Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:11 PM

3,476 posts, read 2,628,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
A prison would be envious.
Ha, or Jurassic Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 03:28 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,413,498 times
You realize that there are many homes in Texas that do not have rear entry garages with alleys, just sayin'...because you mentioned that in Texas homes have alleys. We have a swing side entry garages, no alleys.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:38 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,333,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I built my fence so that even a second floor neighbor can’t see my pool. Here in Texas most homes have a privacy fence in the backyard by the alley. The cost for a nice cedar fence is usually between $6K and $8K. This is my fence.
I love your fence. I had a terrible time finding a house with an HOA that would even allow a 6ft fence after I recently moved to the Midwest from Arizona. I was used to masonry walls at least 6ft tall surrounding every house, in some cities it was even a code requirement for new houses to be built with a wall or fence. I get to the Midwest and was taken aback when I was told that many HOAs ban fences or restrict them to a ridiculous 4ft height. I still can't figure out why people care so little about privacy here. I was eventually able to find a house without any fence restrictions and built an 8ft tall block wall fence just like you would find in Arizona. I had to call the cops on a neighbor that was screaming at the people installing the fence.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:02 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,769,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
A "polite" fence to keep pets and young ones in the yard is fine. Anything over 6ft looks tacky and mainly installed by insecure people.
Wow. Just wow.

I can't afford taller than a 6' fence, but if I could, I would certainly have one. I'm VERY secure, and I could not care less if you think it looks "tacky". It keeps me from having to see you're actually-tacky garden gnomes and flamingos, LOL!

Seriously. Good fences make good neighbors - and the taller, the better. Heck, Dumbf wants to build a 20' fence all along the Mexican border - how tacky is that?

Pretty soon he'll need to build another along the Canadian border as well - not to keep Canadians out (they're way to smart to worsen their situation by coming down here) - but to keep Americans IN.

But seriously. Taller fences have additional problems, such as needing deeper postholes and more stabilization. They are more susceptible to wind damage. They can cause some real damage to people and property if they fall down.

Going much over 6' moves you out of mere fencing into some rather more complicated construction requirements. That's the real reason most fences are relegated to 6' or less. You CAN put up taller fences, but you need permits and inspections.

It has nothing to do with looking "tacky" or any alleged insecurity of the property owner who desires to make sure the neighbors Mind Their Own Business.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,212,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I'd like to fence my yard--but I'm not ready to shell out the money for over 1/2 mile of fencing. And I have a relatively small yard...but it is big enough for some goats, which would need a good fence. Wandering "kids" of another sort, but it's much harder to talk some sense into them.
Wow, half mile of fencing is a 10 acre lot. You actually call that "relatively small" back in Michigan huh?

Californians aren't used to that at all. Most folks here live in suburban areas where lots are all under 1/3 acre...you don't really get a bigger lot except on "luxury" property, or if you move out to the sticks.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:06 AM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Wow, half mile of fencing is a 10 acre lot. You actually call that "relatively small" back in Michigan huh?

Californians aren't used to that at all. Most folks here live in suburban areas where lots are all under 1/3 acre...you don't really get a bigger lot except on "luxury" property, or if you move out to the sticks.
You'd be right on if my lot were square--but it's not. In the extreme, I know of a lot with over 1 mile of perimeter, yet it's less than 3 acres. I'm somewhere in between.

And, yes, it is "relatively small" when compared to the parcel sizes around me. I'd much rather own 40+ acres.

Thanks for doing the math.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:25 AM

4,751 posts, read 3,192,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You are correct, we all have rear entry garages, only the trash, recycling and utility trucks use the alley. I had my house built in 1983, this fence is now 15 years old and has been stained 3 times, last time two months ago. The house is one level, 3200 sf plus garage.

This picture was taken 2 hours ago, and the fence still looks great and straight.

This is what people that drive thru the neighborhood see, excuse the tacky walkway being built last year. LOL
That's a beautiful walkway! And a beautiful fence. This has been an enlightening thread... never realized so many people were such fence haters!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:05 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,273,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My borough is larger than the state of West Virginia and I'd be surprised if we hade five miles of sidewalk in the entire borough. Virtually no neighborhood has sidewalks. Not the upscale neighborhood I used to live in or the neighborhood I live in now, which is within the city limits. A lot of places don't have sidewalks. And neither of my houses had/have a fenced yard.
I guess you don't need sidewalks if everyone can just walk in the back yard because no one has a fence.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,642,943 times
The walkway is lovely but the fence is still tacky...tacky...

Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM

3,476 posts, read 2,628,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The walkway is lovely but the fence is still tacky...tacky...
I know, however, I’m not the one that started this fence trend here in N. Texas. Most of it is directed by the city and code if you have a pool. Inspection during construction is rigorous, post must be 4 foot in concrete, pressure treated wood near ground and constructed that no child can climb.

Last edited by txfriend; 07-21-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate