U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 AM

653 posts, read 682,229 times

Advertisements

San Diego has a pretty strong real estate market. Where was your offer in relation to the list price? How many other properties have you looked at?

Many of the things you listed, such as the condition of the fridge and windows screens etc, would have been things that are obvious without an inspection and sound like they were, or should have been, priced into your offer. To me, an inspection is really to identify things you couldn't reasonably be expected to see or uncover on your own when you are considering making an offer on a property.

Have you asked the seller about what caused the water damage? Did they say anything in the disclosures? If the water flow, tiles and potential water damage to the floor are an issue, you need to get someone in during the remainder of the inspection period to look further and give you a realistic idea of the cost of repair, otherwise you are just guessing when it comes to asking for credits.

Re the low flow, did you look inside the shower head? Many rental properties in CA have flow restrictors in the showers to reduce water usage.

Re the furnace, yes, probably needs replacing at some point, but this is San Diego we're talking about. If it's not damaging your health through emissions of some sort, is it really that big a deal that it's not very efficient?

I'm missing the point re the fuse box. Is the issue that the paint is flammable? Isn't removing the paint a pretty straightforward and inexpensive fix for that?

If this were me, I'd probably be asking for $6,000 in credits for water heater and furnace (because you would only know about those issues after an inspection), plus whatever results from the further plumbing/bathroom inspection should there be a need for repairs beyond replacing the tiles. The rest of it really should have been reflected in your offer. I definitely would not want the owner to repair anything as you have no control over the quality of repairs and, as someone else said, both the water heater and furnace could last quite a lot longer than you think.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 AM

8,149 posts, read 20,008,506 times
My initial reaction, especially if you are a first time buyer, would be to tell you to walk away. If your market is hot, there's someone else, right behind you willing to purchase the property as is. Chances are the owner is aware of the issues you bring up and that was built into arriving at list price. This includes the things home inspectors miss. A couple of times times a year I get calls from my closed, first time buyers where they requesting advice for for major repairs. On a condo, I would hope it's limited, but wish in one hand. I am not sure you will get your pound of flesh on this one, but you can try.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 AM

6,109 posts, read 8,416,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmea View Post
Overall, i had budgeted ~15k for all the small things in the house, including the 1-2 windows, the new flooring, and the new kitchen cabinets. My offer reflects this amount and it is 15k less than a similar unit with a modern kitchen and good flooring is going for. Now i have budgeted another 10k for the things you have mentioned above which sounds about right, depending on how much the bathrooms can cost me.
I think this is the key. People are getting caught up in the $25K number, when it seems like you were already figuring you would need to put in $15K.

Based on the fact that you said this unit is $15K less than similar units in better condition, you probably shouldn't get any less than $10K for the repairs or else you'd be better off buying one of the other units. However, I wouldn't be surprised if in particularthe seller does not give a credit for a water heater and furnace that still works.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:50 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,140,884 times
Don't worry about what is 'reasonable'. This is negotiation which is no different from price negotiation, i.e. 'reasonable' means what the market bears. If this is a hot property other than the condition and there are many other buyers to take your place then the seller would be crazy to agree to all kinds of credits, etc. But if you've offered a market price for the home and it's in need of all kinds of repairs, then he'd be better off being flexible with you. Sometimes people worry too much about being 'reasonable' or 'fair'. The most important thing is to be clear and consistent with your offer and what you are asking for. For example, sometimes buyers will make low offers based on the condition and then try to get more money off when they 'discover' from the inspection that the condition is poor. This is not consistent and can create perceptions of being 'unreasonable'. Nothing wrong with driving a hard bargain but just do it in the right way.

Water damage and/or bad plumbing is a big worry. Someone mentioned a flow restrictor in the shower head and I would also add to that the possibility that the shower head is gunked up with scale and/or sediment. This only takes a few minutes to clean if this is the case. But if it's something more sinister, who knows what the cost could be.

Loose tiles are usually caused by bad grouting between tiles and/or broken sealant between the tub or shower tray and tiles. Small holes in grout (which is not really very waterproof even if intact) slowly causes the whole wall to be waterlogged. If cement board is not used, regular drywall will just quickly degrade when it's wet and the tiles won't stick to it. Mold forms and it's a big mess. Often you can't reuse the original loose tiles and it's hard to match new tiles with the original ones causing a need to retile a large area (even so, the water damage usually extends far away from the area of loose tiles). A proper fix is usually expensive, requiring removal of all tiles in the effected area and drywall back to the studs. Proper fix means replacing drywall with cement board and 'tanking' the shower to make it waterproof. The best (but very expensive) fix would be to redo the whole shower assuming that it was not done right to begin with (i.e. no cement board and not 'tanked'). Otherwise, you will forever be chasing the problem around and risking further damage to your own unit and the one below. Good ventilation and wiping down the walls after showers helps to dry the grout out between uses but only goes so far if you have breaks in the grout that suck in water. This could be a relatively small fix by a good handyman but it could also be a very large issue requiring significant work by a professional tiler. Often in hot markets, tilers are very hard to come by and will overprice smaller jobs since their time is often better spent on large jobs.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 AM

89 posts, read 85,299 times
The obvious answer, whatever you and the seller agree upon.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 AM

5,048 posts, read 7,767,641 times
I am pondering agreeing with Smartmoney.

Even though there are furnishings in the condo, it sure feels like the place is long abandoned. Worse, if someone is living there and let it go like that. Perhaps it was inherited and then let sit.

So at least it's good you can walk away if you choose. Some contracts lately sneak in that can only be done over something broken (not old nor near end of its life) and where the seller refuses to repair.

It just seems like a lot for a first purchase.

So...sometimes a side issue can be a decider.

How about the HOA you can't find much about? You got the documents? You got the last year or so of meeting minutes? You ascertained their financials?

Is there a special assessment coming up?

You say there are a lot of renters around. How is that effecting sales there, for your future reference? Are buyers able to get the financing they want? Or, as I've seen some places, are these units rentals because the owners have not been able to sell, so they move on and rent out their unit?

And then HOA finances can suffer. I have known where such a situation makes a board (made up of some of these same owners) hesitant to collect a special assessment because they know owners (and themselves) just don't have the extra money.

Does you area require a report on the condition of the property every so many years? What were the latest results?

Answers to these questions may be perfectly acceptable to you. Or they may make you reconsider your purchase.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 AM

16,463 posts, read 21,249,032 times
$25k for all these repairs, plus a new kitchen, new flooring and, potentially, a new bathroom and windows? I'd say that's in the low range. Especially because I doubt you've found all the problems with this place.

You stated earlier in this thread that you tried to talk to the neighbors, but most are renters. Ding Ding Ding Red Alert! Unless you are planning on this being a rental property, walk away. No - run away QUICKLY.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,908,601 times
Here's why you don't want to have the seller fix it: the owner's motivation is to meet the letter of the law, so to speak, in the cheapest way possible. You on the other hand might prefer to have it done in the best way possible. In any case, if you ask for repairs, the risk is that the seller might make them, and then you're stuck with it. I wouldn't buy a property that was so ill maintained. I'd walk without making any form of offer or request for repairs. "Water damage" are the key words.

We had to bust a deal using the contingency, once. Too many DIY repairs by a guy who thought he was a great repairman (he was not). After we made the request for compensation, I had immediate regrets. What if he gave in, and there was stuff the inspector hadn't found? I was relieved when he flat refused to do any repairs or lower his price. We walked and ended up with a much better place.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 AM

3,356 posts, read 1,292,507 times
Things not visible during viewing and not working would be ok to ask for and any safety issues.
No to refrig. No to water htr. Ok on furnace to be repaired..not replaced. Water not coming out of faucet and water damage ok. Kitchen cabinets no.
Also depended on if house has been priced with issues taken in to consideration.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM

11,082 posts, read 9,390,605 times
As a buyer I would not touch a home that required a lot of fixes. I also would not trust a seller to get them done professionally/properly.

Of course that is why most of my home purchases have been new or near new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or