Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
if the OP insists on privacy fences "6-10ft " she will be searching a long time for a rental house.

I doubt there is a landlord anywhere who will erect a 6-10 ft privacy fence just to attract/please a tenant!

This of course depends on where you live. Almost every property in my city has a fence or block wall, thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have seen pictures of homes without fences and they look creepy to me. Why would anyone want the neighbors looking in on a back yard barBQ or when you are sitting in the hot tub. What about style of plants. My wife and I have different kinds of palm trees. The neighbor next to us has these big overgrown trees that I end up having to trim because the branches get into my yard. The people behind us have just grass in the back yard. The fence though is what makes our yard, only our yard.

A backyard to me is a private oasis where I can enjoy my time alone or with my wife and or kids. My wife and I love to sit around the fire pit with the cool ocean breeze enjoying our time together. I want my own space where I can get away from other people, or invite them in and have a private party.

In our area the code states that the fence in the back and along the sides of the home can be no higher than 6 feet tall. If you live on the corner house then you can increase that to 7 feet on the street side. You can build the fence at the 6 feet level towards the front of the lot up to the edge of either your home or the home of your next door neighbor. For example, if the home next to you continues past your home another 10 feet then you can build the 6 foot fence all the way to the end of that 10 foot length. From there the fence has to be 42" or shorter on the sides and front of the lot. The sides at the 42" lever can be closed in. On the front of the house 50% of the fence area has to be open. Many people fill the open areas with wrought iron fencing. Then again I am talking a block wall, concrete wall fence, stone fence, or brick fence. Most people around here, when they upgrade from a wood fence, opt for a block wall and then include either brick or river rock decor on the fence.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I was born and raised in New England: "Good fences make good neighbors" (Robert Frost).

Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
This of course depends on where you live. Almost every property in my city has a fence or block wall, thank goodness.
Here to. I don't know of a house without a fence where I live. In Surprise Arizona where my parents live every home built has a block wall fence already there, no upgrade needed. Newer places in my area seem to opt for vinyl fencing and the block wall is an upgrade. Then again many of the newer HOA places around here seem to only install the vinyl fencing.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Right now, I'm looking for a house to rent. Eventually, I will be looking to buy a house.

Can someone tell me what's the deal with houses not having fences or fenced in yards? Am I the only one that appreciates privacy and boundaries?

By the way, I mean real, 6-10 foot privacy fences. Not 4 ft high 2 bar fences (this isn't the country).

So what's the problem with putting in a fence?
Primarily it is the expense and upkeep. Fences are not cheap, not the materials nor the labor. And, I think sometimes people who rent may not do the ongoing maintenance and such, so folks hesitate to put new fences up around rental homes.

If you rent, shop for rental properties that have fenced yards.

If it is simply privacy on a patio check out the do it yourself websites for patio fences that you can make yourself.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post

"6-10 ft tall "..................?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:33 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here to. I don't know of a house without a fence where I live. In Surprise Arizona where my parents live every home built has a block wall fence already there, no upgrade needed. Newer places in my area seem to opt for vinyl fencing and the block wall is an upgrade. Then again many of the newer HOA places around here seem to only install the vinyl fencing.

"6ft-10ft tall ".............?

THAT is what the OP was demanding !

Old 07-17-2017, 01:44 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you don't like fences/walls, I assume you like having random neighborhood dogs s****ing and p***ing on your grass and digging up your vegetables.

You like nosy neighbors questioning every project you do in your yard.

You like socially inappropriate neighbors inviting themselves to your family functions and private events.

You like creepy neighbors checking out your teenaged daughters playing in the sprinkler with their friends.

You like neighborhood kids cutting across your yard on , foot, on bike, on ATVs.

You like transients stashing smelly backpacks and sleeping bags in your bushes.

You like legal liability if any of the above people injures themselves while trespassing on your private property.

You are more tolerant than me.
You aren't really liable unless you have an attractive nuisance (rope swing, etc...)

Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Seems to me that solid fences create cubicals and who wants to live in a box? We have privacy hedges between some of the houses' back yards around here but not as much in the front yards. There's some wire fencing of various sorts, but very few if any walls. Well, other than rock walls and those are mostly to stabilize the hillside, not to keep folks out - or in.

In this new neighborhood nobody minds the dogs if they're friendly dogs. It's a black lab, a chihuahua and a border collie so they're all pretty friendly dogs. The neighbor's dog comes over, she's a sweet black lab. The other neighbor's chihuahua visits as well. There's a few chickens wandering around the neighborhood as well as cats. Occasionally, there's roosters that wander through, those usually vanish after awhile so someone is keeping the chicken population to hens only which is a good thing. Occasional kids wander around but mostly they're just going to their friends' house and not playing in the area.

Folks pretty much respect each other's areas even without the fences. Maybe with all the walls and fences folks just haven't had to learn how to get along with each other? When we're outside, we will see the neighbors if they're outside and there's usually a wave or a short chat. It keeps things friendly and if we have any issues of any type, we can work it out without folks getting grumpy enough to call in police or anything. How can you get along with people you never see or chat with?

At our last house, our neighbor was afraid of dogs so we fenced in the back yard to keep the dog from visiting the neighbor. After we'd been there for awhile, the neighbor became friendly with the dog so the dog was allowed out more but she mostly stayed in the back yard since it had been fenced. I find it interesting that when the dogs are loose and able to wander off if they want to, they stick closer to home than they do when they're fenced in, at least with our dog. When she was kept contained in the back yard, she'd wander much further away investigating things when she got out. Now, with no fence, she stays very close to the house.

This is Hawaii, though, perhaps it's different here.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"6ft-10ft tall ".............?

THAT is what the OP was demanding !
I'm not demanding anything. Either you have it or you don't. There will be more listings posted tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate