Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 06:33 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I grew up in no fence land...and as kids we respected the property line. It took our parents a few times to let us know the boundary and it stuck. Our dog also stayed in our yard, too. Neighbors whose dogs didn't stay in the yards were let out in a dog run or on a tether.

Moved here, and we have fences.

I never really thought about it. No real preference. I don't sunbathe, nude or otherwise.
I live in no fence land now. The kids know exactly where the property line is, but it's nice that they can cross the neighbors' yard to get to their friends house. The neighbors' are OK with it. It helps that everybody has at least 0.5 ac lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you don't like fences/walls, I assume you like having random neighborhood dogs s****ing and p***ing on your grass and digging up your vegetables.

You like nosy neighbors questioning every project you do in your yard.

You like socially inappropriate neighbors inviting themselves to your family functions and private events.

You like creepy neighbors checking out your teenaged daughters playing in the sprinkler with their friends.

You like neighborhood kids cutting across your yard on , foot, on bike, on ATVs.

You like transients stashing smelly backpacks and sleeping bags in your bushes.

You like legal liability if any of the above people injures themselves while trespassing on your private property.

You are more tolerant than me.
You must live in a terrible neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"6-10 ft tall "..................?
It depends on the neighborhood. You can find homes with 6ft + walls especially expensive homes or older build.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I was the first person on my street to get a fence even THOUGH I made sure it was a neighborhood that allowed fences. HOA and all that crap.

I wanted to get a nice wrought iron fence but . . NO the HOA made me get a cedar one. Whatever.

I have a yorkie and a Westie and we need a fence. Electric fences don't keep big dogs OUT of the yard.

Anyhoo, my neighbors initially went insane. I even brought in from my property line to shut everyone up. Do they really want my yorkie running in their yard and pooping?

Long story short - you would have thought I was building a spaceship in my yard. Now, almost everyone has one as new folks moved in with little kids and dogs.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I have a privacy fence in back nothing on front side, perfect .

Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
I love fences for the pets, kids and privacy. I also had them in all the neighborhoods we lived in out west in CA & NM. In the midwest, it was optional. We have a large fenced in yard now in SC, surrounded by woods, very private. Keeps the deer from jumping in the pool. So far.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have a privacy fence in back nothing on front side, perfect .
our small town forbids any front lawn fences.

No fence can extend beyond the front corners of your house

I doubt we are alone.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
What's the problem with not getting fence? They can cost a crap load of money! We just got a quote for a PVC 6ft and it was going to be $11K! SO as much as I want one I won't be getting it this year!

Someone who is renting out a house to a tenant is probably not going to pay to have a fence put in.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
What's the problem with not getting fence? They can cost a crap load of money! We just got a quote for a PVC 6ft and it was going to be $11K! SO as much as I want one I won't be getting it this year!

Someone who is renting out a house to a tenant is probably not going to pay to have a fence put in.

The OP can't seem to grasp that.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 PM

513 posts, read 499,332 times
For all the people that keep saying the OP has a lot of nerve to demand a fence, it sounds like she is just surprised that very few rentals have a fence. I doubt she thinks that she can demand one be built. Even if she does, you have already made your point multiple times.

Now back to the topic...

I grew up in a place that mostly didn't have fences. It was considered trashy to have a front yard fence, only the poor did that. I never understood why people didn't like fences. Now in the PNW - mostly fences, and I have to say I prefer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate