Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here is another example I came up with.

The owner is asking $200,000 ... the house goes on the market and sits for over two years.
No one in Salt Lake wanted that home...
...at that $200,000 price.

The presumption is that the locals knew better ways to use their money:
less in cost and/or a better location.

Had your friends rented in SLC for a year they would likely have learned of those options too.

Quote:
It just stands out to me as another story of someone leaving California for another state.
Coming in flush and then paying far too much (let alone the awful location issues).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 09:52 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
First off, I've never lived in California!

As a first time home buyer, I fell in love with a house that was listed by owner. My realtor looked at the comps and told me that the house was overpriced by approximately $30,000. (At that time I did not know that my lender would do an appraisal on the house. If if was overpriced, I would have to come up with the extra money on my own or ask the seller to split the difference, or back out of the deal. All this I did not know at the time) So, my realtor asked me what I wanted to do. He said the owner had the house on the market numerous times in the last several years. We got the feeling that the owner was hoping somebody would pay what he was asking and if not, he would not sell. If I remember correctly the house was about 3 years old.

In comes ex Mr. and Mrs. California and they really love the house (just like I did). It's a bargain from where they come. So they buy the house even though it is overpriced. Probably pay cash for it too!

Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Only takes one willing and able buyer and the payoff is real provided the situation is right.

Same thing happens in California... people cashing in tech stock options flush with cash have been snapping up semi rural areas at prices that cannot be supported by AG...

Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

229 posts, read 240,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
This seems to be a problem in other states. Someone moves from California and buys a home in another state. People in that state complain that their property taxes are now going to go up because someone from California moved in and paid a lot more than the house was worth.

I know plenty of people that left California and moved to other states. I don't know any of them that set out to pay more for a home than it was worth. For those that sold homes in California and moved to another state one of the motivating factors was the lower cost price of homes. They were not looking to spend any more on the home then anyone else. For those in California that moved because they could not afford a home in California the same applies, the reason they were moving was because they wanted to own a home and could not afford to do it in California.

Our neighbors three houses down just sold the home that they have lived in for 8 years. The husband's job ended 6 months ago when the business he was working for closed that location. They did not have any other jobs in the area so him and his wife decided to sell and transfer to Arizona. I am betting that the equity they had could pay for a home in cash in Arizona but I am betting that they are not going to pay more than anyone else would pay. I have no idea what they will do anyway. Maybe they just put a large down payment on a place. I don't know. I do know it sounds ridiculous that they would pay more than someone already living in Arizona.

My wife has looked at other places and loves the lower prices. She seems to think we could sell our home and pay cash somewhere else for a home. After we look at what we have where we live now, beautiful weather, low humidity, year round temp's in the mid 70's on average, the ocean near by, a nice income, and working for a place we love, it makes it hard to jump ship for someplace else. I doubt we will ever move. So don't worry about me coming to your state and paying more for a home than it is worth.

So tell me, why do people think that us California people are going to increase your property taxes?
When I planned a move to Idaho in the 1960's we ran into that when looking for a home. People threw rocks at our car as we drove around and any time we looked at property we got that attitude. I hightailed it back to CA.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
In 2005 one of our local art teachers retired. He'd been living in a small plantation house. It was housing built for workers by the sugar cane company. Small house, small lot, small identical houses on every side. Great ocean view, but that also means it was built on a hillside. The cane company would usually site the houses where it wasn't easy to grown sugar cane. He'd gotten the house for about $50K - $80K about a decade earlier.

He puts it on the market for $460K. I have no idea how he came up with that number, a 'real' price would have been well below $200K. Someone from California bought it sight unseen over the internet about two days after it was listed. He took the money and ran off to Mexico and has been sending back occasional notes probably written under the influence of something from the tone of them.

The neighbors told me that the wife broke out in tears when she saw what they'd bought. They proceeded to tear out the kitchen and 'renovate' the entire house, but lipstick on a pig would be more appropriate than their 'renovations'. Trying to make a McMansion out of a cane house is futile. I think they're still there, but that's probably because they're so upside down on the price they'll never be able to recoup. In the meantime, the rest of the neighborhood has entertainment, I guess.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:31 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Some of us move from California to place with a higher cost of real estate:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/217-Whi...-Canyon-Rd_rb/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/174-Whi...,-UT-84060_rb/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/5000-Ro...,-UT-84060_rb/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/7-Roame...,-UT-84098_rb/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/69-Whit...-City,-UT-_rb/

and one of my favorites:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...76_rect/12_zm/

As you might imagine given these pricetags, it is the New York hedge fund managers who come in and outbid us simple Californians trying to buy a ski house.

It reminds me of this famous newspaper clipping in Palo Alto:

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 08-11-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 04:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
When I planned a move to Idaho in the 1960's we ran into that when looking for a home. People threw rocks at our car as we drove around and any time we looked at property we got that attitude. I hightailed it back to CA.
I've heard lots of stories like that from back in the 60s. Its really not that common any more because so many people are from California that live in Idaho. Meridian and Eagle are basically "Little California" now full of ugly tract homes and strip malls.

Every year when we got the first snow we would see brand new four wheel drive trucks and SUVs in all the ditches like clockwork. Most Californian's dont know how to drive on snow and ice.

California's are a mixed bag like everyone else, but they are a large enough group to really change the character of smaller places.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:03 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,735,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I LOVE CA! I see why people live there and don't want to leave.

We live next door in NV cause of the taxes and workman's comp. And you are just a close car ride away.

But there are the complainers who think pastures are greener other places.

CA people who can afford to live there. Before you lose your mind and move - Give me a state you think is better and I'll tell you the ugliness of it.

NV all the way!!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
The thing that seems to be missed in a lot of these discussions is that your California transplants were likely Midwestern transplants originally. California is often just a stop for transient professionals. And we're not particularly homogeneous. For every true blue northerner coming your way, there's likely a cohort from the other side of the aisle moving from the southland. Furthermore, having huge profits from a house sale doesn't necessarily translate into a flyover country McMansion. Some of us buy modest houses and pack the rest of the money into our retirements funds.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:29 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Geeze, you live in Oxnard! It's not that great.

My sister moved to Camarillo in the mid-60's...back then, it was great...now, it's a paved, concreted, overpriced & overcrowded suburb.

California is dead, destroyed, and this is coming from a native Southern Californian.

Listen to your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate