Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 8,253 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I'm meeting with an attorney this week. Purchased a home, hired and paid inspector. Home was vacant for 3 years. Seller did some remodeling including replacing carpet in "partially finished basement" (advertised as such). New furnace and water heater during remodel. After pointing out newer concrete between house and driveway, realtor said there was a leak but "they fixed it". Carpet needed to be replaced in basement due to the numerous stains throughout the basement. Asked seller to remove carpet prior to close, he refused. Realtor refused to let me remove carpet before close. Had problems getting roof replaced within 30 days of close (per insurance company). Asked realtor if seller would consider renting to me until I could save enough for new roof as all roofing companies were booked solid for several months. Realtor told me no without consulting seller (we used the same agent).
Roof issue resolved (insurance agent called in a favor) so closed on house. Carpet needed to be replaced in basement so scheduled for a week after close. Company removed carpet and found mold under carpet. Lots and lots of mold on 3/4" particleboard. Inspector did not catch it but I believe he should have. I mentioned to him how musty the basement smelled but I attributed it to the house being vacant for so long. The support poles were discolored where they met the floor. Seller did not disclose any basement problems or leaks. Hired a few guys to remove the particleboard and plastic drainage mats. Much more mold and dampness on underside of particleboard. Under the drainage mats (there were not the appropriate number of mats). Under the mats were tiles laid in the 50’s or 60’s (according to the pattern). The wetness was very evident under all the boards. It appears the basement possibly flooded and sat for a few days before owner found out (hence the new water heater and furnace). Basement was not completely dried out before carpet had been replaced. Dampness trapped between tiles and particleboard and never had a chance to dry. particleboard should have been removed before carpet was laid.
Hired a few guys to remove boards and mats. Took a few days for tiles on floor to dry (open windows and fans). I’ve been prying tiles up with crowbar, they are popping off quite easily. Most of the carpet tacking was black (and wet). Concrete floor under tiles is uneven and very discolored. My question is where do I go from here? Should the concrete be removed and new concrete poured or can I have new concrete poured over the old concrete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
If the basement water problem was from a one-time event, as you think, that would be a lucky outcome indeed. The alternative is chronic seepage from a damp environment/high water table, resulting in a leaky damp basement.

I am guessing there is a way to resurface the concrete floor, and I would recommend painting the floor and not putting down any permanent flooring on top of that... for awhile. Use area rugs... even a large bound remnant, something that can be pulled up easily if dampness happens. Wait and see a few years, at least.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
If it was tiled in the 50s-60s, chances are the tile is asbestos, especially if it's 9x9. Also very likely the tile mastic is asbestos, also. You need to know for sure before you proceed with any kind of demo.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 AM

I had already thought of asbestos and have taken precautions when working to remove tiles. Because of the age of the tiles, I'm positive they contain asbestos. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Diana - I'm 99.9% positive the basement flooded at some point. My guess is there was a power outage, owner/seller did not notice it for a few days. I found photos of the house either right before he purchased it or right after which included the carpet and old, ugly wall colors. It seems the carpet wasn't replaced unless he found the exact color (which is possible) but I know he would not go to such great lengths (trust me on that). The carpet appeared to be new according to the photos. He did tell me there were boards under the carpet. How would he know this and/or why would he even have mentioned this? There were tenants living in the house when he purchased it; he had to evict them (kin to the woman who passed away). He did not do any remodeling until tenants vacated (that's what he told me as well as a mutual friend). Seller blamed tenants for trashing the carpet which I now know not to be true. I have been monitoring the basement very closely; we have had rain a few times and there is no evidence of any leaks as the floor has remained dry since removing the boards, mats and a few of the tiles.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Is the basement worth doing all of this work for? Is it a pleasant space? Do you need this space?

I'm biased because I dislike basements other than for storage and obviously for storing the guts of the house. I'm talking about basements that aren't walkouts. We saw so many finished basements on our house hunt last year that should have been returned to their cellar status

Anyway, I would finish ripping everything out and monitor it for a year. Get through a cycle of all of the seasons in your area and see. Buy one of those humidity gauges and monitor how humid it gets down there. Then see what you want to do with it

Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM

Yes, the basement is worth doing the work (it would all have to be removed regardless). I purchased this home to enjoy it and because the basement is partially finished, that was another reason I put it high on my list. The other half of the basement houses mechanics as well as a walk-in very large, finished (flooring, walls, higher end shelves) elevated storage closet. I looked at so many homes in the area I wanted and this was at the top of my list. Yes, I could have looked elsewhere but due to circumstances with my landlord, I had to make a quick move once I had signed the PA, had an inspection and appraisal and did not want to start from ground zero. NOTE: after living in the home I had rented for 8 years, my land/slumlord was extremely ticked off that I was moving and served me with an eviction notice - no reason stated. He would not have had a leg to stand on in court and I'm positive the judge would have told him to get the (&LL out of his courtroom based on all the harassment he had caused me and then retaliation for not signing a new lease. Thankfully I have kept every email, text, and voice mail he sent me.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM

LOL nobody has really answered my question regarding having to tear out the existing floor or is it safe to put concrete on top of it (I'm thinking at least one inch).

Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julziexo View Post
Let me start by saying I'm meeting with an attorney this week. Purchased a home, hired and paid inspector. Home was vacant for 3 years. Seller did some remodeling including replacing carpet in "partially finished basement" (advertised as such). New furnace and water heater during remodel. After pointing out newer concrete between house and driveway, realtor said there was a leak but "they fixed it". Carpet needed to be replaced in basement due to the numerous stains throughout the basement. Asked seller to remove carpet prior to close, he refused. Realtor refused to let me remove carpet before close. Had problems getting roof replaced within 30 days of close (per insurance company). Asked realtor if seller would consider renting to me until I could save enough for new roof as all roofing companies were booked solid for several months. Realtor told me no without consulting seller (we used the same agent).
Roof issue resolved (insurance agent called in a favor) so closed on house. Carpet needed to be replaced in basement so scheduled for a week after close. Company removed carpet and found mold under carpet. Lots and lots of mold on 3/4" particleboard. Inspector did not catch it but I believe he should have. I mentioned to him how musty the basement smelled but I attributed it to the house being vacant for so long. The support poles were discolored where they met the floor. Seller did not disclose any basement problems or leaks. Hired a few guys to remove the particleboard and plastic drainage mats. Much more mold and dampness on underside of particleboard. Under the drainage mats (there were not the appropriate number of mats). Under the mats were tiles laid in the 50’s or 60’s (according to the pattern). The wetness was very evident under all the boards. It appears the basement possibly flooded and sat for a few days before owner found out (hence the new water heater and furnace). Basement was not completely dried out before carpet had been replaced. Dampness trapped between tiles and particleboard and never had a chance to dry. particleboard should have been removed before carpet was laid.
Hired a few guys to remove boards and mats. Took a few days for tiles on floor to dry (open windows and fans). I’ve been prying tiles up with crowbar, they are popping off quite easily. Most of the carpet tacking was black (and wet). Concrete floor under tiles is uneven and very discolored. My question is where do I go from here? Should the concrete be removed and new concrete poured or can I have new concrete poured over the old concrete?
You are doing the right thing, getting all that out of there. What I'd do is use bleach to kill any left over mold. Mix some water and bleach and pour it over the bare cement and use a broom or mop to spread it. Ventilate while you are doing this. But it will kill mold.

I'd also set up a dehumidifier and let it run til it gets cold. You'll know more about what else you'll need to do once you get all the wood, flooring or anything on the walls, sheetrock, paneling, anything removed.
We had a major flood here in 97' and people had to completely gut their basement bedrooms or any other type finished basement rooms. It was also recommended that folks not rebuild using those studs for at least 6 mths. If there are studs, you will need to look at them, and if there are darkened from water I'd pull them.
We also cleaned our venting from the furnace. Mold spores travel. Personally I used to mix bleach and water and put it into a spray bottle and I would spray the wood beams and such, but my basement wasn't finished so it helped as I could see anything I questioned.
Check FEMA website for several tips and recommendations regarding flooded homes.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julziexo View Post
LOL nobody has really answered my question regarding having to tear out the existing floor or is it safe to put concrete on top of it (I'm thinking at least one inch).
I gave my answer

I would leave it alone for a year to see your region's climate cycle and how your basement reacts in it. I would monitor the humidity levels in it over the year as well. You don't know what you are dealing with yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate