Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times

Advertisements

No remorse what so ever because we bought far lower than what we had been approved for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thank you for saying what I was thinking. The "imbecile" remark was totally unnecessary.

This information is coming from a survey by Trulia of 2,000 people (including the renters). I very much doubt that is statistically acceptable.

It's a statistically small sample size relative to the population size and I'm sure it includes coverage error.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Absolutely no regrets with our home purchase. Size is good enough, neighborhood is great,
That's us. No regrets. Not too big, not too small. Brand new ranch, low maintenance and perfect for us in our retirement. And when only one of us is left, it won't be a huge burden for the survivor.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I have 2,000 sq ft and it's too much. I'd rather knock down some walls and extend my garage.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:53 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
I follow this entrepreneur called Grant Cardone. His philosophy on home ownership is "dont". He says "rent where you live and own where you rent". Basically, dont get tied down and become a slave to your mortgage. What he does say is "own property that you can rent out profit off of".

Self-made millionaire: Don't buy a home

Old 07-19-2017, 07:59 AM

I have a good friend who just recently retired and purchased a beautiful home in Florida. It was his dream to retire, move south and buy a home.

It's been 2yrs and he's now regretting the purchase. Although it was a fairly new build, he tells me that home ownership is a money pit. He's now looking to sell and purchase a simple condo. He says he'd rather pay a small HOA fee and have them maintain everything. He says he'd rather free up the cash to travel rather than constantly having to spend it on maintaining the house.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I have a good friend who just recently retired and purchased a beautiful home in Florida. It was his dream to retire, move south and buy a home.

It's been 2yrs and he's now regretting the purchase. Although it was a fairly new build, he tells me that home ownership is a money pit. He's now looking to sell and purchase a simple condo. He says he'd rather pay a small HOA fee and have them maintain everything. He says he'd rather free up the cash to travel rather than constantly having to spend it on maintaining the house.
Just wait, this guy isn't even a millennial either, speaking from someone who is 28 this is going to be the majority of the younger generation's mindset just wait, going to turn the housing mark for a loop in another 15- 20 years. These bigger houses are just money pits, and younger people are less materialistic then older generations, we want experiences more then things and we now clearly see the trappings of the modern day rat race.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
I follow this entrepreneur called Grant Cardone. His philosophy on home ownership is "dont". He says "rent where you live and own where you rent". Basically, dont get tied down and become a slave to your mortgage. What he does say is "own property that you can rent out profit off of".

Good stuff! I like that, rent where you live, own where you rent.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:58 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:

Like everything this is not a hard and fast rule. There are logistics and risks of owning where you rent if it is far away from where you live.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Another thing is, do you ever really own your home? Even if you completely pay it off, try not paying your property tax (which always rises) and see how much you own your home.

Back when I lived in NY there was an elderly couple who were devestated as they were on a fix income and the constant increases in property tax forced them to sell as they could no longer afford it despite the fact that their house was paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate