Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 05:53 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm so tired of showing my house! It's been on the market for a month, with about 3 showings per week (My realtor says that's good for a home in this price range).

I just hate packing up me and my dog to drive around for an hour (because I can't take the dog into a store, library, etc) and it's too hot here (TX) to just walk the neighborhood or a park during showings.

I've already had a few "no show" showings (very frustrating), and a few others that have been 10 minutes or less (my alarm system shows me exactly when every door is opened/closed/locked etc). And then I feel so annoyed that I've interrupted my day, done a cleaning blast, driven around for an hour, for nothing.

If I stay "out of the way" would people consider it completely weird if I didn't leave for showings? (Yes, of course, my realtor says it's best to leave, but I'm asking what YOU would think if a seller hung out in the back yard or pool or somewhere unobtrusive).

BTW, moving van is packing up everything in 3 weeks, whether the house has sold or not, so I can join hub in UT where his new job started a couple months ago. So I don't actually have much longer to put up with showings, but it already feels like an eternity. (We've done this many times, but for some reason I am not coping well this time).
And, you have a better situation only 3 weeks away.
Knowing that, I would pull the house off the market, load the trucks, clean the place immaculately, get out of Dodge, and go back onto the market.

September 1, let 'em show any time and relax a bit.

There will be a significant number of buyers who are uncomfortable with you on the property.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 08-05-2017 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I love it when the buyer is around... always a good opportunity to interact.

Generally, the agents want the separation and to be the sole conduit.

I've sold For Sale By Owner and was always around...

Old 08-05-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I see an opportunity for a CD Poll..

"Coming Soon!!!"

Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 AM

Part of having professional representation is so you don't have to be around which can be a wonderful thing...

As a buyer... meeting the seller(s) has always been a plus... a gave me a feel what was important as in the case when the sellers had a lot of aniexty moving to a retirement home and what to do with what they could not take... especially his woodworking tools...

My offer said they did not have to take anything and had a provision to buy the wood working tools for $2,000 and this is what gave me the edge... they were relieved at not having to deal with the excess and finding a good home for his tools... mostly old Craftsman but very good from when they had made in American.

On the other hand... having a dog that was agitated or otherwise prevented viewing would be a negative unless it was there for all showings and then it could be an opportunity... like the house the smelled like dog and turning off most...

Old 08-05-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Part of having professional representation is so you don't have to be around which can be a wonderful thing...

As a buyer... meeting the seller(s) has always been a plus... a gave me a feel what was important as in the case when the sellers had a lot of aniexty moving to a retirement home and what to do with what they could not take... especially his woodworking tools...

My offer said they did not have to take anything and had a provision to buy the wood working tools for $2,000 and this is what gave me the edge... they were relieved at not having to deal with the excess and finding a good home for his tools... mostly old Craftsman but very good from when they had made in American.

On the other hand... having a dog that was agitated or otherwise prevented viewing would be a negative unless it was there for all showings and then it could be an opportunity... like the house the smelled like dog and turning off most...
I have seen parties seriously undermine their negotiating position when they meet. Either party can do that.

If I am buying or selling, I wouldn't mind meeting the other party.
But, I think I can often gain more leverage than most consumers will in that situation due to my experience.

Some people have no idea of the clues they leave when engaging someone on the "other side" of the transaction.
It is amazing how very small revealing statements can cost people thousands of dollars, and they never know it.
Bad agents talk too much and undermine their clients.
Many more consumers talk way too much, and more often, and undermine their efforts in getting best available terms and price.
Or they may put up such a defensive front, they might never get to a contract.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:18 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:

Completely agree and that's understandable but not always aligned with buyer. It's understandable that both buyer's and seller's agents want to aim for the process to be as 'professional' as possible. I think they probably feel that that's an important part of their role. And perhaps understandably, their vision of a professional transaction keeps the parties at arm's length with less opportunity for awkward personalities in the picture, more predictability, etc.

Obviously if you asked a buyer if they want a professional experience buying a home they would say yes. However, their idea of 'professional experience' would likely not preclude interaction with the seller. Some may just "not want to know" but I can't understand that.

I've had some older and even unusual houses and it's nice to be able to gauge if they have a good understanding of the nuances of how to take care of a property that might require special care. It's usually pretty easy to tell this in even a very short conversation. Many other reasons as I previously mentioned but that's another area to add to the list.

Just my thoughts on why there are such polarized views on this.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have seen parties seriously undermine their negotiating position when they meet. Either party can do that.

But, I think I can often gain more leverage than most consumers will in that situation due to my experience.

Some people have no idea of the clues they leave when engaging someone on the "other side" of the transaction.
It is amazing how very small revealing statements can cost people thousands of dollars, and they never know it.
Many more consumers talk way too much, and more often, and undermine their efforts in getting best available terms and price.
Or they may put up such a defensive front, they might never get to a contract.
Maybe a better way to describe my experiences other than positive is meeting provided insight that I could use to better tailor my offer or deal points.

I grew up around the car business as a fly on the wall as a child and loved every minute I could spend with my Grandfather... it might be the early experience of having a front row seat for negotiations gave me a better insight to the process.

I can easily see where it could go the other way depending on parties involved...

The Broker/Mentor that took me under her wing said I have a way with people...

Some of my purchases have been distressed or deferred maintenance where I asked for seller financing... this would never have been possible without establishing a rapport...

Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Or they may put up such a defensive front, they might never get to a contrac
t.
And almost every single one thinks that this couldn't possibly apply to them, they're too savvy to do those things. And they are almost always wrong.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And almost every single one thinks that this couldn't possibly apply to them, they're too savvy to do those things. And they are almost always wrong.
I had a client who wanted to talk to the sellers.
He did.
He did OK. Litigating attorney, and cognitive.
No problem.

The ones who give it up and think the agent can fix it are more concerning.
I cannot usually take the cards out of the other guys' hands when they are freely dealt.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM

229 posts, read 240,777 times
One of my last listings was one where several people were sharing responsibilities and that was a disaster. The female agent scheduled the septic inspection which we had to be at to pay the person and also scheduled the buyers to be there. We met, of course, and they had their questions that had been unable to get answered.

A few hours later the male agent called and yelled at us for talking to the buyers. Said we could be sued for saying something stupid. I asked him why we were scheduled to be there the same time and he had no answer for that.

I really prefer to have the sellers home when I buy a house. I have always found them to be helpful.

I was home during a showing when the agent told the prospective buyers that there would be no water bill because the home was on a shared well. The buyers then asked if that was true and I told them no and what the amount was they would be expected to pay each month and agent still insisted that there is no cost when you have a shared well. I told her monthly electric and an amount for the reserve account for maintenance on the well and she was absolutely amazed that someone would have to pay for water. Shook her head and said she had just learned something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate