Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 PM

28 posts, read 120,357 times

Advertisements

Good luck to you. I was in a house for four months and my wife hated the area, ( i agreed with her) so we put it on the market against the advice of family and friends who all said to give it a year, we sold it and went back "home". Try to keep the stress of it all in check and remember only you and your husband know what is really right for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 PM

15,542 posts, read 40,321,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellys3angels View Post
Thanks for all of the advice once again! Mr. Silverfall, my family and I are not happy with not only the area but the schools are not what we expected. AND, my husband does not like the company he is working for. The people in our area are very cold and unfriendly. And just so you know, my husband and I did research the company and the area the best we could. The company lied to my husband and put him in a different position than he was hired for. Also, the principal misrepresented the school and told us there was a lot of parent/teacher involvement. That is so far from the truth. As far as the house selling, we do not mind moving again. We actually are looking forward to it since we know where we are going - our "home". With many friends and a great support system (something that we do not have here!) my husband also has a once in a lifetime offer back "home". We are staging our house and the house will be clean as a whistle. When we moved from our other home it sold in one day. We are keeping our fingers crossed and saying prayers that everything will go smoothly. Have you ever heard of a smooth move?
Actually it's Ms. Silverfall. Did my comment come off as "manly" or something? I guess the lack of empathy in my comment made you think I was a guy?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 AM

51 posts, read 169,498 times
I apologize Ms. Silverfall. I'm not sure what made me think that you were a male. Sorry! Thank you 355 Express on your comment. Nothing is more important than my families health and happiness. Like I mentioned before, my husband and I did an extremely amount of research on the entire area before making the BIG decision. I guess you really don't know what an area is like until you live there! I took a drive around the surrounding neighborhoods this morning and noticed a lot of for sale signs (not just in my neighborhood). My husband and I are going to remain positive throughout this entire ordeal. I do believe that everything will work out. Thanks again for everyone's input. It is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 PM

15,542 posts, read 40,321,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellys3angels View Post
I apologize Ms. Silverfall. I'm not sure what made me think that you were a male. Sorry! Thank you 355 Express on your comment. Nothing is more important than my families health and happiness. Like I mentioned before, my husband and I did an extremely amount of research on the entire area before making the BIG decision. I guess you really don't know what an area is like until you live there! I took a drive around the surrounding neighborhoods this morning and noticed a lot of for sale signs (not just in my neighborhood). My husband and I are going to remain positive throughout this entire ordeal. I do believe that everything will work out. Thanks again for everyone's input. It is greatly appreciated!
No apology needed, I actually thought it was funny.

You sound like you did your research, but it takes time to build a support system. I used to live in Portland, OR and moved to Salem and it took me about 3 years to like it here (what can I say, I kept hoping my hubby would hate his job so we could move back). I know I always try and get my relocaters "plugged into" some groups or organizations. It is a big transition, and I am in the party with 355's family who say to give it a year. The fact that your hubby hates his job, well that makes the decision to go back home easier. I just hate to see people lose a lot of hard earned money.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,021,336 times
We hope the fastest way to sell our house is by making sure it is not only in move-in-condition but full of curb appeal, staged tastefully and minimally and priced below other houses that are for sale that are of similar style, condition and size....at least that is the path we are following - well let you know if it works.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:35 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,211,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We hope the fastest way to sell our house is by making sure it is not only in move-in-condition but full of curb appeal, staged tastefully and minimally and priced below other houses that are for sale that are of similar style, condition and size....at least that is the path we are following - well let you know if it works.
That's all good, but does anybody know about it? How are you marketing the home to the largest possible audience locally, regionally, nationally and internationally?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,523,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post

. . . . .

I hear your argument. His widgit IS actually only worth $0.75. Because that's what the market will bare.

But that's car market type economics. You know your car will be worth less after you buy it due to wear and tear. Is this where the housing market is going?
Close to the where it is going . . but I would guess in some markets THAT is already where IT IS AT. I am one of those would-be "qualified buyers." (bfd). But here is what the math looks like from this end -- houses dropping at 10% (or more) a year . . . for how many years? . . . unknown. I have to budget that drop for at least two years. Means a 20% or more drop.

Applying that, let's look at a $500,000 house. I have to budget a 20% drop in over the next two years, were we to pay full seller fantasy "value." Dumping and losing $100,000 over two years will rent us some fairly swank digs for a couple of years instead of investing in tickets to the Real Estate Titanic.

Problem is the Real Estate industry has ran out of "Greater Fools," to buy what is clearly an over priced market across the board. Every month we are seeing more and more available for less and less money. Buying anything less than a severe discount now makes no sense.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:10 PM

523 posts, read 1,415,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Close to the where it is going . . but I would guess in some markets THAT is already where IT IS AT. I am one of those would-be "qualified buyers." (bfd). But here is what the math looks like from this end -- houses dropping at 10% (or more) a year . . . for how many years? . . . unknown. I have to budget that drop for at least two years. Means a 20% or more drop.

Applying that, let's look at a $500,000 house. I have to budget a 20% drop in over the next two years, were we to pay full seller fantasy "value." Dumping and losing $100,000 over two years will rent us some fairly swank digs for a couple of years instead of investing in tickets to the Real Estate Titanic.

Problem is the Real Estate industry has ran out of "Greater Fools," to buy what is clearly an over priced market across the board. Every month we are seeing more and more available for less and less money. Buying anything less than a severe discount now makes no sense.
I concur, negative 10% per year is in the bag for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,021,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
That's all good, but does anybody know about it? How are you marketing the home to the largest possible audience locally, regionally, nationally and internationally?

We are going with a full-time realtor who is part of First Team Real Estate here in So. California - they spend more on advertising than any local real estate company. They are the only major real estate company here that still advertises in all the major local newspapers - our realtor posts multiple photos (as in 12-15) on his website and realtor dot com.....he holds open houses at least every other weekend for the first three months and has great fliers. He has sold the most homes in our neighborhood over the last few years. That is the path we are taking in order to get our house sold - all you can do is the best you can with what you have to work with.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:16 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,211,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We are going with a full-time realtor who is part of First Team Real Estate here in So. California - they spend more on advertising than any local real estate company. They are the only major real estate company here that still advertises in all the major local newspapers - our realtor posts multiple photos (as in 12-15) on his website and realtor dot com.....he holds open houses at least every other weekend for the first three months and has great fliers. He has sold the most homes in our neighborhood over the last few years. That is the path we are taking in order to get our house sold - all you can do is the best you can with what you have to work with.
OK, good. You left that out of your last post and I was concerned for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate