U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM

13,182 posts, read 26,900,491 times

Advertisements

When listing a condo or townhouse why do realtors not disclose the maintenance fees?
It drives me nuts looking at ads and figuring mortage & taxes knowing the fee is a mystery. It would be easier for me at least to narrow down to the ones I can afford with all fees accounted for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM

286 posts, read 1,259,973 times
In our MLS, monthly maintenance is shown on all townhomes and condos. Is that what you're looking at, since you mention "Ads". In other print advertising, such as magazines or newspapers, it's rare to see anything but the selling price.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
In our MLS, monthly maintenance is shown on all townhomes and condos. Is that what you're looking at, since you mention "Ads". In other print advertising, such as magazines or newspapers, it's rare to see anything but the selling price.
Well you are in the minority!! At least the realtor websites I've been looking at.
I see what's included in the fee but the actual fee is never listed.
Tons of photos all that but no fee listed.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM

4,146 posts, read 9,910,613 times
The Realtor websites are watered down versions of the MLS. They don't show all the info available, because the technology that transfers the MLS to the website doesn't pull that info. It's not anyone being vague on purpose. Get a Realtor to help you out. They can run you a search with all that info.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM

286 posts, read 1,259,973 times
If you are looking at Realtor.com or other web sites that pull from area MLS, they are limited in what fields are pulled, so HOA fees may not be included, or may have a reference to call the Listing Agent for details. Our local MLS has a non-member page, where you can search for properties, and get full details. Check to see if your area MLS provides such a service. It sounds as if you are trying to do as much research as you can on your own, but it may help to establish a relationship with a realtor at some point. Good luck with the search

Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
If you are looking at Realtor.com or other web sites that pull from area MLS, they are limited in what fields are pulled, so HOA fees may not be included, or may have a reference to call the Listing Agent for details. Our local MLS has a non-member page, where you can search for properties, and get full details. Check to see if your area MLS provides such a service. It sounds as if you are trying to do as much research as you can on your own, but it may help to establish a relationship with a realtor at some point. Good luck with the search
Thanks for the info.
Yes, I'm researching on my own, when I have areas narrowed down then I would call a realtor

Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
The Realtor websites are watered down versions of the MLS. They don't show all the info available, because the technology that transfers the MLS to the website doesn't pull that info. It's not anyone being vague on purpose. Get a Realtor to help you out. They can run you a search with all that info.
I didn't want to involve a realtor as I'm searching in several areas in several states for a winter/retirement home, condo or townhouse.

Once I've narrowed down where I want to be then I would look intensively and contact a realtor on what I've seen that I liked.

Don't want to be wasting someone's time until I know where it will be.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM

4,825 posts, read 13,623,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thanks for the info.
Yes, I'm researching on my own, when I have areas narrowed down then I would call a realtor
Whoa Nellie!!! You have it all backwards. If you have a community, city, or state where you plan to live, call several Realtors serving those areas now. Let them guide you. Once you have found a suitable community, then pare the number of Realtors to the best one you have interviewed serving the community you like best. Then let the pro work for you!

A buyer broker/Realtor is mandated by law and the Realtor Code of Ethics to serve you. If you buy a home from a listing broker, neither you or the seller will have full representation.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,006,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Whoa Nellie!!! You have it all backwards. If you have a community, city, or state where you plan to live, call several Realtors serving those areas now. Let them guide you. Once you have found a suitable community, then pare the number of Realtors to the best one you have interviewed serving the community you like best. Then let the pro work for you!

A buyer broker/Realtor is mandated by law and the Realtor Code of Ethics to serve you. If you buy a home from a listing broker, neither you or the seller will have full representation.
Ok, so you want someone to call "several" realtors to guide him. He said that he didn't want to waste someones time, and you're advising him to waste several realtors time.

People constantly criticize realtors for the amount of commission, but they have no qualms about wasting their time asking them to do a lot of work for them for free.

Why not offer to pay an hourly fee to those realtors whom one is going to use and then discard?

A very good way to get realtors to lower their fees is to pay them an hourly fee for their time.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:36 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,264,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Ok, so you want someone to call "several" realtors to guide him. He said that he didn't want to waste someones time, and you're advising him to waste several realtors time.

People constantly criticize realtors for the amount of commission, but they have no qualms about wasting their time asking them to do a lot of work for them for free.
Virtually every real estate agent I know would be happy to oblige and would consider consider a potential buyer who is shopping in several markets a qualified lead. It is not a "lot of work" to spend 15 minutes or so chatting about local market with respect to the target price range and seeing if a match could take place. Real estate sales agents that are not willing to spend time cultivating sales leads have no business in sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate