Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,240,716 times

Advertisements

Very interesting responses, surprised there is such a difference of opinion. As I said nearly everyone I know prefers gas. I don't expect to recoup all of my costs but a gas range could go in the plus column when buyers are evaluating the home. And since it will only be the range and oven the cost to operate won't vary all that much as the cost of propane changes,

But I've heard enough negative comments to make me believe it won't be worth the cost and hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,624,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Very interesting responses, surprised there is such a difference of opinion. As I said nearly everyone I know prefers gas. I don't expect to recoup all of my costs but a gas range could go in the plus column when buyers are evaluating the home. And since it will only be the range and oven the cost to operate won't vary all that much as the cost of propane changes,

But I've heard enough negative comments to make me believe it won't be worth the cost and hassle.
When they say everyone prefers gas it means natural gas from a line in the house.

and I for one prefer not to have any gas lines in the neighborhood than cook on gas and some people don't care for open flames or the look of a gas cooktop.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 AM

6,033 posts, read 4,382,757 times
I have a natural gas line coming to the house (supposedly the only one in the neighborhood) for heat, but no stove hookup was put in, so I have electric - one of those sealed burner glass cooktop nightmares. I dream of a gas stove, and I know that people who cook prefer gas. However, there are things I need here more than indulging myself, so I keep dreaming and have learned to cook with electric. The cost will depend on where you are.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,865,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Switching to propane should be like buying art: Get it because you like it, not because it might be a good investment.
I have a 500 gallon tank, it gets filled only to 80%. We have a water heater and two zone heating, small fireplace but no stove.. Probably paying $1800 a year.
The propane company owns our tank so we cannot shop for a better price. Don't go that route, buy your own and be sure to save the receipt.
I was in the same setup as you, but with a 1,000 gallon tank. I ended up buying the tank outright from the propane co (Amerigas) at a depreciated value (I think it was 2 years old and instead of like $4K, I paid $3200 or something like that). Definitely worth it, so maybe call your tank owner and ask if you can buy it outright.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:04 PM

11,047 posts, read 23,860,003 times
I don't think you'll get any increase in sales price for a gas over electric stove, but I'm not a Realtor. Any appliance in nice condition would be good, IMHO, and there's no telling what the buyer's preferences will be. Trying to guess what a mythical buyer is gonna want is almost impossible, so get what you like and assume that if you like it other folks will too.

When it comes closer to the time to sell, then you'll be able to look around and decide what or if anything needs to be changed to attract a buyer.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:19 PM

8,524 posts, read 13,896,762 times
Quote:
We need a new range and unfortunately it is electric. We hate electric ranges but have learned to adapt. But since we are going to be replacing the range I was wondering what a change to propane could do for resale. It will be an expense, still trying to determine that amount but I'm thinking $1,000 plus the cost of the range.

The kitchen of this old farmhouse needs a remake, and we are not sure we want to commit to that expense with regard to ROI. And I kind of buy into the "either do it all or do nothing and price accordingly" with regard to a kitchen remodel. But this may be a fairly inexpensive change that could really help sell a home we plan to sell in about 7 years when we relocate in retirement.

Thoughts?
In my area, natural gas lines are not always available. Only about 1/2 the town I live in has access to them (and I'm right outside of Boston believe it or not). Many homes are heated with oil and have electric cooking. The vast majority of homebuyers hate this. Adding a propane tank for cooking, fireplaces, etc. can help distinguish your house from others that don't have it and can speed up the sale. However, it's not going to add any real value IMO and I wouldn't do it solely for the purpose of resale. If you hate electric cooking and are going to use it while you live in the house then do it. If you're moving tomorrow, then don't bother.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
As a former personal chef, now agent, I've found that my buyers mostly fall into two categories - those who don't care one way or the other or those who love to cook and love gas (it can be a deal breaker for those people). If you want control when cooking, gas (either natural gas or propane - both cook exactly the same, I know, I've switched from one to the other) is the way to go. Lots of folks I know HATE smooth tops (they aren't particularly cast iron friendly and every true cook I know has cast iron of some kind or another, usually lots, and you couldn't pay them enough to change to something else - yeah, I know a lot of foodies).

We currently use propane for cooking (the gas range came with a converter, as most do, we learned when shopping for stoves, that just screws on or off depending on whether you're using natural gas or propane) as well as heat and hot water, have a 250 gallon tank that came with the ranch (we own it), and are on a "keep full" program which means they come by once a month in the winter, skip the summer entirely and check us and top us off in the fall. Don't ever have to even think about it.

But, really, while most people who are passionate about cooking prefer gas of one kind or another, do it because you like it, not for resale.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:48 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,240,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
When they say everyone prefers gas it means natural gas from a line in the house.

and I for one prefer not to have any gas lines in the neighborhood than cook on gas and some people don't care for open flames or the look of a gas cooktop.
Not necessarily so. As I said one of my friends who always preferred gas and cooks a lot recently changed their weekend house from electric to propane as it's in a remote area not service by the gas company. As we are the same situation I have to believe propane is the option around here for those preferring gas.

As I said earlier this is not a decision based on our preference. We are in money crunching mode, we have lived with an electric stove for the entire 24 years of our marriage and we can survive 7 more. No this entire decision will be based on one thing and one thing only: will it appeal to more buyers and help sell the home.

With so many conflicting responses I'm lead to believe that it won't be worth the trouble/expense. But I have to say having used one I don't get the hesitation. They cooked the exact same to me and the smell was so slight it was hardly worth noting. As for the danger certainly not a factor for us, doubt it will be for most. And they can always go back to electric, we are not removing the outlet.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:06 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,018,050 times
Quote:
As I said earlier this is not a decision based on our preference. We are in money crunching mode, we have lived with an electric stove for the entire 24 years of our marriage and we can survive 7 more. No this entire decision will be based on one thing and one thing only: will it appeal to more buyers and help sell the home.
If you were moving in 7 months, sure. But 7 years? That's a really sad way to go through life, planning around what some anonymous stranger may or may not want almost a decade from now, rather than what YOU want in the here and now.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,953,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

If you dislike gaslines in the neighborhood it has zero impact on the OP. They already exist or not, and a conversion to a gas stove won't cchange that fact. As for the aesthetics of a gas stove vs a glass top, opinions will obviously differ. I personally hate glass tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Propane doesn't burn as hot as natural gas (I've had both). And it stinks more.
Science disagrees. Propane burns at a higher temp than natural gas. . Propane is also more efficient than natural gas, providing more BTUs for equivalent volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate