Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times

Advertisements

Here is my experience with putting up a fence this year

Long story short: Neighbors go bonkers when they see a fence going up

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...rrational.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I guess it depends. Where I grew up, fences are rare. The yards/lots are large-ish, but not estates by any stretch. About 1/3 to 1/2 acre maybe. No one within several blocks has a fence. There are typically shrubbery/bush barriers between the two back yards, but not the side yards.

We never really noticed a lack of privacy? If we wanted to have a glass of wine and grill out on the back porch we did it. If a neighbor came out we'd wave "hihowareya" but never felt the need to invite them, and they didn't invite themselves. Some neighbors had dogs with electric fences, most of us used a tether. I can't think of any neglected dogs in the neighborhood, but then again its a wealthy enough area that it isn't a big deal.

Thinking of my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents, the ones that lived closer to the city on smaller lots did have fences, but they weren't privacy fences. Just iron ones to keep the dogs in.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 AM

344 posts, read 336,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
They can be expensive - several thousand dollars, depending on the size of the yard.
Easily. If you want decent fencing, you can push 10k depending on lawn size before you know it.

Also, it's important to note unless you have specialized tools and a lot of strong friends, fencing isn't a super easy DIY job. I've done it before. It's a metric f-ton of hard work, and it never looks as good as professionally done fencing.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Haha, you think a landlord is going to drop 5k+ to build a fence to rent you the property? Get over yourself. You want one so bad build it yourself. You're a freaking tenant! You want a fence buy a home then build your fence. I can't believe you have the audacity to expect a landlord to build a fence for you to rent their home.

Guess what cupcake-they don't need you. There are plenty of good and less demanding renters out there.
What?? Of course not. I'll just keep passing on their listings . They don't need me and I don't need them and their unfenced houses.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I need a fenced or walled in back yard. Who the heck wants animals or people roaming around your property?
I rather like when the bunnies, squirrels and very occasional deer roam around in my backyard. Nobody has EVER roamed around unless they were invited or part of the landscaping crew that comes with our HOA fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Well, you usually have to pull a permit. Folks can raise a stink.

The house two houses down from me just went under contract. There are zero fences either direction on the lake I'm on. When the new folks move in, we will all be politely mentioning the lack of fencing since it spoils the lake views. If you've got pets, invisible fencing is cheaper and much less visible, amiright?
I'm sympathetic with you not wanting your Lakeview destroyed, and this is the reason many communities with those kinds of views prohibit fences 9or limit them to short, wrought iron 'view fences'.

But an electric fence is not a solution for a caring dog owner. Many dogs have a strong prey drive and will go right thru the thing if they see something. And those fences MAY keep a dog in, but will not stop another dog or animal from entering. They are essentially useless, except as a money maker to those companies who sell them.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-17-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Up in Maine if you fence out the hunters you might as well move out.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Up in Maine if you fence out the hunters you might as well move out.
So no deer fencing there?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
You know what they say - "Good fences make good neighbors."

I've lived in places with fences and those without, and I much prefer a well-maintained, attractive fence any day.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've been going through listings for weeks now and passing over so many. I refuse to believe that a fence is asking for too much. Don't get me started on garages without garage door openers.
May need to increase your rental budget?

Pragmatically, why should a landlord go to the expense of putting in a fence when there are probably other people who will rent it without the fence?

Old 07-17-2017, 11:22 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Right now, I'm looking for a house to rent. Eventually, I will be looking to buy a house.

Can someone tell me what's the deal with houses not having fences or fenced in yards? Am I the only one that appreciates privacy and boundaries?

By the way, I mean real, 6-10 foot privacy fences. Not 4 ft high 2 bar fences (this isn't the country).

So what's the problem with putting in a fence?
Only look at renting houses that have fences.

If I were a landlord , your attitude would quickly cause me to label you a " headache".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate