Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,282,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
B/C you approved the showing. If it was inconvenient for you, you could have said no. I've never heard of a showing being for a particular amount of time. Maybe they are in your part of the country. My experience, in 3 different states has always been a 2 hour window & you can show up anytime within the 2 hrs & stay as long as you want.
I think I've mostly seen a 2-hour window as well, but I was always under the impression you should be gone by the end of that window. What if another potential buyer has an appointment for the time beginning when that 2 hours ends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,704,901 times
Length of a viewing is going to vary on a lot of things- size of the house, number of houses you are viewing that day, individual decisiveness, etc... I looked at a lot of condos that were in the 800 square foot range. 2 hour appointments would be ludicrous.

Even with a very large house, I would never need a ton of time, much less hours. With both of my houses, I decided in the threshold.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:36 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,092,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Length of a viewing is going to vary on a lot of things- size of the house, number of houses you are viewing that day, individual decisiveness, etc... I looked at a lot of condos that were in the 800 square foot range. 2 hour appointments would be ludicrous.

Even with a very large house, I would never need a ton of time, much less hours. With both of my houses, I decided in the threshold.
No one is saying that it's common to stay at one house for two full hours, just that appointments are based on a window in case they are running a little later than anticipated especially if they are looking at more than one house. So if an appointment is set for 6 to 8, it's possible they might not get there until 7:30 or even later, I always stayed away for more than the two hours but still walked in on buyers a couple of times. It was for a townhouse that didn't have parking directly in front so no way to see someone was there.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:18 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,704,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No one is saying that it's common to stay at one house for two full hours, just that appointments are based on a window in case they are running a little later than anticipated especially if they are looking at more than one house. So if an appointment is set for 6 to 8, it's possible they might not get there until 7:30 or even later, I always stayed away for more than the two hours but still walked in on buyers a couple of times. It was for a townhouse that didn't have parking directly in front so no way to see someone was there.
I know how scheduling windows work. My point- either a buyer and/or their realtor realtor has serious time issues if they schedule a 2 hour window to look at an 800 square foot condo.

I looked at 5 condos in one day, in two different communities. They were scheduled in 45 minute blocks, with start times staggered 15 minutes apart.

I'm not going to inconvenience someone by removing them from their home for two hours to look at what equates to an apartment. Anyone who does is a jerk.

If we are talking 3000+ square foot homes, then a two hour window may be more appropriate. There is more to look at and consider. So if multiple viewing windows are staggered, there is a higher probability of needing the extra time.
If you are only viewing the one home and request a 2 hour window, you are again being a jerk unless you are viewing a mansion. An hour should suffice with most homes. You just have to be on time like a responsible adult.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:04 AM

10,931 posts, read 21,895,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Wow. That's intense. But based on some of the reactions to this topic I can understand that might happen. I sometimes think good Realtors are misunderstood. Many have posited that they do very little but when you consider how people respond to selling a house their role really takes on new facets.
Yes, it's why some agents don't provide feedback anymore.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM

10,105 posts, read 19,337,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Houses are intimate places - our refuge from the outside world, an expression of our personalities, and the stage where many of us live the most important moments of our lives (marriage, babies, death, etc). They're imbued will all sorts of memories and feelings and all manner of pride and baggage.

Yes, none of this matters when it comes time to sell, because you're selling a physical asset and not your memories or preferences or feelings. That's the logical side of it. But humans aren't logical creatures and it is difficult to override the initial impulses of sensitivity to remember that.

Be gracious with your fellow humans, many have spent years in a place and detaching themselves emotionally from their walls and all it represents to them is not easy, especially if they're older or have been there for a long time.
My Grandfather built his own home---that is, with his own hands! It was not uncommon back in those days---1920's. He did NOT us a pre-fab kit, like many did, because he saw too many problems with the kits not having enough materials, etc. So, he really did build it himself. Of course, he was emotionally attached! One day, someone offered to buy it---it was not for sale, just caught someone's eye. They offered 200K. Grandpa thought they meant $200 He all but threw the guy off the porch He said the nails cost more than that! Then, he found out they meant $200,000. Oh, well, he wasn't looking to sell, anyways. Then he wondered if they were from the tax assessor! He never sold, he lived there the rest of his life, but it was nice to know someone thought it was worth that

Yes, emotions do attach themselves to a house!

Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,793,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think I've mostly seen a 2-hour window as well, but I was always under the impression you should be gone by the end of that window. What if another potential buyer has an appointment for the time beginning when that 2 hours ends?
When we put our house on the market, it was in a desirable area at a desirable price. None of the showings that were scheduled were more than 1 1/2 hours, many were 1 hour. Because of how desirable that price range and location was, there were several overlapping showings scheduled for the first 3-4 days it was on the market (we accepted an over asking offer the first full day on the market). I thought that overlapping showing might be awkward, too, but the agents were trying to get their clients in fast because of how quickly houses were selling in my area.

Last edited by goldenlove; 07-16-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 AM

1,020 posts, read 804,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I've never been under that impression. But like many things real estate, it could vary in different parts of the country. I've always understood it to mean that you need to get there before the end of the window.

I've been in houses on several occasions when others were looking at it too. Both on the Buyer & Seller side. It's a good thing from the seller's POV...helps create urgency which is important in a sale.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:05 PM

I don't believe that a buyer can do no wrong. Of course they can, stealing, damaging property & plenty of other things are wrong. Egregious things like leaving doors or windows open or unlocked are of course, wrong. Unfortunately, you do have to be prepared for them happening. I would never leave pets at home during a showing for that (& other reasons). I would never let a pet out in the yard after a showing, without checking all my gates first, etc.

I just believe that minor annoyances come with the territory. Unfortunately.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
If we are talking 3000+ square foot homes, then a two hour window may be more appropriate. There is more to look at and consider. So if multiple viewing windows are staggered, there is a higher probability of needing the extra time.
If you are only viewing the one home and request a 2 hour window, you are again being a jerk unless you are viewing a mansion. An hour should suffice with most homes. You just have to be on time like a responsible adult.

Definitely the size of property would make a difference. I haven't seen a home under 4K sq feet since I was in my 20's, nor do I consider a 4K sq foot house a "mansion". That's a normal suburban house to me. So, yes, I was talking about large single family homes, not condos or apartments or small houses. I also find an hour to be plenty to tour most homes, even in the 4-6K sq foot range. The 1 1/2-2 hour showings are the exception, not the rule. Usually the good exception, meaning we're interested :-)

But as I buyer, I've never "requested" any specific window, 2 hours is just the standard that the realtor sets up. It's not any kind of special request. It may well be different for condos or apartments. That would make sense. But it's not a buyer request in my experience, it's just how realtors schedule, b/c often you have a full day or 1/2 day of viewings & there are so many variables that it's impossible to know exactly what time you'll arrive. My experience is based on large suburban homes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate