Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:44 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,824 times

Advertisements

Well, fences are not inexpensive. I can see not putting one in unless you need it.

We just put in a six-foot privacy fence and I love it. But we have a dog and we are planning on getting a pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 12:46 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
A "polite" fence to keep pets and young ones in the yard is fine. Anything over 6ft looks tacky and mainly installed by insecure people.
Due to my careers, I have lived in Europe, Africa and the middle east in varied places, often with 7'-10' walls, not fences.

I loved it.

Many of us value privacy quite highly, and even more so if you do not win the "neighbor lottery" in areas that homes are very near each other.

I'm not insecure, I'm private.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:47 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Go to Phoenix AZ. Brick walls around nearly every backyard. Took us awhile to get used to not having one - and now we have to walk the dog instead of the doggie door. Frankly, I'm good with no fence at all.
In the southwest it is common to have 4-6 high feet cinderblock walls, often covered with stucco, enclosing the backyard. Some with adobe style homes will even enclose part of their front yard and front porch to make a private patio. I remember a friend's mother visiting from Michigan commented that all those walls seemed "very unfriendly" and not "neighborly."

My philosophy is "good fences make good neighbors." Also how do you keep your pets from going on other people's property to do their business if there are no fences? Electric fences?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:50 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That seems to be true in SoCal. Everyone had a privacy fence since my childhood. When we'd go visit our relatives in MN, I was amazed to see the unfenced huge, rolling lawns extending from one house to another, and so on down the block. I'd never seen that before. It looked terrific, but what about the kids playing, the pets, the nude sun-bathing?
I too grew up in MN, and that is the norm. But it comes with problems also, as you noted.

I rented a rural home in Maryland, and was threatened with a lawsuit by the mother of a teenage boy that was using my backyard as a shortcut, and was bitten by my dog when the kid kicked her for barking at him when he came in my backyard. The dog stayed in the yard because I installed an "invisible fence", but that didnt keep the kid out.

I was able to avoid the lawsuit only because I had a good CCTV system that covered my backyard.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Here, where the population peeked in the 50s/60s, most of the housing stock is from that time and they typically have chain link fences. Sometimes you will find where someone installed a newer privacy fence, but not often.
Newer neighborhoods will either have a privacy fence or no fence at all.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Almost every yard has a fence here.
And almost every fence has a yard here.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Due to my careers, I have lived in Europe, Africa and the middle east in varied places, often with 7'-10' walls, not fences.

I loved it.

Many of us value privacy quite highly, and even more so if you do not win the "neighbor lottery" in areas that homes are very near each other.

I'm not insecure, I'm private.
Yes!! It's not just about security. It's about privacy. What if you want to throw some steaks on the BBQ or just relax on a lounge chair out back. Must you share this with all your neighbors?

For those of you that have children, how do you keep tabs on your kids when they are playing out in the "yard?" They could wander off anywhere.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
I greatly dislike my new neighbors and their untrained dogs that bark at everything. I'm looking into what privacy fences code allows.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
In the southwest it is common to have 4-6 high feet cinderblock walls, often covered with stucco, enclosing the backyard. Some with adobe style homes will even enclose part of their front yard and front porch to make a private patio. I remember a friend's mother visiting from Michigan commented that all those walls seemed "very unfriendly" and not "neighborly."

My philosophy is "good fences make good neighbors." Also how do you keep your pets from going on other people's property to do their business if there are no fences? Electric fences?
I must admit that in some ways I agree with your friend's mother. \ the walls made it difficult to meet neighbors. Since we've moved to an area with no fences (or the HOA required metal fences 3.5 feet tall), we've had a much better relationship and friendship with our neighbors. Of course, now that we walk the dog instead of using a doggie door, that helps.

We keep our pets fron going on other property with a leash. Electric fences may keep SOME dogs in, but the won't keep any other dog or critter out. I called them useless fences.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:06 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes!! It's not just about security. It's about privacy. What if you want to throw some steaks on the BBQ or just relax on a lounge chair out back. Must you share this with all your neighbors?
Yeah. We wave, say hello, and ask them over for a glass of wine. That NEVER happened when we lived behind those cement block walls.

I will admit, I liked it better when we had walls for our hot tub. Now it's in our screened in patio and during the day, we have to wear bathing suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate