with the couple's children while they were free to go through our home unaccompanied. It was not our listing agents fault but I couldn't believe the unprofessionalism of some agents. I think one time something small was broken or damaged but we just chalked it up to the expense of selling a home. I'm sure there are worse stories than mine.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Most listing agreements have the "hold harmless" clause in them for just such events. Meaning that you as the seller are taking the risk for your property and you are releasing the agents from any repercussions.

Having said that, if I found out an agent was letting in buyers unaccompanied, I would be all over that agent, and it would not be nice. I think if you are concerned about buyer's agents, you can ask your listing agent to be present for the showing. In higher end homes showings are done this way, as well as for some elderly clients who may be wary of strangers. I know in some cities like NYC, I think both agents are present for showings as well as for downtown Chicago.

I have never had anything broken or stolen, but like MikiJayne I tell sellers to pack and store all valuables. I have had one agent leave a condo completely unlocked and the single woman who arrived home was understandably upset. The other agent received a call from me, as did her principal broker.

Open houses are the biggest time for thefts out here since most agents just let people randomly walk all over the house unattended. I've heard of nice silverware being stolen as well as medication (a big one for drug dealers).

If it is a concern for you ask your listing agent to be present for showings. It makes it harder to show since you have to coordinate schedules so that is a downside.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:36 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,424 times
I'm about to sell my house and I have gotten a safety deposit box at my bank. All jewelry, important documents, and other valuables have been removed from my house. I really don't expect anything to happen, but why take a chance when it's so easy to prevent.

What I am actually concerned about is my carpets. I have a doormat outside the front door, and just inside the door as well. I hope people get the hint and wipe their feet. We have red mud here in Georgia and I have light colored carpet. I guess I better put the carpet cleaning company on speed dial!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
I'm about to sell my house and I have gotten a safety deposit box at my bank. All jewelry, important documents, and other valuables have been removed from my house. I really don't expect anything to happen, but why take a chance when it's so easy to prevent.

What I am actually concerned about is my carpets. I have a doormat outside the front door, and just inside the door as well. I hope people get the hint and wipe their feet. We have red mud here in Georgia and I have light colored carpet. I guess I better put the carpet cleaning company on speed dial!
You can buy a bunch of these little plastic booties to fit over the shoes. Place then just inside the entrance. Have a nice sign printed and put on the door "PLEASE USE THE FOOTIES OVER YOUR SHOES", or something to that effect. Have your realtor put that statement in the mls remarks so all agents will be aware of the request.

Another idea is to request that shoes be removed. You can still provide those footies in case they want to cover their socks or stockings.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Quote:
Make all visitors take off their shoes at the front door, and have disposable foot "booties" available for guests to wear. That should do the trick.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:

I agree with Captain Bill. Just make a little sign by the front door requesting that shoes be removed or to use the little blue booties. We see them all the time and it is totally normal.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

In addition to the booties (for sale at our local Board of Realtors, by the way), I go one extra step and have a bench or chair right by the sign so that people can SIT DOWN to take off their shoes/put on the booties. It tends to encourage compliance of they're not having to balance on one foot and then the other or sit on the floor!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,613 times
Wow I am so glad this was asked about. I thought I was the only one wary of "my stuff". Even outside the valuables aspect. I worry about the regular items too. As far as the carpets go, I hadn't even thought of it!!! Where can you buy these booties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate