Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,453,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
Our oddest feedback was that they didn't like the guest room to be located right next to the master bedroom. In a 4 bedroom house +bonus +den...they could have picked 4 other rooms to be their guest room.

I also had a redfin agent leave a tour insight that said our half acre lot was "narrow and wide" LOL it's wedge-shaped because it's on a cul de sac.
Next time you sell, make sure you check off that you don't want agents to be able to leave comments on sites like Redfin. I have seen some really foolish things put up by clueless agents that made places very difficult to sell. A friend had someone say her house "needs updating" because she had original Art Deco bathrooms with gorgeous green and black tile and deep bath tubs. That was what ended up selling the house, but that comment scared off a lot of buyers. "Original" in mint condition doesn't "need updating'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,293,724 times
If you've ever watched HGTV's House Hunters nothing will surprise you anymore. I remember one lady complaining about a shade tree in the backyard because it would attract birds and their singing would disturb her. Then there's the other couple who complained that the neighbors in the 2 story house next door to the 1 story house they were looking at could see into their yard. I'm not sure what they wanted to do in their backyard that required such privacy since there wasn't even a pool back there. Maybe they were planning to sacrifice baby goats and didn't want any eyewitnesses?

Old 08-10-2017, 03:51 PM

22,135 posts, read 19,190,609 times
these are funny stories!

as a single mom coming out of a difficult divorce i bought a home that was sort of a fixer upper and i didn't mind because i had set money aside to put in a new kitchen. however there were quite a few strange and run down and odd things about that house that i left the way they were, because with three small children and trying to get my life back on track, it was simply more than i could handle.

Several years later when I put the house on the market to sell, it was with a yard that was overgrown, the deck needed repairs, the roof needed replacing, the basement was still not finished and had seepage problems and water stains, the wiring was bizarre. (It did however have a gorgeous kitchen.)

So there were a ton of things people could have commented on and rightly so, however what people kept commenting on was the large letter "M" that was painted on the outside of the garage door (about 3 feet high and 4 feet wide). Everyone wanted to know what the M stood for and was that part of my name. I said I had no idea, it was on the house when i bought it. Then they wanted to know why didn't i paint over it or change it to a different letter. i never knew what to tell them. it was the strangest thing. my kids had all kinds of fun with it all the years we lived in the house coming up with things it could stand for. "magnificent" or "mom" or "max" (my youngest son's name) or "moods" as in mom is in one of her moods or "matchbox" as in which matchbox car is needed on the next birthday or whatever else we could dream up pulling into the driveway.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,398,510 times
Just because someone has the money to buy a house doesnt mean they have any sense

Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,868,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I got some weird feedback after a showing this morning, so thought this topic would make a fun thread. Here's what these people said: They said they loved the house but the yard is "too landscaped." (Trust me, it's quite tasteful and moderate, drought tolerant, easy care, our yard guy comes only twice a month because grass grows slowly here in TX). They want a yard that "will require no maintenance whatsoever." Ummm, they're not going to find that in a subdivision (most HOAs require lawns), plus there were numerous photos of our yard on the online listing.
They'd love the one I saw a couple of years ago that had the entire property covered with grey gravel and lavishly studded with different-sized artificial Christmas trees (the cheap kind that look like bottle brushes).

Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,193,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Next time you sell, make sure you check off that you don't want agents to be able to leave comments on sites like Redfin. I have seen some really foolish things put up by clueless agents that made places very difficult to sell. A friend had someone say her house "needs updating" because she had original Art Deco bathrooms with gorgeous green and black tile and deep bath tubs. That was what ended up selling the house, but that comment scared off a lot of buyers. "Original" in mint condition doesn't "need updating'!
and what keeps Redfin or other agents from making comments on the home anyway? Just a lawsuit.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,453,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and what keeps Redfin or other agents from making comments on the home anyway? Just a lawsuit.
In states I have sold since the advent of Redfin, you get a form that asks where you want your listing to show other than MLS (Redfin, Zillow, etc.) and if you want to allow the comp tool on that site to be active as well as whether or not you want to allow comments to be posted on the site by the agents. I don't know if that is the same everywhere, but I advise not participating in this "service." The comments are either silly or generic and meaningless.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,983,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Just because someone has the money to buy a house doesnt mean they have any sense
Amen! I saw a "custom" house two weeks ago. Beautiful neighborhood, beautiful view, beautiful lot.. great basement and garage. House very attractive from the exterior. Priced near the top of the market.

But that's where it ended.

The floor plan was a disaster. They turned a 5 x 8 pantry into a powder room. To add insult to injury the kitchen was small.....terrible storage. The front bedroom which is supposed to be the office/guest bedroom with one closet is the master. The master bath is accessed via pocket door from the bedroom... it's the master bath as it contains the expensive whirlpool tub. Tiny marble shower. This so-called masterbath is also accessed from the foyer!

The larger bedroom in the back of the house has three walk-in closets and a private bathroom with nice glass shower.

The 17 x 11 formal dining room has 4 sets of French doors. The bump-out is all windows. Consequently, the longest wall is only three feet. Where does one put the buffet? china cabinet? The living room? No..... same problem with wall space in the living room. French doors and windows and fireplace take up the wall space.

The second floor is 1140 sq ft. Of that 35% of the floor space is closets at the expense of bedroom size and layout. HUGE closets... and only one contained anything at all. And the finished ceiling height is only 7'6". It's very dark upstairs and it was a bright sunny day when I toured.

This has nothing to do with floorplan... but the 13 year old oil furnace had 4 service cards completed on both sides. "No heat" "No hot water" "No heat" "No hot water". Piece of junk should have been replaced after the first year. You know where the builder took short cuts. The driveway only has less than an inch of pea stone coverage left. It bloody snows in New England. How the devil do you plow or snowblow? This is not a summer home. It's year-round.

And they wonder why they've sat on the market for 5 months?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:55 PM

8,165 posts, read 6,914,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
My realtor told me he had a client who saw a house and turned it down because there were too many outlets.
funny!

Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 PM

8,165 posts, read 6,914,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If you've ever watched HGTV's House Hunters nothing will surprise you anymore. I remember one lady complaining about a shade tree in the backyard because it would attract birds and their singing would disturb her.

hmmmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Then there's the other couple who complained that the neighbors in the 2 story house next door to the 1 story house they were looking at could see into their yard. I'm not sure what they wanted to do in their backyard that required such privacy since there wasn't even a pool back there. Maybe they were planning to sacrifice baby goats and didn't want any eyewitnesses?
Now THAT one I completely understand. There is no way I would buy a house that didn't have a completely private backyard. It's a must. I treasure my privacy. Everyone is different, some people are just extremely private, but it doesnt mean we're sacrificing goats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate