Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:18 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Brokers' Open House" is about the best possible legit description.

Until midnight?
Broker had better be family with sellers....
That was my first thought too. Broker's Open, hence the no advertising of the home.

I agree that until midnight is what makes that idea dubious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Late evening Broker's Opens are common here in Fort Lauderdale especially with higher end homes. I've been to several.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:21 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
This sounds outlandish to me. Giving an agent permission to show your house for sale is not the same as granting the agent full control to do whatever they want. What's next? Letting their brother in law stay over, or putting it on AirBnB?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
A lot of assumptions on this thread that the owners aren't aware of it and did not/would not give permission for whatever it was.

It's not inconceivable that it is what the realtor said... An evening open house for some invited guests or brokers. It's a little unusual to do that late on a Sunday night, but late on a Sunday night is an unusual time to have a cocktail party as well... so who knows?

If you know the owners... call them! Find out.
This (bolding mine). You don't know they didn't have permission. I'm sure a lot of the "listing agent's friends" are other agents.

Let us know what the owner and agent's boss say.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:16 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,011 times
If they got permission, fine, but I'd be calling the owners to verify. That would be absolutely awful if they did it without permission, since the owners are the ones with the liability on the house until it sells.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 PM

46 posts, read 40,510 times
Why wasn't I invited...!?!?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This just happened down the street from one of my properties.

A house has been empty/on the market for a few months. The owners are absentee (I know them-- they live in another state several hours away.)

On Sunday evening at around 7, there were a lot of people at the house. Cars everywhere. Music. It was clearly a party. One of my tenants went over and saw the listing agent who was entertaining guests at the location. When she asked what was happening, the realtor gave her a story that she was doing a "late evening open house" to attract buyers. There was alcohol and food, but no advertisement of any kind of open house. My tenant says this was obviously a party for the realtor's friends.

Has anyone heard of an agent doing something like this? My tenant wants to tell the owners of the property and went so far as to call the brokerage and report the agent to his boss. She says that there were "cars everywhere" on the street and that the "open house" lasted until midnight.

I was not on the premises and did not see this, but have also been told by another owner on the street that it happened. I would imagine this is very much in violation of some kind of ethical code if this was strictly for the agent's personal use and not intended to sell the house.
I certainly hope that you contacted your friends the owners and told them about this. This would totally pi.s.s me off if it were my home.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
WOW, I definitely would tell the homeowners!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I saw a similar scenario on a recent sitcom.....

Old 08-02-2017, 07:05 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Late evening Broker's Opens are common here in Fort Lauderdale especially with higher end homes. I've been to several.
Broker's opens being held at night are also common in northern VA. I suspect the event may be exaggerated. Remember the old game of "telephone"? Whenever you've got multiple people passing a story, odds are the event will be blown out of proportion. It probably was just a few brokers looking at the house, the neighbor probably knew about it, and it probably didn't run that late.

If you want to know the reason for a party at a neighbor's house, ask the neighbor. Why would a landlord know the reason for a party being held next door? Why would people on the internet know, either? The person to ask is the neighbor. Otherwise, all you're doing is gossiping about the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate